DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK FIFTEEN

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not that big a surprise but the Colts are shutting down Jonathan Taylor for the rest of the season after he suffered a high ankle sprain this weekend.

Yea no big surprise, my dad has him in his fantasy league and I told him if its a low ankle sprain, maybe he plays in two weeks but if its high then he's done for the year. Just no need for the Colts to push it.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The funny part was dopey Collingsworth saying they didn't call the Pass Interference that changed the result of the play because the referees "don't like to call fouls" at the end of a game, right after they threw the flag on the illegal formation which had no impact on the play. The formation call was right of course, but the commentary comment was just silly.

Well, he's sort of right. Refs don't like making judgment calls in that situation. Stuff like lining up wrong or 12 men on the field, no problem. That's objective. But PI isn't so they swallow the whistle. See it all the time in hockey - an extremely close offsides gets called and then 3 seconds later, a guy gets hauled down with no call. 

I hate it. It's gutless officiating. Make the call. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Well, he's sort of right. Refs don't like making judgment calls in that situation. Stuff like lining up wrong or 12 men on the field, no problem. That's objective. But PI isn't so they swallow the whistle. See it all the time in hockey - an extremely close offsides gets called and then 3 seconds later, a guy gets hauled down with no call. 

It's always that "we don't want the refs to decide the game" horseshit. Like not calling it also decides games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

It's always that "we don't want the refs to decide the game" horseshit. Like not calling it also decides games.

just as "art should not try to make a political statement" is itself a political statement, the idea that "refs shouldn't decide the game" decides games passively rather than actively.

To say nothing of the fact that a 1st Qtr call can be as impactful on a final result as one [not] made in the 4th. 

48 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And that's why I hate it. If you stop making calls, you let the less-skilled player win. And that decides games as much as making a call does. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

From my experience it just isn't necessarily always true. I've seen games extended by defensive penalties, hell in the Bills/Dolphins game there was a long PI on the last drive that not everyone in Dolphins' Nation was real happy with. They may not "like" doing it but they certainly do it sometimes and that was a pretty blatant one in the Giants game. I am not a conspiracy guy or anything, I don't think its part of the NFL wanting to keep Washington out of the playoffs, I just think that in general the refs aren't consistent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everybody seems to be flashing back to the 90s about that PI no call. I don’t just mean 1 person here. It’s all over the place. Does the guy with the most annoying voice in the world’s words have that much effect on people lol! The 90s is when they wouldn’t have called it, especially if it were consistent with the rest of the game. There have been more PIs called to extend drives/games on the last drives of primetime games in this era than ever before. Not been called all game? No big deal we’ll just call 3 in row inside the 10 or however many it was in the SB. 

Edited by BloodyChamp