DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Inoue is probably the most intriguing person in the Top Rank stable, but I wonder if he will ever fight stateside on a regular basis. Now that Navarrete has moved up, they really don't have a junior featherweight he match up with. Any notable fight they make at 122 has to be interpromotional.

December 19, 1997: Easily one of the most sensational nights of boxing with two of the best back to back wars that didn't make it past six rounds. In addition, you have four fighters in perhaps the most stacked weight range (122 lbs - 130 lbs)  in boxing at that time who all have something to prove. First up, you have 1988 Olympic gold medalist Kennedy McKinney and "Poison" Junior Jones for the WBO Super Bantamweight title. McKinney is desperately trying to prove he isn't past his prime while Jones coming off a bit of a layoff and upset wins against Marco Antonio Barrera is angling for a fight against the winner of the main event. Speaking of the main event, "Prince" Naseem Hamed is making his stateside debut to defend his WBO Featherweight title against easily his toughest test and longtime stalwart of the aforementioned weight range, Kevin Kelley. Hamed has garnered so much attention by the time of his U.S. debut that not only has the card that would have been reserved for "Boxing After Dark" been moved up to the HBO A show "World Championship Boxing", but it has been slotted for the big room at Madison Square Garden instead for the 5,600 seat MSG theater (formerly known as the Felt Forum). By facing Kelley, Hamed is burdened with the task of proving he isn't a fraud like so many of his detractors believe. For Kelley, the proven hometown vet from Flushing Queens who has fought 14 times previously at MSG but never in the main arena as a pro, he wants to show that he deserves the mantle of the kingpin and the class of those divisions that include names like Morales, Barrera, Gatti, "Smoke" Gainer, his NYC compatriot Junior Jones, McKinney, Manfredy, Norwood, Luisito Espinosa, Wilfredo Vazquez, Carlos "El Famoso" Hernandez, Tracy Harris Patterson, Gabriel Ruelas, the super tough Genaro Hernandez, the legendary Daniel Zaragoza who retired just a few months earlier, Azumah Nelson in the twilight of his career, surging prospects like Diego Corrales, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Floyd Mayweather Jr., and his opponent for that night "The Prince". The energy in the arena is palpable by the time the main event rolls around thanks to the tone set by the opener and already a slew of A-list celebrities in attendance. I would describe that energy is the same type of energy that permeates some of the biggest UFC cards today in that you have a sense that anything can happen at any time. It also helps you have four all action fighters (although Hamed would dip in and out of that as his career took off from that night) who are also highly flawed and (again) have something if not everything to prove individually. Just fantastic stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, username said:

Still amazing that JMM added so much muscle and power at such an advanced age...

In the immortal words of the great scholar Katt Williams imitating Roger Clemens testifying before Congress, "I was never on steroids!....I just got bigger and stronger the older I got."

• Haha 1

• Elsalvajeloco unpinned, pinned, unpinned, pinned, locked and unpinned this topic