DVDVR Message Board

POLL 12/10-12/16/2022- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? GOOD GOD!

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• KiLynn King vs Angelina Love- NWA USA
    • El Hijo del Vikingo vs Laredo Kid- AAA
    • Shota Umino vs Will Ospreay- New Japan on AXS
    • GUNTHER vs Ricochet- SMACKDOWN
    • Jon Moxley vs Sammy Guevara- RAMPAGE
    • Dustin Rhodes/ Trent Barretta/ Chuck Taylor/ Orange Cassidy vs Trent Seven/ The Butcher/ The Blade/ Kip Sabian- RAMPAGE
    • Master Wato/ Tomoaki Honma/ YOSHI-HASHI vs El Desperado/ Lance Archer/ Minoru Suzuki
    • Ruaka vs Ami Sourei- STARDOM
    • Willie Mack/ BATEMAN vs Invictus Kash/ Jordan Clearwater- CWFH
    • Mascarada Dorada vs Jeff Cobb- ROH Zero Hour
    • Trish Adora vs Willow Nightingale- ROH Zero Hour
    • Dante Martin/ Darius Martin vs Mike Bennett/ Matt Taven- ROH Zero Hour
    • Maika Ozaki/ Ram Kaicho vs Tam Nakano/ Waka Tsukiyama- STARDOM
    • Oskar Leube/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher/ Mark Davis)- New Japan World
    • El Hijo de Canis Lupus vs Galeno Del Mal- IWRG
    • Penelope Pink vs Chantilly Chella- WOW
    • Luther/El Serpentico/ Brandon Cutler vs Josh Woods/ Tony Nese/ Ari Daivari- AEW Elevation
    • The Tonga Twins vs Miami Sweet Heat- WOW
    • Asuka vs Rhea Ripley- RAW
    • Bobby Lashley vs Seth Rollins- RAW
    • Davey Richards vs SB KENTo- MLW
    • Candice LeRae vs IYO SKY- RAW
    • Akira Tozawa/ Montez Ford/ Angelo Dawkins vs Damien Priest/ Finn Balor/ Dominick Mysterio- RAW
    • AJ Styles vs Chad Gable- RAW
    • Masaaki Mochizuki/ Mochizuki Jr/ Susumu Mochizuki/ Yasushi Kanda vs Eita/ Kaito Nagano/ Mondai Ryu/ Yoshiki Kato- Dragon Gate
    • Mandy Rose vs Roxanne Perez- NXT
    • JD McDonagh vs Brutus Creed- NXT
    • Stacks vs Wes Lee- NXT
    • Kosei Fujita/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Alex Zayne/ El Lindaman- New Japan World
    • Kevin Knight/ KUSHIDA vs Mikey Nicholls/ Shane Haste- New Japan World
    • El Hijo del Vikingo vs Puma King vs Black Taurus- AAA
    • Cancerbero/ Luciferno/ Virus vs Dark Panther/ Panterita del Ring/ Panterita del Ring Jr- CMLL
    • Masha Slamovich vs Gia Scott- Women's Wrestling Army
    • Alex Shelley/ Chris Sabin vs Rhino/ Heath- IMPACT!
    • Penta El Zero Miedo/ Rey Fenix/ PAC vs Matt Jackson/ Nick Jackson/ Kenny Omega- DYNAMITE
    • Eddie Kingston/ Ortiz vs Slim J/ Jeeves Kay- AEW Dark
    • Action Andretti vs Chris Jericho- AEW Dynamite
    • Ricky Starks vs MJF- AEW Dynamite
    • Tay Melo vs Ruby Soho- DYNAMITE
    • Jack Perry vs Brian Cage- DYNAMITE

Man!  That was LOT of free wrestling this week, but the MEGA matches didn't really kick in until Friday night!  And then it was between GUNTHER/Ricochet and MOX/Sammy.  MOX/Sammy had BLOOD!  GUNTHER/Ricochet had GUNTHER beating the shit out of Ricochet.  Winner?  GUNTHER!  There were LOADS of Lucha Libre and FRIDAY AAA posted the MEGA match, Laredo Kid vs Vikingo that Schneider and Meltzer recommended so highly and it fucking rules.  THEN Stardom streamed NEW BLOOD on Friday!  Jesus!  What a day!  And there were 48 matches BEFORE all that hit.  THUS, it will be the biggest Cut List EVER!  Your Fringe Match was the Masha Slamovich/Gia Scott match from Women's Wrestling Army which edged out Davey Richards versus SB KENTo match.  Oh man, BEST FRIDAY EVER!  WRESTLEWISE!

CUTLIST: Britt Baker vs Skye Blue- RAMPAGE; Sammi Callihan vs Angels- IMPACT!; Kosei Fujita/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Oskar Leube/ Yuto Nakashima- New Japan World;  Shane Haste/ Bad Dude Tito vs Beef Candy- CWFH;  Angelo Parker/ Matt Menard vs Eli Issom/ Cheeseburger- ROH Zero Hour;  Athena vs Madi Wrenkowski- AEW Elevation;  Nick Comoroto/ Aaron Solo vs Darius Martin/ Dante Martin- AEW Elevation;  Diosa Quetzal vs Sagitarius- IWRG;  Robbie Rockette vs Kandi Krush- WOW;  Alexa Bliss vs Bayley- RAW;  Toscano vs Laredo Kid vs Villano V Jr- AAA;  Lady Shani vs La Hiedra vs Artemiz vs Sexy Star- AAA;  Zeuxis vs Chik Tormenta vs Lady Flammer vs Dulce Canela- AAA;  Jordan Blade vs Sierra- Women's Wrestling Army;  Kip Sabien vs Tony Deppen- AEW Dark;  Elias vs Solo Sikoa- RAW; Juice Robinson vs Hagane Shinno- AEW Elevation; Don Fujii/ Ryu Fuda/ Kaito Nagano/ Yoshiki Kato vs Masaki Mochizuki/ Susumu Mochizuki/ Yasushi Kanda/ Mochizuki Jr- Dragon Gate;  Mirai/ Tomoka Inaba/ Nanami vs Momo Kohgo/ Saya Iida/ Hanan- STARDOM;  Thekla/ Mai Sakurai vs Starlight Kid/ Karma- STARDOM;  Allysin Kay/ Kayla Kassidy vs Madi/ Samantha Starr- NWA USA;  Lady C vs Nanae Takihashi- STARDOM;  Zeda Zhang vs Alex Gracia- CWFH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen Vikingo vs Laredo yet.

But.

Action vs Ocho was not a technical classic or a bloody brawl or (thank gawd) a lotsa-flash epic multi-finisher-kickout Meltzer-pleaser...

But...

...it made me +and *the crowd*) mark out so hard.

I think I'm just going to pick my FAVOURITE match this week. Even if it's easy to assume the Vikingo match was "better."

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

Just now, Gordlow said:

I haven't seen Vikingo vs Laredo yet.

But.

Action vs Ocho was not a technical classic or a bloody brawl or (thank gawd) a lotsa-flash epic multi-finisher-kickout Meltzer-pleaser...

But...

it made me mark out so hard.

I think I'm just going to pick my FAVOURITE match this week. Even if it's easy to assume the Vikingo match was "better."

I don't think Laredo/Vikingo was the best Lucha match I've seen this year.  It's great but it didn't have Pig Destroyer or a Cerebro Negro bloodbath in it.

• Like 2

Vikingo vs. Laredo Kid reminded me of a story I read about Guns N' Roses. When they got signed to Geffen Records, one of the first things they did was go to the record company with a Jane's Addiction demo tape and say "Thanks for signing us, but we fucking suck compared to these guys!".

Vikingo, in his prime, as World Champion, put over someone of lesser standing that he's obviously a mark for.

Jericho vs. Andretti didn't have that impact because Jericho's past his prime and Andretti's comparatively not as talented.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Jericho vs. Andretti didn't have that impact because Jericho's past his prime and Andretti's comparatively not as talented.

Jericho is fuckin' Tenryu.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

GUNTHER vs. Ricochet.

Honourable mention to Action Andretti vs Chris Jericho.

I have such recency bias that I almost went with Sammy/MOX because it was the last great match I saw before voting.  But GUNTHER is so undeniably great. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I have such recency bias that I almost went with Sammy/MOX because it was the last great match I saw before voting.  But GUNTHER is so undeniably great. 

We nearly always vote the same. GUNTHER is one of the best wrestlers in the world.

• Thanks 1

Raw, NXT, and Dynamite all had some good stuff that didn't really stand out above each other though I do appreciate Jericho/Andretti for putting on a solid-good match alongside a big moment as well. They could have easily left it at just the moment, but went above and beyond to make sure Andretti left some kind of impression. I know it was likely done just so Jericho could pat himself on the back, but it was still impressive with perfect the crowd reaction was.

Umino/Ospreay was the first match I thought I was going to vote for. Really good all around with Umino putting on an impressive showcase just keeping up with Ospreay to the degree he did. He really left as fine impression in the final third or so showing that fighting spirit when it looked like Ospreay had him dead.

Vikingo/Laredo Kid was kind of just fine for me until the last five minutes which were pretty damn great. Its wildly overrated in the end, but those final five minutes definitely carried it to the good level at least.

Mox/Sammy was solid, but I dug Sammy's matches with Bryan more. Blood for me in AEW has somewhat diminishing returns with how often its around. It also just feels a bit out of character to me in a truly off way when a guy like Sammy is embracing the bitey brawler aspect. I prefer him just being a cocky piece of shit. I did like Tay's slap and the finish. I ended up digging Best Friends/Dustin vs. B&TB/Kip/Seven more. That 8-man tag was not the best of AEW matches this week, but it definitely the most fun for me.

For once I actually voted for what I thought was the best match this week in Gunther/Ricochet. That was such a fantastic clash of styles with Ricochet showing tons of passion in his comebacks alongside his usual amazing looking athletic offense. Gunther was just an amazing force of nature keeping Ricochet down as much as he did. Typically I'd have voted for something else to make sure it got seen, but I can never be sure how much attention Smackdown matches will get here. There was also nothing else that really made me think people need to see this outside of maybe Umino/Ospreay.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the first time ever doing this I have actually changed my mind and changed my vote from the The Elite Vs Death Triangle to Ricochet Vs GUNTHER. 

What a great match. Ricochet come out of it looking better despite the loss.

• Like 2

I still have to watch Smackdown. GUNTHER vs. Ricochet seems like it was made for me .

Going by what I watched this week — Any other week is would have been the eight-man on Rampage because of my OC/Best Friends fandom. Another impeccably laid out match heightened by the lovable antics of all involved - especially the OC/Danhausen Lie, Cheat and Steal tribute. 

But Jericho/Andretti was perfect professional wrestling. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Impact's still enjoying last week's big triumph, so with this week being mostly a battle of 2, my favorite match from the week was undoubtedly Jericho/Andretti 

Yeah, IMPACT! was kinda rough this week.  I hear good things about Speedball Mike Bailey versus Yuya tomorrow though.

• Like 1

Our WINNER is...... GUNTHER vs Ricochet- SMACKDOWN!

Second place is Chris Jericho vs Action Andretti!

Our disappointing underachiever- Sammy versus MOX!

• Like 2