DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2022

Dolfan in NYC

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2022

For boxing folks, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: The first major boxing PPV of the year is actually today!

Bad news: It's Luis Ortiz vs. Prince Charles Martin and the whole PPV card is all heavyweight bouts with mostly non contenders. So basically, it's a Don King PPV from the mid 2000s. 

• Haha 1

Alexander Usyk should've won Fighter of the Year. Mauricio Lara vs. Josh Warrington I as the Upset of the Year perhaps. Knockout of the Year I'd go with Callum Smith vs. Lenin Castillo, that was scary for how Castillo's body reacted.

Edited by The Natural

Unless it's an otherworldly KO or fight of the the year candidate for a lower level fight, I usually try to go for the fight with highest stakes possible when it comes to awards. For me, that's usually the tiebreaker. I can certainly see someone picking the Callum Smith one but Lenin Castillo is basically a journeyman. I would probably go Oscar Valdez over Miguel Berchelt. Meaningful title fight and brutal finish.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Unless it's an otherworldly KO or fight of the the year candidate for a lower level fight, I usually try to go for the fight with highest stakes possible when it comes to awards. For me, that's usually the tiebreaker. I can certainly see someone picking the Callum Smith one but Lenin Castillo is basically a journeyman. I would probably go Oscar Valdez over Miguel Berchelt. Meaningful title fight and brutal finish.

I also mostly give awards to when the pressure was on the most and quality of opposition. I think back to giving Frank Mir the Submission of the Year to Big Nog over Chang Sung Jung beating Leonard Garcia with the first ever Twister in the UFC. I'm unfamiliar with Lenin Castillo as I hardly watch boxing as I do MMA. I forgot Valdez/Berchelt. Good shout, I'd pick that now as my KO of the Year.

• Like 1

Lived up to the hype and then some lol. Martin looked like he was in another dimension before the Andre finish.

Ortiz looked really old from the highlights I saw. He was downed multiple times, once by a jab.

Edited by Jiji

I'd definitely have Oleksandr Usyk as Fighter of the Year over Saul Alvarez even with one fight. Going from Cruiserweight to Heavyweight and taking all those world titles easily in Anthony Joshua's own backyard. Usyk's only the third fighter to hold world titles at both weights with Evander Holyfield and David Haye

Edited by The Natural

30 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Lived up to the hype and then some lol. Martin looked like he was in another dimension before the Andre finish.

Ortiz looked really old from the highlights I saw. He was downed multiple times, once by a jab.

I saw most of the fight (was watching the Sugar Bowl as well). Yeah, Ortiz looked done and even Brian Kenny and Goossen indicated as much on commentary right after the fight (specifically about his legs being gone). For the commentators who need to shill for one of their guys to say that tells you everything you need to know. 

It got to a point where after Luis got knocked down the 2nd time and they show his family literally crying in the audience that I was already thinking about Wilder fighting Charles Martin as Wilder's bounce back fight. I mean in the leadup to fight, the only interesting thing was the talk of Martin almost fighting Wilder as a replacement for Ortiz when Wilder and Ortiz fought the first time I believe. With Ortiz somehow winning, I am not sure what that means. Maybe he fights Frank Sanchez or Helenius or somebody because I don't need to see a third fight with Wilder. He knocked out the best version of Luis Ortiz twice. This version would get sent into the fourth row. He looked that bad. He got dropped by a jab that didn't even look that hard. That was concerning in addition to his legs being gone.

I think PBC and Fox were hoping for Ortiz to get a KO over Martin in a one sided fight or Martin to somehow win so they can have an opponent for Wilder. They got neither. It was the worst outcome they could have gotten. Guy gets outboxed clearly for several rounds and dropped with offense that didn't appear to be that powerful and then wins by stoppage because his opponent isn't good enough to see through beating a clearly washed up fighter. 

They really could have put this on regular Fox and been done with it. 

• Like 1

Yeah, nothing good came of this. Add to Ortiz's deterioration and the bad outcome, referees will usually step in when they see a fighter clearly dissociate/controller run out of batteries. Sheesh.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Call the police because Jack Catterall just got robbed by the judges. Should be the new junior-welterweight champion, clear as day. Glad I don't give any of my money to this joke of a sport. 

23 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Call the police because Jack Catterall just got robbed by the judges. Should be the new junior-welterweight champion, clear as day. Glad I don't give any of my money to this joke of a sport. 

Didn't watch the fight but I might when it's replayed. Listened to BBC Radio 5 Live and reading online reaction, it's a real robbery. The only people I've seen who think Taylor won is Taylor and the two judges who scored it to him. That's it.

Edited by The Natural