DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Currently you have more talent than TV time. You need to do something, plus you want stars on the ROH show

I've still yet to see any evidence that acquiring ROH has any long-term value and this was a good idea. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I've still yet to see any evidence that acquiring ROH has any long-term value and this was a good idea. 

Vile, while it's clear you don't think it's been a good play to buy ROH and incorporate it in with AEW, has there been any aspect of ROH that you have enjoyed? Or just in general someway it's improved anything?

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I think it does, but more as an extension of AEW, than as a stand-alone promotion. But I'll take that to one of the ROH-centric threads - TK said we're going to have less of it in AEW post Final Battle, so we should at this point probably have less of it here, too.

3 hours ago, porksweats said:

bets on who Jericho is wrestling this week? 

I'm not specifically sure, but I have a gut feeling it's going to be a return or debut for some reason. I could totally see a semi-squash where Miro returns and beats him inside 2-5 minutes - maybe they have a whole program and Miro 'puts him on the shelf' before Fozzy goes out in March

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

maybe they have a whole program and Miro 'puts him on the shelf' before Fozzy goes out in March

No Wednesday dates, we'll see. 

Feb 2-6 2023 – Chris Jericho’s Rock ‘N’ Wrestling Rager at Sea – Tickets

Mar 23 – Castle Theater – Bloomington, IL – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Mar 24 – The Art Theater – Hobart, IN – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Mar 25 – The Rave – Milwaukee, WI – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Mar 26 – Bogarts – Cincinnati, OH – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Mar 30 – Jergels – Pittsburgh, PA – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Mar 31 – Mercury Ballroom – Louisville, KY – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 1 – Machine Shop – Flint, MI – SOLD OUT | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 2 – The King of Clubs  – Columbus, OH – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 3 – Intersection – Grand Rapids, MI – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 13 – Underground – Charlotte, NC – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 14 – Soundstage – Baltimore, MD – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 15 – Lost Horizon – Syracuse, NY – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 16 – Brooklyn Bowl – Philadelphia, PA – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

Apr 17 – Elevation – Virginia Beach, VA – Tickets | VIP Meet & Greet | VIP Guest Member

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

Vile, while it's clear you don't think it's been a good play to buy ROH and incorporate it in with AEW, has there been any aspect of ROH that you have enjoyed? Or just in general someway it's improved anything?

I thought "ocho" was amusing and that's about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally watching Rampage but the thread is closed. The Mox/Takeshta match is really good. But man someone needs to put Mox’s blade away. Less is more with bleeding. The blood did not anything to the match. They are building up to a huge grudge match with Hangman and save the blood for that. Bleeding in a Rampage match against a young bull is a waste of wrestling’s best visual aide. 

The absolute last thing AEW needs is anything else with a title. Is Shida’s title adding anything to AEW? Just, like, leave it at home and set this match up and get to the feud with Hayter. Less is more with titles, too. 

Clayton Bloodstone is one of the best jobber names in years. Big Bill looks incredible. Lee Moriarity’s hot shut taunts are good but he has to pace them better. Like 50 percent less. But I like the effort. 

The OC match is so so so weird and good. I love the British comedy match stuff at the start. Bryce does a great job as the straight man. Then Butcher and Blade come out and we have a big brawl and what the hell is any of that? I love how Trent counters OC’s kick with a feint. Like outsmarting the fox. The thing I really like about this match compared to other OC matches is he wrestled more like a pure undersized babyface with JR of all people noting his courage against the bigger challenger with his British tricks. OC getting the out-of-nowhere win was a great character moment. Not the best OC match but he managed to get a slight “This Is Awesome” chant in a match against some random NXT UK dude no one remembers who came in as a flunkie for Kip Sabian of all people. OC really is a master of the craft and as good as it gets.

Man, are they getting to a Dustin versus OC match at some point???? Damn, man, we need that as a world.

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Finally watching Rampage but the thread is closed. The Mox/Takeshta match is really good. But man someone needs to put Mox’s blade away. Less is more with bleeding. The blood did not anything to the match. They are building up to a huge grudge match with Hangman and save the blood for that. Bleeding in a Rampage match against a young bull is a waste of wrestling’s best visual aide. 

It was hardway.

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Really? Looked like a blade since it was straight in his forehead it looked like. 

Takeshita's boot tore the shit out of Moxley's forehead. If you look, the scar is almost like an L shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, porksweats said:

For me, the only real thing ROH added was the Pure title, which I wish would have stayed an AEW belt.  I hope Yuta and Garcia don't disappear from Dynamite due to ROH being a web show.

• Like 2

Every title can be defended on both shows except the TBS AND TNT titles that stay on those networks. 

Dynamite w/ Excaliber, Taz on commentary, JR/Tony/etc rotating third man part of the time. No one is better at MJF disgust than Tony. 

MJF, Wardlow, Cargilll, Sasha Banks, Toni Storm, Saraya, Thunder Rosa, Mercedes Martinez, The Firm, House of Black, PAC, Omega, Bucks, The Acclaimed, Danielson, Yuta, Jungle Boy, Darby, Sting, Swerve, Riho, Bandido, Dark Order, Emi Sakura, Kingston, Ortiz, Butcher, Blade, Bunny, Hook, Absolute Ricky, Luchasaurus. Keith Lee, Hangman, Top Flight, Red Velvet, Christian, 

Rampage w/ Excaliber, Daddy Magic and Chris Jericho on commentary

Punk, Samoa Joe, Claudio, FTR, Moxley, Miro, Deeb, Adam Cole, O’ Reilly, Shida, Lucha Bros, Hype Man, Dalton Castle & the Boys, Statlander, DMD, Athena, Hayter, Rebel, Powerhouse Hobbs, Los Ingobernales, Soho, Briscoes, Sammy, Tay, Anna Jay AS, Cool Hands, Garcia, Big Jake, Danhausen, Orange Cassidy, Best Friends, Takeshita, Kip, Penelope, Abadon, Varsity Blonds, Private Party, Willow, The Hardys, The Factory, 

• Like 3

All this talk about brand split and I'm here thinking about how to take a fantasy football approach to AEW.  I don't even do this for football but I'm kind of amused by the idea of drafting wrestlers with parameters in mind and seeing how their month plays out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

All this talk about brand split and I'm here thinking about how to take a fantasy football approach to AEW.  I don't even do this for football but I'm kind of amused by the idea of drafting wrestlers with parameters in mind and seeing how their month plays out.

If you figure out a way to make a league, I'm 100% in

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

Takeshita's boot tore the shit out of Moxley's forehead. If you look, the scar is almost like an L shape.

isn't there a embedded tweet with a clip where the cameras caught Mox going for his blade again? Like he's grabbing something with his teeth from his wrist tape, and at that time his head isn't bleeding.

44 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Don't think it was hardway, camera panned to Takeshita and shots of the crowd like they always do, whilst Mox lay face down with his face near his forehead. Least he's less obvious than Jericho 😆.

That's one fucked up blade job then. When they showed Mox bleeding he had a huge curved gash on his forehead. I thought it was a hardway cut, but maybe not.

10 minutes ago, wpdougie2180 said:

Rumors circulating that ROH combining with New Japan Strong in some way is a strong possibility. And that is what Tony was hinting at in the scrum. That would certainly be a choice if true. 

I actually really dig this idea, and it's a nice, linear tie-in to the partnership NJPW had with the old ROH administration (though I know things didn't end on the best terms after the Garden).

Alleviates a lot of my concerns about talent sharing, making the show different from AEW both visually and in mission, having the age old 'developmental vs standalone brand' conversation, etc. 

If I was surveyed, I'd say this is the second-best option available for ROH as things currently stand (I still think the #1 best option is to just make it a better Dark and tape two one hour 'AEW: Ring of Honor' episodes before a live Rampage every week). 

• Like 3