DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

22 hours ago, Dog said:

I'm just curious what it is people connect with. The straight edge part? Something else? Surely there must be at least one specific thing you can articulate? I swear I'm not trying to come after you here; just trying to get to something tangible to help me understand. 

Sorry, just noticed this part. So you think Hangman Page is an empty-headed dumb fuck who's never done anything in wrestling? And that the Bucks leaked stuff about Cabana to the sheets, even though every sheet-writer swears they didn't? 

Hangman had the most forgettable title run in AEW history and he was only even in that position because he carried the young bucks bags for years prior to AEW. 

Then he alienated the biggest (by far) draw in the company by cutting an awful “shoot” promo most people didn’t even understand.

Then he talks on a podcast about being too stubborn to listen to people that were actually successful in the industry and that are bona fide legends. That’s embarrassing given how unimpressive his resume his and how underwhelming his title run was.

His lack of humility and stupidity will likely end up costing AEW millions in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Punk’s a big baby who had a great run in AEW. Hanger is seemingly a decent guy, but in my mind his notable moments this year were cutting a bad promo that cost TK a bunch of money and managing to make Bryan Danielson matches boring.

I will admit the Buckshot over the ref in the Archer match was cool as hell. 

• Like 3

Really not sure how anyone could possibly think Hangman/Danielson, either one was boring, but to each their own.  Also, the most forgettable title run is going to belong to CM Punk and he should've never won it in the first place.  Every single match Hangman had as champ was pretty damn great, especially both Danielson matches and the match against Archer.  Being booked as second fiddle, despite being champ, to Punk and the Elite and whatever the hell else was going on wasn't his fault but TK's.  Everytime he needed to come up in a match, he did and his promos are fantastic.

Punk not being on AEW is addition by subtraction and I enjoyed it when the Elite were gone too.  

• Like 2

Punk has a reputation as a generally unhappy person.  He has a history of thinking he should be pushed more than he is and convincing himself the grass would be greener elsewhere.  A lot of his unhappiness in WWE had to do with his perceived ceiling and the fact he was never going to be “the guy” so long as Cena was around.  I mean, there’s really nothing wrong with being in the second biggest match at WM, but not enough for Punk.  He probably had issues with Hangman, but his problems in AEW seem to have a lot more to do with old grudges and dismissing the evp’s as nobodies who had never been anywhere.

It seems quite possible Punk was going to eventually become alienated and unhappy regardless of Page, Cabana, or anyone else.

• Like 4

When Punk comes back on Dynamite in a few months and you're all gushing over him, I'm going to quote all these sour grapes posts back at you.

Paul Heyman convinced the world that Mike Awesome was an evil man because he dared to leave ECW, where Heyman's checks were bouncing, to get a steady job and feed his family.

Tribalism is stupid and you should be able to separate the talent from the company.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

When Punk comes back on Dynamite in a few months and you're all gushing over him, I'm going to quote all these sour grapes posts back at you.

Paul Heyman convinced the world that Mike Awesome was an evil man because he dared to leave ECW, where Heyman's checks were bouncing, to get a steady job and feed his family.

Tribalism is stupid and you should be able to separate the talent from the company.

If/when Punk comes back, it's going to be a dark, dark day for AEW.  That guy is a cancer.

Darby’s actually a great example of someone who’s excellent at the things I find deficient in Hanger. He tells compelling stories with just about anyone he’s matched up against. Page’s matches feel like I’m watching someone else play a wrestling video game. A lot of stuff happens, but it’s not why I enjoy wrestling. 

• Like 2

It's weird how much people feel a need to take sides in stuff like the Punk/Elite beef. Like, I get having a preference in the on-screen work of one side over the other. But, why do I care what's happening between them personally? Oh, I do care in the sense that I like following the gossip, but that's just because I find that shit really entertaining. But I personally have no stake in either side. I like things about both of them when they are on my tv, and dislike things about both of them when they are on my tv, but that's where my relationship with them ends.

• Like 8

I just wish someone would combine the intracacies of the character work the Elite does, with the in-ring intracacies that Punk does.

Jay White and Tanahashi probably come the closest to that of anyone I've seen who is still active.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I just wish someone would combine the intracacies of the character work the Elite does, with the in-ring intracacies that Punk does.

A big problem with the presentation of Omega and the Bucks is that all their character development is done on YouTube - so to a casual viewer, they're just athletic mutes.

The average episode of BTE gets around 200,000 views. So assuming they all watch Dynamite, and Dynamite has a floor of 800,000 viewers, that's 75% of the AEW audience that doesn't watch BTE at all.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

@John from Cincinnati sum up the Miro thing?

Meltzer transcribed courtesy of WrestlePurists:

“The Miro story obviously has been talked about ever since he disappeared and people going like “what happened with him?’ And they (AEW), in September, came to him, Tony Khan came to Miro and he had this idea which would build to a match on the November PPV, the November 19th PPV (Full Gear), and he didn’t wanna do it. — Some people it’s weird, a lot of people that come from WWE are very leery… obviously Bryan Danielson being the exception, about doing Jobs and it becomes very difficult to book when you don’t really want to do programs when you’re gonna lose. But anyway they went through and now November’s over, and now we’re in the new cycle and they were gonna bring him back and try come up with ideas for him, and they very well may. Then his wife (Lana/CJ Perry) comes in and says Rusev Day is gonna come back and everybody goes back to WWE (92.7 WMAY Interview). And its like if I’m Tony Khan at this point, given everything that’s happened, and the wife of one of the wrestlers says essentially everyone goes back to WWE, its kinda like why waste my time pushing this guy, I’ve got a 100 guys on the roster who wanna be here and there’s these guys who wanna be in the WWE”

https://wrestlepurists.com/miro-reportedly-turned-down-aew-full-gear-plans/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Same here, he's easily in my top 5 workers in AEW.  As I said before, the only bad match I've seen him in, is the one against Punk.

If you honestly want to understand why someone might like Punk and dislike Page and especially like that match, I wrote about it.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2022/05/aew-five-fingers-of-death-week-of-523_31.html

I think I explained myself fairly thoroughly there. You're free to disagree, but if you really care enough to post about it and really do want to understand, take the time to read about it. If you're being earnest about things, I'm happy to explain further, though I already have a lot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

If you honestly want to understand why someone might like Punk and dislike Page and especially like that match, I wrote about it.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2022/05/aew-five-fingers-of-death-week-of-523_31.html

I think I explained myself fairly thoroughly there. You're free to disagree, but if you really care enough to post about it and really do want to understand, take the time to read about it. If you're being earnest about things, I'm happy to explain further, though I already have a lot.

I read that and it's why I like Hangman.   Doesn't necessarily mean I dislike Punk's in-ring style, even if I think he lacks athleticism and is sloppy, he tells good stories too in a different way.  They both do to me.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 8:20 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

God I hope no one ever drills me on why my favorite wrestlers are my favorite. Some connections are intangible and no two people are going to have those same connections. And honestly its not really anyone else's concern anyway, like who you like. Unless you like Akira Taue or something, then you should do better. (I'm kidding, please don't ban me)

Sure, but now let me tell you why R-Truth is the perfect pro-wrestler...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Red King said:

More AEW PPVS added to the calender? Wrestle Bowl could be one

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1147314/aew-files-to-trademark-potential-new-ppv-names/

I worry if these extra PPVS would cut down the other PPVS buy numbers.

Less is more. I'd stick with the traditional four, well five this year.

• Like 4