DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2022

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Glad I chose to completely zone out at work to watch the last 6 rounds of AJ/Usyk but what the hell was Joshua rambling about at the end there? Who gave that man a mic?

Early mid life crisis

Mexico is not known for producing heavyweight boxers so he was kinda doomed from the beginning.

When Top Rank finds bums for their prospects to fight, they spare no expense. The dude who fought Jared Anderson in the next "fight" (slaughtering) was some poor schlub from Serbia. 

Efe Ajagba was on the undercard. Instead of seeing Torrez Jr. kill that one dude, we couldn't have gotten Anderson vs. Ajagba instead? They had more than enough time to squeeze in that KO without scheduling the bout itself to be televised. Pedraza vs. Commey was an okay crossroads fight. However, between it taking almost 20 minutes to start the fights due to a broken ring and the two absurd mismatches, Top Rank's talent roster got exposed big time tonight. They don't have enough name fighters to put on quality cards every 2-3 weeks. They have a bunch of a good prospects, but it's starting to feel like Friday Night Fights with some solid top tier fights thrown in every now and then.

And to be fair, since the top fighters only fight once or twice a year, it feels like all the networks are trying to stretch out their thin stables. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I barely remember them tbh but one of the results seemed ludicrous (I think the draw) and one seemed like it could've gone either way. 

Still, I don't understand your hatred for Saul Alvarez. He's a great boxer who likely ate a tainted steak that resulted in him getting popped. Is it because he's the new golden boy of Mexican boxing and gets favourable treatment? Dude fights well and seems like a decent person. Neither guy is peaking right now but I imagine Canelo takes this as his recent loss was more a result of finding out after fucking around at a weight class his frame probably can't carry him through, whereas Golovkin has shown flashes of his prime form but definitely looks to have lost a step. The nice thing about Alvarez is he is far from a perfect fighter and even in some of his recent wins he was getting out boxed. Should be fun! 

13 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I barely remember them tbh but one of the results seemed ludicrous (I think the draw) and one seemed like it could've gone either way. 

Still, I don't understand your hatred for Saul Alvarez. He's a great boxer who likely ate a tainted steak that resulted in him getting popped. Is it because he's the new golden boy of Mexican boxing and gets favourable treatment? Dude fights well and seems like a decent person. Neither guy is peaking right now but I imagine Canelo takes this as his recent loss was more a result of finding out after fucking around at a weight class his frame probably can't carry him through, whereas Golovkin has shown flashes of his prime form but definitely looks to have lost a step. The nice thing about Alvarez is he is far from a perfect fighter and even in some of his recent wins he was getting out boxed. Should be fun! 

The draw in the first fight was the ludicrous one, the second was closer. Still felt Triple G won both.

I can't warn to Canelo, him getting popped primarily and favourable scorecards. Just feels like the deck is stacked in his favour. I'll openly admit I don't like/follow boxing as I do MMA. I much prefer that. In both there's popular fighters you are in the minority on and that's me with Alvarez even with his accomplishments. I will say I enjoyed how he KTFO Amir Khan though!

I had Golovkin edging out the first fight, but Canelo edging out the second. Golovkin didn't exactly repeat his performance in the first, and I think that's probably because he isn't the same fighter who use to be. 

As for Canelo himself, there was a point where I thought he peaked as a fighter some years back. In hindsight, I think it had to do a lot with kinda the transitioning of Canelo primarily being trained by Chepo instead of Chepo's son Eddy who is now really his trainer. Up until the Bivol fight, I thought he was having his best run in terms of consistency. After the Bivol, I think it's clear he should only be fighting at 160 or 168 as far as real, live opponents.

• Like 2