DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/7/2022

The Natural

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

DUSTIN MAKES TV! AND HE SLAPPS MEAT WITH THE BUTCHER!!! (I like to think The Butcher has a mid 90's wwf job as a butcher outside of wrestling and his buddy the blade is a barber) Dalton Castle makes TV! and the Boys Makes the save! Have The Boys ever gone head to head with DEM BOYS? Could be fun! I wish Dante Martin was in this, speaking of Dante , him his brother and The Fabulous Mr. Fox should challenge Dalton and His Boys for the six man straps in ROH! What a fun battle royal! If only the Continental Lover JD Drake had been in it. I love when the dark crew gets to pop up in these.

Lot of good wrestling tonight! Sign of the night Julia's Hat > Hager's Hat

You know there is a lot of Rock in Starkman Jones presentation. That's okay there was a lot of Superstar Billy Graham in Hulk Hogan and he turned out ok. Better than all the Mike Rotundo in Ethan Page I guess. You stark getting old you notice these things. Everything old is new again.

I guess Keira Hogan is next for Jade, we are quickly running out of people for her to beat. And I hop no more Madison Rayne

Speaking of THAT WITCH Julia Ghoulia The Reverend Mother of The Bene Gesserit is here to teach us that fear is the mind killer! (Ok I watched David Lynches dune last night under rated film. sure the new one had Dave Bautisa but this one has a naked Sting!) Brody King tells us punishment is extinction under the Killing Moon.

Speaking of extinction. If we extinguish the Elite can we have more main event tag team wrestling like this? Wow is Bowen's putting it together. That was great! But can we take a moment to talk about what exactly the fuck is up with Colton's armpit tattoo?

Idk, but it’s certainly an experiment worth performing…

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dog said:

So any teenager who's attempted suicide has terrible parents? Not a take I expected to see here. Pretty sure mountains of psychological literature disagree with that stance. 

5 hours ago, Dog said:

There's nothing to discuss. Wrong is wrong, end of story.

My point was misconstrued, but I take no offense and for board sanity I'll leave the point moot.

Thoughts-

-Dynamite Diamond Battle Royal was a thing. There's some guys I like in here. Dalton Castle is someone I'd never seen before his recent AEW run, and he is wildly entertaining. You dicks never told me about him. The Firm seems like a good heel machine for Jungle Jack to run through, although pairing him with Big Bill seems to be a good way to get him injured. This booking is confusing. Starks should get to stash the title shot in his back pocket and get to just go for the ring next week. That way he can beat MJF but MJF can keep the title. MJF isn't a dominant heel, he's a sneaky one, and losing to Starks when the title isn't on the line wouldn't hurt him at all. Anyway, this promo segment absolutely ruled. MJF gave his usual schtick, and then Ricky by God Starks completely outclassed him, though I got the sense MJF held back a bit. The way I howled when he told MJF "you smell like paint thinner and ass!" Starks lost focus a bit toward the end, but that last bit about relieving him of responsibility was pretty great. Again, the only problem is that there's no way Starks is winning this match, though he might should.

-It's crazy to me how much the purple hat deal has re-invigorated Jake Hager. It's like this whole time we've been watching Carrot Top before he started using props. Really fun match here.

-There's a lot of buzz about Saraya's partner being TAFKA Sasha Banks. That would be the biggest shot across WWE's bow AEW has taken since... well, since ever, really. Since Danielson at minimum. She's one of the few stars out there who will draw eyes (though for the life of me I still can't figure out why), and a couple of fairly reputable news aggregators have said they've been told by sources in the company that there's a reason this match is being announced so far in advance. I liked Hayter's tone and intensity in this interview. Should be a heck of a fight.

-Also, Jade Cargill is awesome. It's good to see Red Velvet (for a few reasons), and Skye Blue really is getting better. Again, at some point you've gotta figure out who is going to take the title off Jade, and it seems risky to bank on Statlander being able to stay healthy for any prolonged period of time.

-The BCC thing was fine. If Regal's leaving then this is as good a way to explain it as anything else. I enjoyed Billy Reegs doing his best "Randy in Scream 3" here. Kept waiting for William to explain the rules of a horror trilogy.

-This main event was fire. I've seen a lot of people say they think TK has fumbled the bag with FTR. That FTR may end up leaving if they don't win the AEW Tag titles. First of all, those guys don't strike me as big belt marks. They have a lot of belts, but that seems to be more to facilitate their current characters. FTR left WWE because they didn't feel like WWE took tag wrestling seriously. This match was serious tag team wrestling. Anthony Bowens is probably #4 on my current "wrestler of 2022" list (Mox, Dax, Yuta). This is the kind of stuff these guys say they want to do. What's more akin to "Serious tag team wrestling;" stuff like this, or endless feuds with Hit Row, The Viking Raiders, Otis & Gable, etc? Not to mention, FTR isn't gonna give up those lucrative indy one-offs and dates in Mexico and Japan. FTR is AEW, and Wednesday night they reminded us why.

TK just needs to keep having shows like this. The number will grow. 

• Like 6

I never actually finished writing up the show.

• I enjoyed the trios but Grey struggled during the commercial break figuring out when to give Skye hope spots, and some of that might have just been Hogan being TOO good at working the apron. She was keeping the fans clapping there. The apron bit was awesome. Velvet improved a lot in the first half of 2022. I like how she just disappeared into it, slinking down into nothing. Pretty clever layout in keeping Hogan and Jade mostly out of it and then just teasing that instead of paying it off. I do think Grey's getting better in general, but it's a process.
  • Main was great. It feels like a blur now. Some amazing near falls but it also didn't break down too early. Obviously we want them to run it back with FTR as full heels. I don't know what FTR will do but they've had a great year and they'd have a great 2023 if they stuck around as heels and feuded with Top Flight, Private Party, BCC, and the Acclaimed.
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I never actually finished writing up the show.

• I enjoyed the trios but Grey struggled during the commercial break figuring out when to give Skye hope spots, and some of that might have just been Hogan being TOO good at working the apron. She was keeping the fans clapping there. The apron bit was awesome. Velvet improved a lot in the first half of 2022. I like how she just disappeared into it, slinking down into nothing. Pretty clever layout in keeping Hogan and Jade mostly out of it and then just teasing that instead of paying it off. I do think Grey's getting better in general, but it's a process.
  •  

I seem to recall that once Jade and Hogan faced off, Hogan got 2 or 3 spots in before being squashed?

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think she took everyone out and then foolishly tagged Rayne back in?

I looked and you're right, Rayne ate the pin, my mistake. I still think it didn't do anything to make Hogan look like she stood a ghost of a chance.

Just now, JLowe said:

I looked and you're right, Rayne ate the pin, my mistake. I still think it didn't do anything to make Hogan look like she stood a ghost of a chance.

I agree that keeping her on the apron for the whole match with such a novel layout did more along those lines than anything that happened in the ring. She doesn't have a shot but she has a personal issue and can mark time until whatever happens in January. It's better Jade's wrestling people with personal issues than just random challengers, I guess?

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:49 AM, Jenalysis said:

I think Fight forever is going to matter a lot- if that game does well, AEW will continue as usual.  If it doesn't (and my gut feeling is that it's not going to do that well) then AEW might have some issues.

I'd love to buy that game for my nephew, but I think he gives negative shits about wrestling games, if the WWE 2K19 I got him a couple of years ago is any indication. Who knows, maybe I will get it for him regardless?

Sucks #FTR never held the AEW World Tag Team Championship to go with the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship, ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA World Tag Team Championship at the same time. Bucks should have done the job in the rubber match either on AEW All Out, AEW Dynamite or AEW Full Gear.