DVDVR Message Board

POLL 12/3-12/9/2022- WHAT WAS THE BEST MATCH ON FREE TV? HOLY SHIT!

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Jon Moxley vs Konosuke Takeshita- RAMPAGE
    • Ludwig Kaiser/ GUNTHER/ Giovanni Vinci vs Xavier Woods/ Kofi Kingston/ Ricochet- SMACKDOWN
    • Hikaru Shida vs The Bunny- RAMPAGE
    • Jey Uso/ Jimmy Uso vs Sheamus/ Butch- SMACKDOWN
    • Orange Cassidy vs Trent Seven- RAMPAGE
    • Kosei Fujita/ Oskar Leube vs Mikey Nicholls/ Shane Haste- New Japan World
    • Oskar Leube/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Kosei Fujita/ Yuto Nakashima- New Japan World
    • SAKI/ Waka Tsukiyama vs AZM/ Miyu Amasaki- STARDOM
    • Josh Alexander vs Speedball Mike Bailey- IMPACT!
    • Savanna Stone vs Bryn Thorn- CWFH
    • Kevin Martenson vs Zicky Dice- CWFH
    • Tormenta/ Wrecking Ball vs Princess Aussie/ Leia Makoa- WOW
    • Hagane Shinno vs Nick Comoroto- AEW Elevation
    • Myron Reed vs Shun Skywalker- MLW
    • Emi Sakura vs Madison Rayne- AEW Elevation
    • Alex Reynolds vs Kip Sabian- AEW Elevation
    • Konosuke Takeshita vs Aaron Solo- AEW Elevation
    • AJ Styles/ Luke Gallows/ Karl Anderson vs Otis/ Chad Gable/ Baron Corbin- RAW
    • Asuka vs Rhea Ripley vs Bayley- RAW
    • Jey Uso/ Jimmy Uso vs Matt Riddle/ Kevin Owens- RAW
    • Becky Lynch vs Alexa Bliss vs Nikki Cross- RAW
    • Asterboy/ Noisy Boy/ Spider Fly vs Dick Angelo 3G/ Legendario/ Rocky Casas- IWRG
    • Hell Boy vs Hijo del Pirata Morgan- IWRG
    • Trent Barretta vs Anthony Henry- AEW Dark
    • Dax Harwood/ Cash Wheeler vs Great-O-Khan/ Jeff Cobb- New Japan on AXS
    • Wendi Choo vs Fallon Henley vs Indi Hartwell- NXT
    • Malik Blade/ Edris Enofe vs Josh Briggs/ Brooks Jensen- NXT
    • Hank Walker vs Charlie Dempsey- NXT
    • Axiom vs Andre Chase vs Von Wagner- NXT
    • Oskar Leube/ Kosei Fujita vs Yuto Nakashima/ Ryohei Oiwa- New Japan World
    • Jade Cargill/ Leila Grey/ Red Velvet vs Madison Rayne/ Skye Blue/ Kiera Hogan- DYNAMITE
    • Hombre Bala Jr/ Oro Jr vs Disturbio/ Zandokan Jr- CMLL
    • Gran Guerrero/ Titan/ Ultimo Guerrero vs Atlantis Jr/ Dragon Rojo Jr/ Mistico- CMLL
    • Emperador Azteca vs Toxin vs Puma King- AAA
    • Dax Harwood/ Cash Wheeler vs Anthony Bowen/ Max Caster- DYNAMITE
    • Samoa Joe vs Darby Allin- DYNAMITE
    • Dynamite Diamond Ring Battle Royal- DYNAMITE
    • Queen Aminata vs Ashley Vox- Women's Wrestling Army
    • Oskar Leube/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Great-O-Khan/ Aaron Henare- New Japan World
    • Claudio Castagnoli/ Wheeler Yuta vs Jake Hagar/ Daniel Garcia- DYNAMITE

Jesus Christ!  This week is going to be FIERCE!  FTR vs the Acclaimed seems like it was weeks ago.  I was determined to vote for the EPIC CLASSIC PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING MATCH between Josh Alexander and Mike Bailey, but then fucking Konosuke Takeshita vs Jon Moxley made me question it for a minute.  Alexander/Bailey was a great 1990's All Japan match.  Takeshita/MOX was a great 1990's New Japan match.  I'm still going with Alexander/Bailey but MAN! what a great batch of matches.  Your best WWE match was probably the Good Brothers/ AJ Styles vs Baron Corbin and the Alpha Academy.  There were a LOT of Triple Threat matches.  The best fringe match was Myron Reed vs Shun Skywalker, which just edges out Kevin Martenson vs Zicky Dice.  The Japanese match of the week is either the Stardom AZM match or the FTR/United Empire- but that was the second best FTR match in two days.  The Lucha match of the week was probably Hell Boy vs Hijo del Pirata Morgan as Hell Boy continues to come into his own.  Man, what a week!

CUT LIST: El Desperado/ Lance Archer/ Minoru Suzuki vs Bad Luck Fale/ Gedo/ Taiji Ishimori- New Japan World;  The Voros Twins vs Reno Scum- CWFH; Top Flight vs Truth Magnum/ Turbo Floyd- AEW Elevation;  Trey Miguel vs Jason Hotch- IMPACT! BTI; Trish Adora vs Laynie Luck- Women's Wrestling Army;  Damage/ Rush Freeman vs. Judais/ PJ Hawx- NWA PoweRRR;  Leon Ruffin vs Brian Cage- AEW Dark

• Like 3

Never thought I'd see the day where Gordlow & DEAN both vote for an Impact match over stuff like Mox vs Takeshita (and everything else), but Speedball and Alexander really earned it this week. If enough people see that match... Would this be the first time Impact wins DVDVR MOTW?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Never thought I'd see the day where Gordlow & DEAN both vote for an Impact match over stuff like Mox vs Takeshita (and everything else), but Speedball and Alexander really earned it this week. If enough people see that match... Would this be the first time Impact wins DVDVR MOTW?

I THINK Masha Slamovich vs Allie Katch won their week.  I'm not positive.  Konosuke Takeshita/MOX is definitely winning this week, I'm thinking.

EDIT:  I was.... wrong.  That was Jericho/Bandido week and that crushed all the competition.  So.  IMPACT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought Usos vs. Sheamus/Butch was easily the best WWE match this week and legit great. It displaced the FTR/Acclaimed tag for me. Still need to catch Mox/Takeshita & Alexander/Bailey. If those are legit great as well I may not bother with much else as four great free matches in one week is enough to choose from.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Yeah, I am voting Speedball vs. Josh Alexander.  Takesoup vs. Mox really made me think about it for a sec, but Bailey / Alexander is as close as we'll get to the days of WCW Saturday Night on TBS where a PPV level main event like Sting vs. Arn Anderson for the TV Title or something would take up the entire final hour on free television, no less..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I voted for Konosuke Takeshita vs Jon Moxley. Mostly because after Takeshita did that sick looking Frankensteiner followed up by the old Samoa Joe running boot to a seated Jon Moxley outside I yelled "SAMOE JOE!" at my TV in a Scott Steiner voice. No other wrestling match was good enough this week to make me do an involuntary Scott Steiner impression.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, porksweats said:

I decided to vote for the FTR/Acclaimed match because it's the best tag match of the week. The rest of you can decide the best singles (too hard to pick, coin flips wouldn't do justice)

Admittedly I didn’t see the Impact match but at the end of the day I also picked FTR/Acclaimed because it was a huge match that played out like a huge match and really showed how far Acclaimed have come this year. I loved Mox-Soup too but FTR-Acclaimed was like a PPV main event level match on my TV for free.

• Like 3

FTR vs. O'Khan/Cobb was good stuff but still the lesser FTR match for this week.

Mox/Takeshita was even better than the first time around with the audience actively rooting against Mox by the end because they believed in Takeshita that much.

Alexander/Bailey though outclassed everything. Took a bit to draw me in, but when it did it was hard to look away even watching as tired as I was. Loved the arm work by Bailey and how the damaged played into the rest of the match with it being a constant weak point to strike or haunt alexander when trying to hit anything big. Loved the late stages of the match with Alexander finally going all out on Bailey's leg and it having similar damaging effects like like Alexander's arm throughout. The finish was great as well with Alexander making sure Bailey was dead. He did not want to risk anything with so little time left. Honestly the weakest aspect of this match was probably the commentary constantly talking about it being an instant classic. That was a bit too much.

As per usual I did not go with the actual best match because I still want another good-great match in Usos vs. Sheamus/Butch to get some love and attention. I will say where a match like that is easy top 100-50 for 2022, Alexander/Bailey is an easy top 5. The classic match talk on commentary may have annoyed me, but it was not wrong. That is a match all big wrestling fans should make time for.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

FTR vs. O'Khan/Cobb was good stuff but still the lesser FTR match for this week.

Mox/Takeshita was even better than the first time around with the audience actively rooting against Mox by the end because they believed in Takeshita that much.

Alexander/Bailey though outclassed everything. Took a bit to draw me in, but when it did it was hard to look away even watching as tired as I was. Loved the arm work by Bailey and how the damaged played into the rest of the match with it being a constant weak point to strike or haunt alexander when trying to hit anything big. Loved the late stages of the match with Alexander finally going all out on Bailey's leg and it having similar damaging effects like like Alexander's arm throughout. The finish was great as well with Alexander making sure Bailey was dead. He did not want to risk anything with so little time left. Honestly the weakest aspect of this match was probably the commentary constantly talking about it being an instant classic. That was a bit too much.

As per usual I did not go with the actual best match because I still want another good-great match in Usos vs. Sheamus/Butch to get some love and attention. I will say where a match like that is easy top 100-50 for 2022, Alexander/Bailey is an easy top 5. The classic match talk on commentary may have annoyed me, but it was not wrong. That is a match all big wrestling fans should make time for.

YES!  I didn't know what you would think of it but it had such a 90s Puroresu vibe that I figured you would dig it.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:35 AM, The Natural said:

I'll watch this when I have the time.

Not only was the match a classic, I heard the guy running the hard cam for that taping is really good-looking and has the coolest opinions on pro wrestling.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

• DEAN unpinned this topic

OUR winner IS... Josh Alexander vs Speedball Mike Bailey- IMPACT!!

Second place is Konosuke Takeshita vs Jon Moxley- RAMPAGE, followed closely by Darby Allin vs Samoa Joe- DYNAMITE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1