DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

🎶🎵 MAKE MY WISH COME TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE... 🎵🎶

🎶🎵 BABY ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS ISSSSSSSSSSS....  🎵🎶

🎶🎵 A thread that doesn't get derailed based on topics that we do *not* need to be discussing here.  🎶🎵

aew-mjf-christmas-story-1249047.jpg

Don't get baited!   Just use the "Ignore User" feature!  ❤️ 

• Like 17

Rampage gets 2 hours and a better time spot, CM Punk says he’ll stay as long as him and the Elite are on separate “Brands”, Tony Kahn hires “YOU” to separate the roster in half. This includes wrestlers, managers, referees, and color commentators. 

Who you got on Dynamite and who you got on Rampage?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Rampage gets 2 hours and a better time spot, CM Punk says he’ll stay as long as him and the Elite are on separate “Brands”, Tony Kahn hires “YOU” to separate the roster in half. This includes wrestlers, managers, referees, and color commentators. 

Rampage

Punk, Hook, Claudio, Danielson, Joe, The Acclaimed, FTR, Sammy Guevara, Athena, Wardlow, Swerve, Eddie Kingston, Darby, Moxley, Blade, Bandido, Jamie Hayter, Sasha Banks

Commentary: Excalibur and Taz

Dynamite

Bucks, Omega, Death Triangle, House of Black, Hangman, Adam Cole, The Kingdom, Maria, Brit Baker, Shida, MJF, Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, Dante Martin

Commentary: Excalibur and Chris Jericho

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I'm assuming this is a clear separation of ROH as well. Dynamite is the Elite Brand, Punk gets Rampage.

When it comes to title belts, there'd be no brand exclusive title except for the respective Network titles. Jade Cargill is on Dynamite, and Samoa Joe would be on Rampage.

Dynamite Commentary: Excalibur, Taz, Paul Wight / Refs: Rick Knox, Paul Turner, Aubrey Edwards

Rampage Commentary: Tony Schiavone, Mark Henry, Rotating Third Seat / Refs: Bryce Remsburg, Mike Posey

For the actual splitting of the rosters, besides The Elite on Dynamite, I'd also have Jon Moxley separate himself from the rest of BCC and Punk by remaining on Dynamite.  I'd send Chuck Taylor over on a solo run as well. Groupwise I'd keep Death Triangle on Dynamite, I'd also elevate The Trustbusters for more TV time on a split roster Dynamite. The JAS would be scattered to the wind. Sammy and Tay would stay, Garcia would too. 2.0, Jericho and Hager though would be sent over to Rampage. Rampage would also be the home of Yuta and Danielson. I'd keep House of Black on Rampage along with Andrade when he returns from injury. Kyle O'Reilly would also be a when returning from injury roster spot. To build the lower card, I'd ship The Factory over to Dynamite. Graduating from Dark duty would be Sonny Kiss, The Iron Savages and Serpentico.

It's a bit harder to split the women's side but it'd be more of the Southern Heel Classic Americana Wrestling all-stars while Rampage would be a bit more eye popping

• Thanks 1

I would, absolutely, stop watching if AEW split into WWE-esque "brands."

Possibly, I would go back to only watching live shows (in Osaka), Secret Santo matches (matches I am given and matches I'm considering giving to others), and WK and select G1 shows on streaming services. Which is where I think I was before AEW started up. Maybe I wasn't doing Secret Santo then? But I still would have been watching semi-random weird matches on YouTube that were recommended by friends or that showed up in my feed. Which is pretty similar to Secret Santo, minus the mandatory write-ups.

That would free up a lot of time every week, so once I got over the shattering disappointment over AEW turning into WWE I think I'd be able to spin it as being for the best.

Edit: I will also stop watching if they do an AEW vs ROH PPV where wrestlers on either "brand" put aside their differences, don color-coordinated t-shirts, and battle to determine "brand supremacy."

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Possibly, I would go back to only watching live shows (in Osaka), Secret Santo matches (matches I am given and matches I'm considering giving to others), and WK and select G1 shows on streaming services. Which is where I think I was before AEW started up. Maybe I wasn't doing Secret Santo then? But I still would have been watching semi-random weird matches on YouTube that were recommended by friends or that showed up in my feed. Which is pretty similar to Secret Santo, minus the mandatory write-ups.

That would free up a lot of time every week, so once I got over the shattering disappointment over AEW turning into WWE I think I'd be able to spin it as being for the best.

Not only will there be brands, but authority figures. 

Shad Khan - “The name on the contract does say Khan...however the contract reads SHAD Khan!!!!

• Haha 6

Since I missed watching the whole show before the Rampage thread closed, I’ll add my thoughts here.

Mox-Soup was another great match and I’m so looking forward to when Takeshita finally gets that big win. Mox blading from a big boot was pretty funny though.

Bunny-Shida was a fun match, Allie is a really great character in ring and a pretty good wrestler so she added a lot of entertainment to what was a foregone conclusion. Meteora from ring apron to floor was a great spot, and that might have been the best I’ve seen Shida’s finisher look.

Tyga and Big Bill squash was a very good squash, probably something that should’ve been on YouTube but gave the crowd a break before the main. Big Bill was really good reacting and hyping from the ring apron, and they have some promising starts to some fun double-teams.

Main was probably the least of the recent amazing OC run. The opening comedy section was fun, and Trent chopping the ring post sounded like it was solid contact. The middle section got a little janky at times, didn’t always flow smoothly. Ford going to get BBB made a lot of sense and I’m down for a Best Friends-Butcher and Blade match. The little story at the end with T7 blocking the first DDT attempt was a good transition to the finish section of a match whose outcome was never in doubt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

Excellent post idea/thought exercise/food for debate, sir. For the record, I am 1000% with @Gordlow on this - the whole 'roster' split idea sucks, and I have always thought it was the worst idea. Why would you ever, as a booker, want to limit the matches and combinations you can book BY DESIGN? I get the idea of having a separate developmental show like an NXT or late-era Jimmy Hart-led WCWSN, or the old A - B - C tours like the WWF did in the '80s, that's completely fine with me. One could almost argue that AEW had a 'soft' brand split in place for much of the early months of Rampage, which was pretty well done - Hook could wrestle once in a while on Wednesdays without an issue, and there weren't 3 world titles. That being said...  DRAFTING a split? Maybe my favorite thing to do on the planet. I got way into that 2K game during the pandemic (hence why I broke this down by title division, out of habit). I also didn't list either trios title - way too much overlap w the tag divisions, and it caused a lot of duplicates, so I just skipped them. I included hurt/suspended individuals as well, because if this whole discussion is predicated on the Punk hypothetical, then clearly anything is possible (like a content Andrade, or a healthy Jeff Hardy).

WEDNESDAY NIGHT DYNAMITE ROSTER

AEW World Championship

1. MJF

2. Malakai Black

3. Ricky Starks

4. Jungle Boy

5. Sammy Guevara

6. Darby Allin

7. PAC

8. Hangman Page

9. Jon Moxley

10. Adam Cole

11. Bryan Danielson

FTW Championship

1. Hook

2. Swerve Strickland

3. Bandido

4. Kip Sabian

5. AR Fox

6. Angelico

7. Ortiz 

8. Fuego Del Sol

9. Juice Robinson

10. Matt Hardy

11. Colt Cabana

AEW World Tag Team Championship (Shared)

1. The Acclaimed

2. FTR

3. Gates of Agony

4. House of Black

5. The Butcher and The Blade

6. Private Party

7. Bear Country

8. Silver/Reynolds

TBS Championship 

1. Jade Cargill

2. Kris Statlander

3. Willow Nightingale

4. Athena

5. Nyla Rose

6. Riho

7. Ruby Soho

8. Tay Melo

9. Anna Jay

10. Yuka Sakazaki

Managers, Part-Timers, Legends, etc.

1. Sting

2. Billy Gunn

FRIDAY NIGHT RAMPAGE ROSTER

AEW All-Atlantic Championship

1. Orange Cassidy

2. Kenny Omega

3. Claudio Castagnoli

4. Eddie Kingston 

5. Chris Jericho

6. Jay Lethal

7. Shawn Spears

8. Matt Sydal

9. Rush

10. Ethan Page

11. Daniel Garcia

12. Wheeler Yuta

13. Konosuke Takeshita

TNT Championship

1. Samoa Joe

2. Powerhouse Hobbs

3. Keith Lee

4. Nick Commoroto

5. Brian Cage

6. Wardlow

7. Miro

8. Bill Morrissey

9. Luchasaurus

10. Lance Archer

11. Parker Bordreaux

12. Evil Uno

13. Jake Hager

AEW World Tag Team Championship (Shared)

1. The Young Bucks

2. 2.0

3. Lucha Bros.

4. Best Friends

5. Gunn Club

6. SCU

7. Top Flight

AEW Women's World Championship

1. Britt Baker

2. The Bunny

3. Emi Sakura

4. Hikaru Shida

5. Jamie Hayter

6. Penelope Ford

7. Saraya

8. Serena Deeb

9. Toni Storm

10. Mercedes Martinez

11. Layla Hirsch

1. Christian Cage

2. Dustin Rhodes

3. Rebel Not Reba

4. Brandon Cutler

5. Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

6. Jose The Assistant

RING OF HONOR/DARK/ELEVATION ROSTER:

ROH World Championship

1. CM Punk

2. Andrade

3. Jeff Hardy

4. Kyle O'Reilly 

5. Shawn Spears

6. Kip Sabian

7. Anthony Ogogo

8. Satnam Singh 

9. Danhausen

10. Brian Pillman, Jr

11. Dalton Castle

ROH Pure Championship

1. Preston Vance

2. Sean Dean

3. Cole Karter

4. Zack Clayton

5. Aaron Solo

6. Ryan Nemeth

7. QT Marshall

8. Griff Garrison

9. Ariya Daivari

10. Lee Moriarty

ROH World Tag Team Championship 

1. The Briscoes

2. Anderson/Johnson

3. The Kingdom

4. Workhorsemen

5. Luther/Serpentico

6. Bononi/Avalon

7. Kiss/Slim J

8. Varsity Athletes

9. The Boys

ROH Women's Championship

1. Julia Hart

2. Kiera Hogan

3. Leila Gray

4. The Librarian

5. Madison Rain

6. Maria Kannellis

7. Marina Shafir

8. Red Velvet

9. Skye Blue 

10. Paige Van Zant

11. Thunder Rosa

12. Abadon

1. Christopher Daniels

2. Jeff Jarrett

3. Arn Anderson

4. Prince Nana

5. Sonjay Dutt

• Thanks 1

Ok, so the AEW World Title goes to Rampage and the newly crowned AEW Universal Title goes to Dynamite. The goal will be to have an Elite show and a Punk show, but keeping the roster diverse in styles so each show can have the desired buffet feel. Also, enough of a gimmicked difference so they feel special. The Tag Titles will go to Rampage and the Trio Titles will go to Dynamite. Dynamite can have the wild fast paced three man teams and the classic tag team action can be a staple of Rampage. Every year, the Dynamite after All Out will hold a Uh Oh Lottery that’ll claim to shake things up, but not too drastically. Excalibur will be the only constant, but he will be joined by Tony Schiavone and Taz on Dynamite and a four man booth with JR, Big Show, and Mark Henry. Aubrey, Bryce, and Knox will ref Dynamite, Turner and TBD will be on Rampage. Rampage gets the TNT and TBS Titles and Dynamite gets the All-Atlantic and the FTW titles. The Women’s Champion (Jamie Hayter) is the only belt that goes on both shows. A new secondary women’s title, The All-Pacific Championship, will be added to Dynamite. ROH will be taped before Rampage and Dark will be taped before Dynamite. Assuming the travel is handleable, someone could be on Dynamite and ROH, ROH is pretty much separate but recognized world.

DYNAMITE:

Jon Moxley

Chris Jericho and the JAS

The Elite (Omega and the Young Bucks)

Hangman Adam Page and the Dark Order

Eddie Kingston 

Darby Allin

Sting

The Death Triangle

The House of Black

Thunder Rosa

Keith Lee

Swerve Strickland 

Jungle Boy

Hikaru Shida

Best Friends

Kris Stratlander

Ortiz

Ruby Soho

Nyla Rose

Tay and Jay 

Hook

Will Hobbs

The Factory

Riho

Layla Hirsch (when healthy)

RAMPAGE:

CM Punk

Bryan Danielson

MJF

Miro

Jade Cargill and the Baddies

Brit Baker

Adam Cole (when healthy)

Wardlow

FTR

Ricky Starks

The Acclaimed

Toni Storm 

Claudio Castagnoli 

Samoa Joe

Athena

Mercedes Martinez

Wheeler Yuta

The Firm

Serena Deeb

Willow Nightingale 

The Butcher and the Blade and the Bunny

Bear Country

Private Party

The Hardyz 

Rush (and Andrade if he is still here)

Luchasaurus and Christian Cage 

This is just a rough and for fun idea. Dynamite has a fairly balanced roster of different styles. Rampage has less speed workers at the top, but that will allow a group like Private Party and other young undercard acts to shine.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm not a fan of a brand split at this point, but I'd absolutely keep watching the product and would in no way leave due to one. That's how much I enjoy the company.

Agreed. This is more a fun thought experiment then an actual wish.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Hopefully he can alleviate some of the timing issues.

As for a brand split the only one is I hope ROH/AEW is a hard and fast split with minimal and rare brand jumping

How is that going to work with Samoa Joe, Claudio Castagnoli, and Wheeler Yuta?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

How is that going to work with Samoa Joe, Claudio Castagnoli, and Wheeler Yuta?

That's kind of the struggle I had when I was doing my draft last night. The only way I could figure out to do it in a way that wasn't just 'Dark: Now With Belts!' was combine the 'ROH Roster' (aka The Briscoes) with Dark/Elevation, and send Andrade, Punk, and Jeff Hardy there to learn how to act

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Edit: I will also stop watching if they do an AEW vs ROH PPV where wrestlers on either "brand" put aside their differences, don color-coordinated t-shirts, and battle to determine "brand supremacy."

You mean you don’t want to see Rampage have “Brand Supremacy” over Dynamite?! You wouldn’t like it if the shows were color coded? 

While I applaud the discussion this idea has created I am with the people that would hate this. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

While I applaud the discussion this idea has created I am with the people that would hate this. 

Take away all the dumb shit we've all listed about it for a moment - the internal idea at the time was for WWE to 'be its own competition' because the other two major promotions were gone. So even on the basis of the original logic, it's an antiquated idea.

I cannot imagine that a single soul here could get into 'MY GOD, THAT'S RAMPAGE SUPERSTAR CHRIS JERICHO! WHAT'S HE DOING HERE ON DYNAMITE?' from the same company that's already openly featured talent from NJPW, Impact, NWA, etc. and brought us Forbidden Door. 

Some great conversations here, and I had a super fun couple hours last night drafting my rosters... but, no. Hard no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Did I get in the "Fantasy Booking AEW" Thread by accident? How would have you guys booked, I don't know, something original.. Think.... The Invasion 2001?

My bad. I love drafting and never get to do it outside of fantasy at the start of football season! It was the color coding that put it over the line, wasn't it...

• Haha 1