DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

He won't even be ready to go by the time the next PPV rolls around. So what are we even talking about? Instead of letting any potential return simmer, we're fantasy-hot-shotting it with a music-distraction finish? We can do better than this. Elite over clean and they move onto their next feud with _________. Or have them go through a series of different trios, starting with AR Fox and Top Flight. Done.

Besides, Meltzer is again circulating rumours about Jericho and other top names saying they'd make sure Punk stays gone. So, we're at that part of his endless cycle again. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Dax said he drinks with Best Friends after Dynamite a lot.)

I gave your post the sad face (along with many others) because as much as I looooove fantasy booking, I tend to agree with the idea that even if the stars were to align, there's likely a good contingent of the locker room that wouldn't welcome him back - short of both a private apology, and a public apology to the audience 'as loud as the disrespect' and all. 

On the lighter side of things, the portion quoted makes me unreasonably happy. Dax (Cash too) would've been great guests on Best Friends' old Highspots show, I hope they do a drunken episode of Dax's pod sometime soon. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Regardless, I still have a feeling that the Elite don’t win match 7. It feels too telegraphed and there’s unfinished business between the House of Black and Death Triangle.

Agree that there is great potential for this to happen. While I think it's a great idea as a big HoB devotee, I hope it's just one big blowoff match, and not another series - it's not the fault of anyone involved, but with the constant stop/starts due to injury and COVID/travel stuff, that feud felt like it went on way, way too long.

IMO, losing the titles to HoB in one big match isn't gonna hurt DT at all, because you can say they were beat up from the grueling Bucks series - and you can always revisit the hammer usage/dissension stuff if you have to, too.

• Like 1

Any unfinished business should remain unfinished. That stuff went on long enough to diminish both acts, no reason to throw HoB back onto that treadmill when they just came back into the fold. Surely Tony's smart enough to see the guffaws of "this again, really?" coming from around that corner. Time for new business. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He won't even be ready to go by the time the next PPV rolls around.

According to The Googles....

How long does a torn triceps take to heal? Full recovery after a triceps tear can take about six months. When does a torn triceps require surgery? Triceps tears that involve more than 50% of the tendon typically require surgery.

August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March... Revolution is about 6.75 months from the tear...

Just saying. Dax & Punk are tight. He wouldn't have floated that thought without Punk's blessing. Punk himself commented on a post today saying when there is an issue like The Elite & Punk one in wrestling, guys should just shake hands and let it go with "duh". Punk seemingly has the opinion of wanting to come back & let bygones be bygones. I'm not saying it's going to happen. But it's certainly on the table.

And his injury should just about be all healed up. You know wrestling inflates the length of recovery so everyone looks like Superman when they come back early. CMFTR vs The Elite would be dope if we do get it.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

According to The Googles....

August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March... Revolution is about 6.75 months from the tear...

Not to poopoo, but he suffered the tear on September 4th. March 5th is about as optimistic a timetable as one could imagine, so much so that I've completely put it out of my mind as pure fantasy. 

Now of course I want to be very wrong, lol. 

The injury is a non factor in the whole situation. He seems to be pretty mobile and healthy and not wearing any brace while doing MMA commentary. So the real sticking point is how The Elite feel / how much truth there is to the Jericho 'I wont let him come back' stuff / if he's willing to apologize and all that.

It's by no means a lock. But I think there are feelers out there. I don't think this is like his Colt grudge or his WWE grudge. I think he's wiling to let this one go. But the ball is not in his court. The ball is in TK's court / The Elite's court / the locker room's court.

I very much want it to happen. And I'm starting to see a path for it to be possible for the first time. But it's certainly not something I'm saying is a lock. Punk is super private. But him posting a comment on a post asking for everyone to shake hands and move on good indicator that he's over it all. Or at least I hope so.

• Like 4

i've kind of absentmindedly watched the Death Triangle-Elite feud, but am interested to see what happens in Match 7.

regardless who wins, i'm more interested in the next challengers. Elite-House of Black? Death Triangle-Best Friends? sign me up for either. Mox/Claudio/Yuta vs. any of the aforementioned? yup. Hangman/Silver/Reynolds vs. anybody? double yup. a potential CM Punk/FTR vs. whoever? not my first choice, but sure, i'll give it a shot. But if we get Kingston/Santana/Ortiz, i'm all in regardless of their opponent.

• Like 1

Call me an AEW optimist...but in my opinion all this Jericho/lockerroom leaders not wanting Punk back is a false flag and part of a work which was established after all sides made up behind closed doors. The stuff from the Dax pod is part of the work. I can see "Jericho not wanting Punk back in the locker room" being Chris angling for a big singles match down the road. Maybe its me and my rose colored AEW glasses....but I'm hoping that im right because if Punk comes back there are alot interesting places they can go.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

i've kind of absentmindedly watched the Death Triangle-Elite feud, but am interested to see what happens in Match 7.

regardless who wins, i'm more interested in the next challengers. Elite-House of Black? Death Triangle-Best Friends? sign me up for either. Mox/Claudio/Yuta vs. any of the aforementioned? yup. Hangman/Silver/Reynolds vs. anybody? double yup. a potential CM Punk/FTR vs. whoever? not my first choice, but sure, i'll give it a shot. But if we get Kingston/Santana/Ortiz, i'm all in regardless of their opponent.

There is just tons of potential BIG matches within the trios title scene and loads more slightly less big, but certainly exciting, quality wrestling. All of the teams you mentioned, any three guys from the Firm, my dream trios team of Jungle Boy, Hook and Action Andretti, any of the teams in the battle royal, not mentioned yet. It does pain me that Dragon Lee, Rush and Andrade (or Dralistico) won't be part of this and yeah, Aussie Open & Osprey (or even with someone else) would be a great addition, too. But even without them, the potential is off the charts, if you start giving more contenders' matches and wider array of challengers. You have enough big names in those teams that you could potentially headline plenty of weekly shows with those matches and I would never complain. But then again, I must be amongst the easiest ones to please with this stuff, so what do I know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Only thing that’s preventing Punk from being trusted again is his lack of learning how to grow up, and finish your goddamn meal. Mistico seemed to eventually learn that. I just don’t think Punk is capable of doing it whatsoever.

I'd really be curious to see some sort of straw poll with the lockeroom; as far as what percentage is willing to take him back in and what percentage isn't.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'd really be curious to see some sort of straw poll with the lockeroom; as far as what percentage is willing to take him back in and what percentage isn't.

I would.

For Punk: Danielson, #FTR, Samoa Joe, Claudio, Moxley, MJF.

Against: Jericho, Bucks, Adam Page, Kingston.

I can see Omega more open to Punk returning than the Bucks even though The Elite are so close.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I would.

For Punk: Danielson, #FTR, Samoa Joe, Claudio, Moxley, MJF.

Against: Jericho, Bucks, Adam Page, Kingston.

I can see Omega more open to Punk returning than the Bucks even though The Elite are so close.

Until Max puts pen to paper I wouldn’t exactly value his opinions. Same with FTR. There’s a decent chance in just over 12 months all three of them are gone. Bryan would be in favor of it simply because he’s too nice to make an issue out of anything. I feel like Claudio fits that description too. 

I think more guys would be against it too for the simple fact of if he returns it’s less tv time for them, and it’s not like he was drawing big enough ratings at the end to push people down the card. 

My main thing is if he’s behaving like a man child at 44 then he’s never going to grow the hell up, and the media scrum proved that. He’s a complete malcontent, and I don’t see what value he’d bring to the company after the feud with The Elite (which odds are Matt and Nick end up rejecting anyhow).

• Like 2