DVDVR Message Board

ROH FINAL BATTLE- 12/10/2022!

DEAN

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

This is the third ROH PPV I've ordered and ALL of them were ordered because of FTR being on them.  FTR moves the needle so put them on last.

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I figure FTR vs. Briscoes has to go last since in that Briscoes promo that talked about going buck wild in this type of matches & the ringside should look like a warzone if this match is anything like old ROH/FIP Briscoes hardcore matches. 

This.

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

When you're tired, wanting to sleep but you've got things going on all the same date today:

• Tea at either Pizza Pieces or German Doner Kebab before...
  • Batman Returns (1992) at The Light Cinema. One of the only Batman films I've never seen on the big screen. Get the chance as it's the 30th Anniversary. I was able to see Batman (1989) the same way. 5:00pm start but it won't till 5:15pm, I reckon.
  • England vs. France in the 2022 FIFA World Cup Quarter-Final. 7pm kickoff. I'll miss the start so I'll either find a pub or watch it at home.
  • ROH Final Battle 2022. A rarity, a USA wrestling show starting at a great time over here, 9pm. Couldn't believe it. To me it's a one match show, #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers III in a double dog collar match. Gave both matches *****.

Is it like 9 PM over there, because that's a fantastic time. 11 PM over here is not terrible, either. Oh, it already said just that, but yeah perfect time!

Edited by Shartnado
Oh, it's there already...
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Natural said:

When you're tired, wanting to sleep but you've got things going on all the same date today:

• Batman Returns (1992) at The Light Cinema. One of the only Batman films I've never seen on the big screen. Get the chance as it's the 30th Anniversary. I was able to see Batman (1989) the same way. 5:00pm start but it won't till 5:15pm, I reckon.
  • England vs. France in the 2022 FIFA World Cup Quarter-Final. 7pm kickoff. I'll miss the start so I'll either find a pub or watch it at home.
  • ROH Final Battle 2022. A rarity, a USA wrestling show starting at a great time over here, 9pm. Couldn't believe it. To me it's a one match show, #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers III in a double dog collar match. Gave both matches *****.

Well, that's a full day!

• Like 1

If Warner Bros. Discovery hates The Briscoes so much they can't even appear on AEW programming...why is Tony Khan booking them in a big title program and continuing to use them? And why would WBD be OK with using AEW air-time to still announce and promote a match on an ROH show with The Briscoes? 

I feel like The Briscoes thing might be over stated. What WB execs are even still there that would have originally passed down that edict? With the merger and what-not. Plus they can reference them in a promo on Dynamite. They can show a graphic of them on Rampage. They can appear on WBD's app B/R. It's an odd situation that seems fluid doesn't totally make sense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Done the first three. Did Pizza Pieces, my favourite place to eat. Curry is my favourite takeaway but would still do Pizza Pieces first. Great seeing Batman Returns (1992) for the first time at the cinema. Walked past a packed pub so just got home before the second half, 0-1 down to the French.

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Is it like 9 PM over there, because that's a fantastic time. 11 PM over here is not terrible, either. Oh, it already said just that, but yeah perfect time!

Yep, great timing.

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

Well, that's a full day!

Indeed. Full from the food and with the tiredness mentioned in my last post before this, trying not to crash either. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ace said:

Dear Tony,

People still don't care about the Gates of Agony.

I care about seeing them live in WILMINGTON! on Jan 27

16 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Hey! I'm people too! Am I a joke to you? Joker, maybe, but still...

A joker a toker a midnight smoker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I feel like The Briscoes thing might be over stated. What WB execs are even still there that would have originally passed down that edict? With the merger and what-not. Plus they can reference them in a promo on Dynamite. They can show a graphic of them on Rampage. They can appear on WBD's app B/R. It's an odd situation that seems fluid doesn't totally make sense.

I think they should play it up: "The only team too dangerous for network TV! You can only see them in ROH on pay-per-view!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

and UFC 282

hope Batman Returns was everything you've dreamed it to be. sorry about to hear about the FIFA match. 

• Thanks 1

giphy.gif

In an INSANE year for great wrestling, FTR and Briscoes have easily 3 of the 10 greatest matches. Maybe 3 of the top 5. Straight top 3 is not unreasonable. Unreal.

I woke up at 4:30 am for this. Worth it.

Loved the whole show, from Cobb's insane strength to the Giant Swing tapout.

Crowd was amazing. Ocho!!

giphy.gif

Final thought before nap-time: Dalton Castle should team up with 

Spoiler

Brody King

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cobb/Dorada was a fun match.

Tag match was basically something you'd see 2.0 have on Dark.

Trish Adora is over and can wrestle quite well. Given how much she's used on Dark I wonder if she's been offered a contract yet but is more content being a big fish in smaller ponds throughout the indies. She's definitely someone who would be a good add to the main roster providing she was used well.

Top Flight/Kingdom was just what it needed to be - veteran heel team working with underdog faces and both sides using their strengths in a complimentary way.

The opening match had potential to be a fun, fast paced affair to set the mood and it mostly was, but there were some sloppy bits. LFI losing was a legit surprise, though under closer inspection it looks like a botch. Blake has a bright future in the business though I think he'd be better off staying in the indies for another year or so before getting a contract full time. He'd be a great fit for ROH if it takes back off. With Fox being All Elite I have to wonder if they're going to rekindle his feud with Swerve.

Good match between Mercedes and Athena, which was no surprise given the skills and experience of both involved. Vicious heel Athena is a great choice for ROH champ, though I'll miss seeing her in AEW regularly.

SIOG having a match didn't make much sense as it seemed clear they'd broken up at the last AEW PPV. Lee and Taylor had impressed me as a unit in ROH some years back and I'd have rather seen a good singles hossfight between them. This wasn't nearly as good as the matches with The Acclaimed, but it's also about the best I can recall seeing Keith Lee look in a while (probably due to his chemistry with Taylor). This was the first time I've seen Griffey and he wasn't terrible but out of his league.

I'm always glad to see Dalton Castle and Prince Nana on tv doing their things. It's a shame Castle's back is in bad shape as he'd be a massive hit on a bit stage. Kaun and Liona are both great big men and Cage...didn't do anything to drag this match down.

Wheeler/Yuta was another fine match between the two, even if I've never been wild about the Pure Title stipulations. I'm more interested to see what sort of relationship the two have from here given the BCC seemingly dissolving and the two having mutual respect for eachother.

After having two absolute bangers with eachother it would be interesting to see how FTR and The Briscoes would find a way to top that. The two previous matches told specific stories and this illustrated the tale of brutality and who could take the most punishment. Even the ref got color in this match. Dug the callback of Dax in a submission and Wheeler reaching for him trying to help, though this time not being able to make it. Not having it close the show was definitely a choice.

The TV title match seemed fine but I didn't have a ton of enthusiasm after the tag title match and Robinson doesn't interest me.

The world title match was better than I expected. The right guy won and I have to say the audience seemed pretty enthusiastic despite the card order.

Speaking of the crowd, any word on what the attendance was like?

The show also flowed really well. I don't know who was in charge of laying what out, but nothing felt longer than it should and there were no excessively long packages between matches.

I didn't catch any TV announcement. Is there some post-show scrum where TK is going to announce that?

• Like 2

I fucking love Wheeler Yuta so much. I know there’s some goofs on this board who don’t seem to think he’s worth investing in, but this guy has pure babyface energy. Tons of it. I love this dude.

Also, FTR fucking rules. I predict a heel turn and AEW title win for these guys soon. To borrow a phrase from DEAN;

ROH rules the motherfucking world!!!

• Like 9

Firstly, loved the time slot. Some nice stuff on the pre-show, namely Cobb-Dorada and the terrific Kingdom-Top Flight bouts. In the opener, Roosh looked fucking insane after that bummer finish, AR Fox looked fucking insane before it. Fun match to open despite what looked to be a horrible ref botch. Loved seeing Athena get her flowers! I hope this doesn't mean she's a babyface tho. Swerve/Lee-Taylor/Griffey was not without it's moments-good, bad and ugly. Griffey might have something, but he needs a lot of work. Taylor mostly has everything he needs, but a looser short/pant would do his look wonders. Six man tag title match was a ridiculous mess at most points. Did I see one of those Boys basically no-sell a drill claw? Castle is awesome and deserves a better set of Boys. The highlight was easily Nana's excitement over the win. Garcia-Yuta delivered the high quality truly inspired pro wrestling I was hoping for. FTR v Briscoes was easily worth the price of admission, and may have been my favorite match of the year. Very happy to see the Briscoes score the deserved win. That match didn't need the hindsight of seeing this entire PPV to know it should have been the Main Event. How do you follow that kind of bloody perfection!? Ya Don't! Joe-Juice was a rare 'terribly uninspired piece of booking' from TK, but the match played out perfectly fine. Robinson needs to play to his strengths and work the Ricky Morton spot in a tag team. I had an odd hope and feeling the 'King of Television' might announce the new TV/streaming deal post-match, but uh nope. Jericho v Claudio was a high quality and fun pro wrestling bout. I'm not so sure that was a great finish, but I totally popped for it. Excellent fun on Saturday afternoon. What's the weekly TV/streaming deal tho? Is this perhaps being discussed as I type?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

So they can't put the Briscoes on TV, they want ROH on TV...and they booked them to win the tag team titles?

Supposedly there wasn’t going to be roh stuff on aew tv going forward “other than jericho” but he lost the title so that would wrap it up. But they were supposed to announce some kind of weekly show, whether streaming or whatever. 

Just now, matt925 said:

Supposedly there wasn’t going to be roh stuff on aew tv going forward “other than jericho” but he lost the title so that would wrap it up. But they were supposed to announce some kind of weekly show, whether streaming or whatever. 

How do Wheeler Yuta, Samoa Joe, and Claudio Castagnoli feel about that?