DVDVR Message Board

ROH FINAL BATTLE- 12/10/2022!

DEAN

Wheeler Yuta is a sympathetic babyface and Daniel Garcia is CHEATING!  I love that Yuta uses up his rope breaks early.  Garcia is so VOLK HAN/BUDDY ROSE, in that he is technically superior but also a great heel.  Great Brainbuster VARIATION by Yuta!  GREAT Lawler Brainbuster by Garcia.  I loved the Dragonslayer in the ropes!  I loved the finish!  That was manly.  The crowd wasn't really into it, but they kinda got into it by the finish.  That was good.  They show the FTR/Briscoes thing.  Since they actually drew over 3000, it appears that they sold 1500 tickets between Wednesday and Saturday.  And I imagine thousands more cashed in whatever good will they had established with their significant other to get permission to order the PPV.  I know that my wife said this was my Christmas gift, so I was ecstatic that I married so well.  Awesome!  Mark Briscoe is ALREADY bleeding.  He is the early ALL STAR of the match as he takes the first lunatic bump off the ramp onto Wheeler.  Jay Briscoe is fucking AWESOME punching Harwood in the face with the chain wrapped around his fist.  AAAAaaand Harwood is bleeding!  AAAAnd Jay is REALLY bleeding!  Mark is also REALLY bleeding.  Mark is REALLY REALLY BLEEDING!  THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.  Cash Wheeler is now bleeding but FTR isn't LEANING INTO the blade like the Briscoes are.  Jay is the overall ALL STAR of the matcxh so far.  CAsh and Harwood are now equalling the blood of the Briscoes!  THE REF BLADES!  YESSSS!  MArk BUMPS GIGANTIC from the top turnbuckle to the stack of chairs on the floor!  JESUS!  JAY HITS A JUMPING C-4 ON HARWOOD!  This match is fucking INSANE.  Harwood with the LAWLER PILEDRIVER ON A CHAIR!  Cash Wheeler yelling to Dax Harwood, "FUCKING MURDER HIM!" is the greatest thing in the history of wrestling.  SUPERPLEX ONTO THE PILE OF CHAIRS!  Jesus Christ, this match is fucking LUNACY.  JAY MAKES DAX TAP!  That was fucking great.  That was the best match in the history of FMW.  Jesus.

EDIT:  POSTMATCH, THE ASS BOYS PICK THE BONES OF FTR!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Octopus said:

fitting 8 match run for the Ocho.

It really was great, man. Fantastic, resurgent 2022 for Jericho, and a wonderful match to cap the year off (though, I do feel badly they had to follow Briscoes/FTR). One thing I'll say, though, is that timing wise and flow wise, it was a very good main, with a really, really cool finish - Jericho probably learned from his experience with HHH at WMX8 that starting the match hot, and keeping it short and sweet was the move, and he and Claudio both delivered here IMO. 

• Like 6

All right then. Having had a nap, finished the choring, and played with my daughters for a few hours, it is now time to go through that amazing, worth - getting - up - early - for PPV more thoroughly. It will help fix it in my mind, if nothing else.

I was delighted by Cobb vs Dorada. Although it was in fact the second-most-delightful match I watched today where Cobb ragdolled a smaller-sized insane bumping machine (thanks to porksweats). I love how Cobb is a) freakishly strong and b) totally fine with,and really good at, letting the other guy shine in there. He's absolutely one of my favourite current wrestlers. So I am glad I didn't turn my alarm off.

I had miso soup with pork and vegetables, smoked chicken breasts, potato salad, and two of the reduced-calorie Japanese energy drinks called Jungle Man that I can buy from the vending machine around the corner. They have become my go-to morning-or-afternoon wrestle-watching beverage. That, or green tea.

I almost always do a conbini run the night before PPVs or big Dynamites. The convenience stores over here are THE BEST.

I chatted online throughout the show with my old friend who used to post here as TheCobra2, who now lives in Tokyo and also woke up before 5 am. Also his friend (now also my internet friend) who does jiu jitsu and was able to join us because open mat was cancelled today. 

Cheeseburger! Seeing him always makes me feel like it's Wrestle Kingdom.

2.0 worked straight southern tag heel style, except I think they didn't do the spot where the ref misses the first hot tag, driving the fans crazy. That spot used to work like a charm.

Speaking of crowds, oh boy do I love how organically over with the crowd Pure Babyface Willow Nightingale has become! What a joy! And I definitely remember Trish Adora from Dark and Elevation, fighting ladies like Emi Sakura. She eventually gets murdered with a pounce and a Doctor bomb. Willow vs Athena, eventually, will be molten.

Both of my chat buddies thought that Top Flight going over counted as an upset. Not I. I expected the AEW homegrowns to win, and was delighted they did. The result also led to me winning the picks contest.

Great preshow! Every match in a different style. Strength vs speed, southern tag, hard-hitting, pure speed and athleticism.

I think this is the first time I have seen Dralistico working as Dralistico. I like that there were at least three teams of actual brothers on the show today! Also, I was delighted that there was a theme of "dudes catching other dudes" and marked out EVERY TIME it happened. Speaking of marking out: SPECTACULAR FINISH to Top Flight vs Kingdom! REPORTEDLY CONTROVERSIAL FINISH to the Roosh Brothers vs FoxHeart. Which I missed. Due to streaming issues. (As in, I had to go pee).

A.R. Fox is, in my opinion, a very good addition to the AEW roster.

Preston Vance cleans up real good. 

Good Heavens Athena is a GREAT heel. That was nasty. Hell of a fight.

I like how they held off on the Lee vs Taylor BMMSM portion of the match. Reminiscent of the Kingston/Akiyama dynamic in their tag match. Interesting story, and some insane strength spots. Hopefully Taylor shows up on AEW TV again!

Keith Lee vs Jeff Cobb, please!!

So: Cages have gates. But so do Castles. Some castles have cages. Not all castles or cages have boys, but some do. And if boys are in a cage in a castle, it's likely that agony is involved. 

I loved that  match, by the way. Cage, Liona, & Kaun are such great big walls for all the little speedy trios teams to throw themselves against. Long may they reign! I am stoked that Toa Liona is a champion. I have been a fan since he first showed up on YouTube.

At this point I was physically pretty sleepy though my enthusiasm was by no means  waning. 

I don't wanna be controversial but in my opinion both Wheeler and Garcia are very good at pro wrestling and also they match up well. Maybe it was the sleepiness plus the energy drinks but Daddy Magic's nipple talk gave me the giggles. 2.0 are really entertaining,he said, bringing on the controversy yet again. I thought they made excellent use of the Pure stipulations.

I was kinda shocked that Double Dog Collars wasn't the main event, and I felt kinda bad for Juice and Joe and Jericho and CaesaROH that they had to follow that. 

It was great. Every match that FTR and Briscoes have fought has been straight-up great. Hats off. And thank you. 

All time crimson mask, all time sick bump, feud of the year.

As Ian said, a violent masterpiece.

I felt bad for Juicy Boy, but I guess Toni Storm can comfort him. Heel Joe is great. This was the second-best Heel Joe match this week, which isn't actually faint praise.

My favourite juice is probably pineapple. Or sparkling barley juice.

Also: Good job on quickly laying a new ring canvas after the blood bath, AEW ring crew!

Oh! The crowd! Bless them for being able to keep it up after that tag title match!

I liked Jericho's jacket. I loved the various OCHO! chants. We got an all-time cool reversal in the world title match as well! Jericho continues to make his case as an all time great pro wrestler. And Claudio is going to be a geat champ.

I love professional wrestling.

giphy.gif

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Just finished watching #FTR vs. The Briscoes go 3/3 in MOTYC and ***** matches. What a trilogy. Ranking them sleep deprived, I'd go right now:

3. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Death Before Dishonour, 23rd July 2022.

2. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Final Battle, 10th December 2022.

1. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Supercard of Honour XV, 1st April 2022.

You?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

A million stars for that write up DEAN! Uncle Dave should just do a cut and paste into this weeks issue.

Posey tapping a gusher so as not to be left out of the fun was the capper. That was Sheepherders v Fantastics levels of carnage, better than any ‘death’ match since Takashi Sasaki was BJW champ and the best field goal since Harry Kane took an 88th minute penalty. In summary, fuck and yeah 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I had miso soup with pork and vegetables, smoked chicken breasts, potato salad, and two of the reduced-calorie Japanese energy drinks called Jungle Man that I can buy from the vending machine around the corner and have become my go-to morning-or-afternoon wrestle-watching beverage. That, or green tea.

I almost always do a conbini run the night before PPVs or big Dynamites. The convenience stores over here are THE BEST.

You can literally make your whole day in one trip to a 7/11 or Lawson. If you hit up one of those drunk I’d imagine you would leave with a whole weeks worth of groceries. They are indeed, THE BEST!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I only cared about Athena/Martinez and FTR/Briscoes, so I watched those.

Kind of felt bad for Mercedes Martinez, since she got deafening crickets on her entrance. However, she's barely been on TV (if at all) in months, and this was Athena's "hometown"/home state. Even though she's a heel, the dead giveaway of the finish was revealed when her parents were in the crowd. I did like Mercedes taunting them when she did the draping DDT thing on the guardrail. It was pretty stiff, but it wasn't quite the Jody Threat on Dark levels or anything. Ultimately I liked it, though. Willow versus Athena for the title (SOON) will be amazing. Honestly, just purely booking for myself, give me Adora vs Willow vs Martinez vs Athena just one time. I like everyone involved, a lot.

Briscoes/FTR was gnarly and stiff at times and felt very old school in its violence. I don't know the Briscoes, but the one that isn't bald looked like he potato'd Dax right in the face with a chain assisted punch (when they were setting up the superplex into the chairs spot). First time in a while that I can remember a table being set up, and not ever being used, not even in the post-match shenanigans. Thought for sure Cash would throw the bald Briscoe through the table or something, but he did it onto the pile of chairs. Lots of spots involving a pile of chairs, actually. This was really fun though, I might go and watch their first two matches this week. Oh yeah, and I really dug Dax doing the piledriver and then pinning the hair having Briscoe with his legs on his shoulders. Really sold the exhaustion, I dig it. 

I saw Jericho tapped to the Giant Swing, that's pretty cool and different. Happy for Claudio, and Jericho being in the ROH history books now, but I really hope the JAS/BCC stuff is over. Let's move on, please.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Just finished watching #FTR vs. The Briscoes go 3/3 in MOTYC and ***** matches. What a trilogy. Ranking them sleep deprived, I'd go right now:

3. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Death Before Dishonour, 23rd July 2022.

2. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Final Battle, 10th December 2022.

1. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Supercard of Honour XV, 1st April 2022.

You?

Oh, I would probably go 

3. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Supercard of Honour XV, 1st April 2022.

2. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Death Before Dishonour, 23rd July 2022.

1. #FTR vs. Briscoes. ROH Final Battle, 10th December 2022.

because I am all about blood and recency bias,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The finish to the FTR/Briscoes match was so awesome and fucking MANLY was because it incorporated the chain with a Bulldog Choke- it was truly the Terry Funk idea of one extra element to overcome the Bret Hart straight wrestling element.   Dax could escape a straight wrestling hold.  He couldn't escape the deathmatch hold.  SO FUCKING GREAT.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Speaking of marking out: SPECTACULAR FINISH to Top Flight vs Kingdom! REPORTEDLY CONTROVERSIAL FINISH to the Roosh Brothers vs FoxHeart. Which I missed. Due to streaming issues. (As in, I had to go pee).

A true classic!

3 hours ago, matwarz said:

A million stars for that write up DEAN! Uncle Dave should just do a cut and paste into this weeks issue.

Well said, the Dean review is the perfect antidote to the burial hot take/witty takedown/loud voicing so exceedingly popular on the Super Highway '22. Dean's reviews feel free of the self-absorbed 'I think this should be happening' while indulging the actual decisions, good and bad, with an open mind and freedom to just fucking Enjoy! There's a lot one can learn about navigating thru the glut of modern pro wrestling on offer within these jam-packed and fucking awesome paragraphs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Should I blade to make this post?  Why not?  All the kids are doing it these days.

That is an absolutely perfect trilogy of tag matches.  Applause, kudos, credits, and cartwheels in celebration FTR vs. The Briscoes.  Worth every penny spent in both PPV and a pair of tickets to Lowell.  

I’m as guilty as anybody being entirely biased against Taven.  He was the turd in the punch bowl at that MSG show and I’ve never gotten over it.  He was pretty good here.  Him following the code of honor at the end of the match also somehow managed to endear him to me.  This must be a good strain.

Nothing wrong with the content of Joe/Juice.  Sucks it had to follow the above. Meanwhile, Juice is going to have some problems creating buzz if his hope is to get somewhere in transferring back to the States.  7 years in New Japan is a long time.  

Jericho was looking awfully Moongoose with that Ozzy tassels jacket.  Kind of an original spot with Jericho chasing the ringside crew around.  It’s all in the details.  

Say what you will about Hogan/Warrior matches.  But that double clothesline spot was so well worked it’s emulated to this day and it’s great.

The Swing reversal into the Walls was super.  To think Jericho has been pulling that many tricks to catch that move for this long is something else.  Then he quits to the fucking move?  Never saw that coming.

I’m certain there will be some debate over if it is appropriate for MJF dissing the NWA or CHAP shitting on the current status of ROH.  But I’m going temporarily allow it as circumstances for either brand aren’t going to be worsened just because of these mentions.  Later on I might change my mind.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Will americans ever learn how to count a Giant Swing properly? They counted 3 numbers within one rotation multiple times... 

we’re not good with the metric system. Those were Euro swings…

• Haha 7