DVDVR Message Board

WINTER IS COMING III - DYNAMITE - 12/14/2022

DEAN

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

A lot of credit for Andretti should really go to QT Marshall.  The match they had on Dark was QT giving the brightest amount of shine to a relative unknown who previously lost a few matches.  The fact it was in DC at the time (close to where he regularly is at MCW) helped give the crowd more incentive to give a damn about him.  But it really not only made me think "Hmm...maybe one day..." with Action but also cemented my take that QT is the MVP of Dark/Elevation.  It wouldn't surprise me if Jericho was looking for an opponent and QT got in his ear.  And while the finish was a total "Wait, what?!" moment it also was beautifully done as it built off the organic build in interest from the crown.  Andretti's not always going to have two aces helping him so I hope he can consistently bring the goods.  But if he can then he's got a helluva future.  Speaking of MCW he's going to be on their show on the 30th that has no outside talent appearing.  So he's going to make some serious bank off the merch table.

Also, there's a thought creeping in my head that thinks back to when Jungle Boy went against Jericho.  It might have been too soon then.  But if JB had this type of win instead of the close-but-not-quite result I can imagine how much sooner his stock would have risen.

Apparently Jericho wanted to do this angle after the QT match but they had to put it on hold due to him becoming the Ocho

3 minutes ago, DEAN said:

But Ted never held a job.  

that's part of the fun 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing that Acclaimed vs Gunn Boys is pretty much settled for the moment?

but if it isn't.. after Jarrett/Lethal don't win the belts, then Jeff Jarrett adopts Billy Gunn's sons and renames them Austin and Colten Jarrett, and sends them after the Acclaimed. (Okay, probably not, for multiple good reasons). Jeff Jarrett shows up on shows with the energy of the guy who gets booked because he has a valid promoters license that the show needs.

"Jarrett teaching the Gunns MMA" is a backstage skit that needs to happen now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, L_W_P said:

"Jarrett teaching the Gunns MMA" is a backstage skit that needs to happen now.

Jeff can teach them MMA and horseriding so that they can start dressing like the Smoking Gunns as punkass cowboys.

considering MJF's upcoming movie role, I'm guessing that Bart Gunn won't send Lance Gunn to AEW to team with the Gunn Boys.

You know what, the Gunns dethroning The Acclaimed is probably the right mid-long term move TBH.

They had Billy, then Stokley. Send them to Jarrett. Maybe Arn for a stint? Tell the story of them learning and getting better along the way and you could get a pretty cool run out of them.

I wanted FTR to take all the gold but now that they don't have the ROH titles (and will presumably drop the IWGP belts at WK) then the Gunns getting one back over The Acclaimed, winning the belts and maybe their Daddy's love in the process, would work just fine.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

5) Man, that main event was fucking perfection. A+. Straight up Starcarde 1997 shit with MJF doing all kinds of old-school heel stuff but without it feeling like a cover band. Ricky Starks was a great Sting at the first Clash of Champions. Dragon coming out looking for revenge was Dusty Rhodes. Another MOTYC. There were so many great things in this match. For all of his warts as a character, MJF is a fantastic throwback heel. He's watched every Flair/Tully/DiBiase classic but makes it his own. It's a great differentiator because everyone else of the past two decades of wrestling has completely different influences. 

But that was a fantastic performance by Ricky Starks, too. Wonderful babyface.

As far as the booking of the match: I think that was absolutely perfect. MJF won in the most cheap bullshit way possible He now moves on to Dragon. Sting didn't win at his first big shot at the title. He didn't lose since it was a time limit draw with split judges. But Starks should be the person who dethrones MJF next year. He needs a great second feud. Would love him versus Jericho or Sami but looks like they're going another direction. 

I still think Starks should have won, but more for MJF's sake than for Starks's. Great heels need great comeuppances, and MJF going on and on about how long he was going to hold the title, and having all the fans believe that was what was going to happen, only to be the first AEW titleholder to go down on his first defence would have been great. And they only had one shot at doing it.

Also, Darby Allin should now be the person who dethrones MJF.

• Like 3

I am in awe of that Jericho match.  Perfect pro wrestling.  Masterful.  He might have changed my Mox vote for WOTY.  OCHOOOO!

Good meaty story telling across the boards on this episode.  AEW has shed its Punk skin.

I heard somewhere somebody saying something along the lines of sprucing up the Dynamite set for a bigger show.  Nah.  Save that for the PPV.  Let just Dynamite also be big.  The weekly shows need to be important. All the time.  More.

Title matches on tv fucking rules.

• Like 10

This is probably awful to say right after he got signed and had such a match with Jericho but Action Andretti is a real low-NXT-level name, just terrible. I know there is always a debate on "would Stone Cold have ever been stone Cold if he was named Chilly Mcfreeze" vs. "CM Punk is a bad name much like many others, people get used to them", but if he is signed and they plan on doing something with it it might not be a bad idea to move Action to a nickname and try to shift his name to something, you know, good.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2022 at 9:08 AM, Pete said:

I'm completely amazed at Jericho totally making Andretti in 10 minutes. He a) lost b) clean c) to the kid's finisher. Didn't even do the shitty kickout at 3.01 seconds... he sold the crap out of it. More vets should look at how he handled his business as a shining example of how to elevate a kid.

MJF really flashed his wrestling bonafides with that nasty stretch sequence near the finish. Glorious stuff. That said, they could've done better by Starks with that finish... he got chumped. Not a good look. Re Danielson, this shouldn't be about the title at all and he should mention that. Tell MJF that he wouldn't take any satisfaction from winning that Burberry monstrosity... he just wants to torture MJF to within an inch of his life for what he did to Regal, and screw the title. Put the absolute fear of God in the man.

Yeah, the easiest and most believable way for MJF to retain in a match against Danielson is for Danielson to get himself DQed because he won't stop beating the shit out of MJF while caught in the grip of a vengeance driven state of blind fury.  Maybe he even punches the ref?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

On 12/15/2022 at 2:43 AM, punkenhead said:

Ricky Starks looked strong in defeat, but it certainly seemed like he was quickly swept to the side in favor of Danielson/MJF.

I think he has shown his worth as an upper tier performer, and it would be a shame to see him quickly slide back down the card. 

All the matches tonight were good or better...not a single clunker in the bunch.

Maybe I am old and cynical, but if I paid for 2nd through 4th row seats, I would be pretty pissed off having to stare at the asses of Muscles Meltzer and crew all night. Did they ever sit down?

Again, maybe I'm old, but does anyone else have to constantly crank up the volume during backstage interviews and crank it down during in ring action? You would think they could level that stuff out and make it consistent.

Jeers to floor seats in general. Passed those first couple rows it's potentially awful sightlines throughout the night. I guess there good if you don't mind watching half the show on the Trons. That backstage promo lower audio situation is a longstanding issue that really deserves some awareness. 

Yeah, this was a fucking incredible show! Tears of joy for that Andretti-Jericho bout. A direct mainline shot of pure thrills! I gotta get a proper look at the Tay-Ruby contest. Sounds like I missed something special at 530 in the morning while making a sandwich. So much great wrestling on this episode, great promos (Kudos to the Hangman), and they set the table for weeks to come (especially excited for Moriarty and the Jungler). AEmuthafuckinDUB!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

Apparently Jericho wanted to do this angle after the QT match but they had to put it on hold due to him becoming the Ocho

Well, then I say it's official.  QT Marshall is the absolute MVP of Dark/Elevation.  He's really been an unsung hero throughout AEW's time and deserves a shitton of respect for his contributions to the company.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, then I say it's official.  QT Marshall is the absolute MVP of Dark/Elevation.  He's really been an unsung hero throughout AEW's time and deserves a shitton of respect for his contributions to the company.

Seconded - I was a massive QT hater for the first year or two of AEW, but at this point, he's done enough great things to totally shed the stink of being 'Cody's buddy' for me. 

• Like 2

I still think QT works a little "strong" sometimes and I'd rather him work 20% more like a manager/coach who wrestles as opposed to a wrestler who manages/coaches. He'd just get more heat that way and put over guys (especially his own!). For instance, he has his jump up moonsault, and he makes sure to never, ever hit it. But even in the attempt, it's probably showing a certain level of athleticism which doesn't serve the need AEW has for him quite as much. Part of the problem is that AEW doesn't have heels that can take losses. That's why we see so much Jay Lethal, right? People complain all the time about that, but they don't want Miro in that same role eating losses instead. QT, Nese, Lethal. They're the guys who can lose but still give good matches and have a certain level of credibility due to heat (QT), title history (Lethal), look/athleticism (Nese). I'd just rather QT take a quarter step back and a Comoroto be that guy instead, boosted by QT.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I kept thinking Andretti reminded me of some older wrestler. He's a bit flashy, but not in a "holy shit" way like young Rey or Dante Martin. He's got a good look, but nothing that stands out too much. Then it hit me: he reminds me of young Chris Jericho. Have to wonder if Jericho feels the same about him?

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Log said:

Then it hit me: he reminds me of young Chris Jericho. Have to wonder if Jericho feels the same about him?

I didnt think of this during the match, but in retrospect, that's a very good call by you.

Even physique-wise, he has that more thick/stocky thing going on like Jericho, rather than a Rey or Dante type.

In terms of the match itself, you could point to that springboard-corkscrew thing he did as being sort of analogous to the lionsault as a nice flashy pin transition. 

I think you're on to something. If I have time this weekend, I may need to do a little SMW-era-Jericho revisit to refresh myself on where he was at during a similar age/point in career - I've only ever seen that stuff once.

• Like 1

Watched the show early Thursday AM without spoilers.  Crowd was nuclear during the Jericho match, added so much to it.  You could catch Jericho early in the match couldn't wipe the smirk off his face when he realized they already had the crowd before they'd barely even done anything.  I watched the international feed and I'm assuming they went to break after the Codebreaker, which is a shame because that's when the crowd was at it's hottest.  I was shocked when he kicked out of that.  Awesome stuff.  I've seen a few people say they should have done this with someone more established already who needed a big win rather than a complete nobody which to me is asinine.  You do that and it wouldn't be what we got at all, the crowd wouldn't have reacted the same, it would be something completely different.  This had to be someone like Andretti.  Had never seen him before and he showed great poise.  There was one point where he went to the top rope and the crowd was going banana and the announcers pointed it out right after I was thinking how crazy this had to be for the kid and he better not stop to think about what's happening.  Really interested to see how they follow this up.  You can only really do something like this once so hopefully Andretti is up to the spot.  Great name btw.

Weakest of the 4 trios matches so far but I was fine with the story being told.  Adding some stips for the final 3 was a good call.

This interaction might have been during the break but it cracked me up:

(Cutler is checking on Nick outside)

Taz:  "Brandon Cutler checking on Nick, we're not talking about a certified trainer here..."

Callis:  "not quite..."

Taz: (takes a beat) Cutler's "not quite" anything.....

Also loved Stokely's "RIP NEW JACK" after calling for some music during the beatdown.  LMAO.  I'm starting to enjoy Stokely again.

• Like 4