DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 12/9/2022

The Natural

Moxley/Takeshita was badass, amazing match as expected. Loved the crowd reaction to Takeshita kicking out of the Death Rider and they get so behind him that there's actually boos when Moxley retakes control towards the end. Great stuff.

Bunny/Shida ruled and Orange/TrentSeven was a great main event, definitely wouldn't mind Seven sticking around. 

• Like 6

Not to take anything away from him as a wrestler, but given his physique I have to ask: did Trent Seven pick his ring name specifically to invite "Seven ate nine" jokes?

Like: "What happened to all the doughnuts backstage?" "Well..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I only saw the (quite long) YouTube clip but Seven was the nicest surprise. I thought he would be picked back up when NXT Europe rebooted, but he is 41 and so may be considered a bit long in the tooth. Whilst Cassidy can clearly bring out the best in people, and it's not the first time they've locked up, it was obviously a grand showing. Kudos for actually changing up the Stundog spot. I thought Seven was a good heel in the final days of NXT:UK, and I think he could be a good utility player in the Tonyverse.

I like to think Seven is not so much fat as continuously bloated from his vegan diet not really agreeing with him. 

A weird thing in AEW is they really don't seem to like using move names if they've been used by the guy/gal in WWE, but then they're quite happy using Stundog Millionaire (presumably as long as it's not Mark Andrews doing it?). I always hated that name, but I think somebody should go the whole way and follow up with the standing Shiranui so that they can call it the 'Stundog Millionaire Shortbread'. Random indy guy, thank me later.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 5:54 AM, Leonidas said:

That's twice Takeshita has lost to Mox. Kind of like Wheeler, he's getting closer. The crowd wanted him to go over there at the end. The third match in the trilogy whenever that will be has to go to Takeshita.

That kickout at barely one from Takeshita toward the end of the match is what dreams are made out of.

Edited by porksweats
forgot the of at the end
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Not to take anything away from him as a wrestler, but given his physique I have to ask: did Trent Seven pick his ring name specifically to invite "Seven ate nine" jokes?

Like: "What happened to all the doughnuts backstage?" "Well..."

Just needs to tone it up a bit and be a bit less jiggly and he’d be a perfect BAH GAWD Hoss.

My bigger issue was trying to find his neck but I finally realized his beard and hair were hiding it. 

• Like 2

I'm way behind and just saw the ROH preshow and Elevation Bonus Saturday edition, so will go quick:

• Takeshita vs Mox 2 was less of my sort of match than Takeshita vs Mox 1 but it was buoyed by the blood and the sheer hierarchy. Moxley really is Hansen in that he'll slug with you and then sneak in an eyepoke or a kick to the gut quickly and then keep plowing forward. That's pure Hansen. It was all a little back and forth for me, but it was still pretty exciting and that one-count kick out was great. I loved how Mox kept going for the double underhook and couldn't get it, until he did, and then, because he had been wrestling more from underneath after the blood started and because Takeshita is such a beast, it was just a one. Imagine the crowd next year when Takeshita actually gets a win on Mox.
  • Really fun Bunny control segment during the commercial break. Blanking a bit on other things though. Ready for Shida vs Hayter.
  • Moriarty doing the air guitar during his music works; other times, less so? It's probably a mistake not having Bill talk. He's got a cool factor but Satnam's out there doing a bunch of wild stuff and he's just chokeslaming people.
  • I haven't seen Trent Seven in years but he played along well with Cassidy. That first mustache bit was funny. The extracurriculars here were good. That twisting piledriver is such a neat move. Seven's Seven but it's important to note it was yet another good Cassidy match in a year full of them.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trent? TRENT! Trent Fucking Seven?!?! That was cool and did not even cross my mind!

I started watching, but fell asleep during the opener and woke up in the middle of the main event and fell back asleep before it ended. So yeah, haven't gotten around to Zero Hour, let alone Final Battle.

Edited by Shartnado
Sleepy Shartnado...

23 hours ago, porksweats said:

That kickout at barely one from Takeshita toward the end of the match is what dreams are made out.

I rewound that I think four times? Absolute perfection from both performers and the crowd. Wrestling rules. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I rewound that I think four times? Absolute perfection from both performers and the crowd. Wrestling rules. 

A textbook example of how the "Shocked face after a kick-out" trope isn't inherently bad. It's badly overused, but it's fine when the kick-out is actually shocking.

• Like 4

Wow that opener was great if Lard Lad is Ricky Steamboat who is MOX? Bock? Race? Type of stuff will keep me coming back!

DOES BUNNY EQUAL RATINGS? We will see...

Let me just say this Kip and Blade are a couple of lucky fellas. just gonna leave it at that.

Loved the match hated the inference spot. Something AEW needs to work on. These type of spot too often leave everyone involved looking like idiots, plus shouldn't have the Bunny been disqualified multiple times by pro wrestling's own "Logic". Similar situation happened on Dynamite when Sammy blatantly put his hands Claudio in front of the ref. Looking forward to Shida attempting to become Champ-Champ by taking the Women's Hossweight Title on Dynamite.

Stokley was on The Sessions talking about how great the Lee Moraity v Hook feud was going to be. I love Lee but he has the worst Entrance music is wrestling history. Love the Big Bill gimmick, just a big ole sumbitch named Bill!

sigh... I'm going to be the dissenting vote on this one this felt like yet another Youtube Main Event for OC. Laugh out loud reveal for Danhausen

MOAR BUNNY!!!

I await the ratings to see if people stuck around for a Forgone Conclusion Match

• Like 4

On 12/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, Shartnado said:

Trent? TRENT! Trent Fucking Seven?!?! That was cool and did not even cross my mind!

I started watching, but fell asleep during the opener and woke up in the middle of the main event and fell back asleep before it ended. So yeah, haven't gotten around to Zero Hour, let alone Final Battle.

Not entirely sure why I can't embed tweets, but nevermind.

• Haha 3

I'm struggling to really see how ROH differentiates itself from AEW to the extent that people want to pay money for it. It's not like even the Pure Title matches are *so* much different from AEW style.

I mean, yeah maybe you could run that hoss tournament, you could switch the 6-man belts to lucha rules but that's window-dressing really and in the nicest possible sense....if you've got ten dollars burning a hole in your pocket for indy-style wrestling.....you give it to Tony Khan to see Preston Vance go 18 minutes?