DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/7/2022

The Natural

8 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:
  Hide contents

His 14 yr old daughter just attempted suicide via sharp object.  I'm going to assume you were not aware of this.  The asshole who made the sign clearly was.  Fuck that.

Spoiler

I'm totally aware of it. If he was a decent father and human being he wouldn't have led her to that, hopefully she gets the help he needs and gets away from him as soon as possible.

• Like 3

Show was great. I’m a little bummed out because I believe strongly that they should build around Darby, Starks, Hobbs and The Acclaimed, and the first guy jobbed this week and the second guy is gonna job next week. But that’s me as a fan/mark for my favorites talking, not about the stuffing instead of the potatoes or whatever.

• Like 3

Joe noped Darby's lowpe tope, the dope. After the skateboard bump I wanted Darby crying over it like Larry Fine breaking his Stradivarius. "My beautiful Roskopp!"

I had resigned myself to Starks making booboo 😞 faces and getting nothing in while MJF ran him down, so imagine my surprise when he came back with that absolute shooting star of a promo. Starks chopped, simmered, sautéed and ate MJF alive with rolls, salad and a nice vino, and you're going to waste it on him going one-and-done next week? Fuck. That. Noise. Call an audible and strap him. They can always hot-shot it back to MJF and have him write it off as a bump in the road on his reign of terror... but sweet fancy Moses, do not drop the ball on Starks in this moment.

• Like 9

When Darby/Joe got rolling it hit me that it could basically be Necro/Joe for tv.  It didn't get that violent, but close.

If you're worried about the bumps Darby takes while wrestling, give him a follow on Instagram. Those bumps are like the 20th most dangerous thing he does over the course of a week.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Log said:

When Darby/Joe got rolling it hit me that it could basically be Necro/Joe for tv.  It didn't get that violent, but close.

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING! I meant to ask on here, "Hey, was Darby vs Joe almost the modern day Joe vs Necro match or as close as we'll get to that again?" That really is about as close to that level of violence. I mean, I was going nuts during Darby and Joe and completely forgot that Joe is in a program with Wardlow. Now I wish Joe was in a program against Darby.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RefMattyD570 said:

I’d be all for Danielson giving Starks the brass knuckles to knock MJF out and win the belt. That feud doesn’t need the belt, especially since Danielson has said he doesn’t want it. 

Also, I think MJF is the only person that kind of comeuppance can be given to without it seeming like a heel move from the babyface. 

Simple, brilliant, perfectly within character and storyline. So mote it be!

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

May I ask why? Especially when they’re poised to add another jewel to the crown in three days?

There seemed to be a moment on the table when plans had to pivot to the Bucks from the Hardys, but it’s passed. FTR’s reputation isn’t enhanced by another set of belts, while Acclaimed would have flash-in-the-pan stink if they drop to another allegedly more important babyface team. This was the right result if they were booking this match right now. We agree on Acclaimed not losing at the very least.

It is nitpicking admittedly, but FTR are being called the greatest tag team in wrestling and are missing AEW tag team gold.  They backed themselves into a corner a bit.

Yikes.  How’d you like to be Jungle Boy this morning?  I’m so sick with the bronchitis at the moment and I doubt I feel worse than he does.  That apron bump freaked me out.

I was super concerned with Starks getting eaten alive by MJF.  But thankfully he made a very good accounting of himself.  The match itself will eventually be the real test to see if Starks gets elevated here.  So tread lightly.

Starks’ promo was good.  But not the star making performance it could have all on its own.  But if the match makes him look like he COULD HAVE won the belt.  It’ll be fine.

That shit on MJFs neck has some shit on its neck.

Loved Joe/Darby.  Joe is a mean mean MEAN man.  Darby loves to die for for amusement.  

A lot of the rest of the was a blur thanks to all the meds I’m on.  But I did come back around for the tag title match.  Even though I was excited for the match.  I kept forgetting it was on this show.  Then Ex would remind me again and again with the graphics insert and I would be surprised each time.  

It was a helluva match too.  Glad they gave the win to Caster really needed some points on the board.  The wrestlers got out wrestled in a rare case of youth overcoming experience. The Acclaimed are on a streak and there is no reason to have them lose at this point.  

Bad timing for AEW yet again being cut off from the temptation of a belt collecting gimmick.  But ultimately it doesn’t really matter if FTR does get them all.  They have a really high credit limit with me.

Great show.  

Scissor me AEW!

Edited by Brandon Bones
Lack of proofreading
  • Like 5

It wouldn't be a huge surprise in terms of shock or anything but Saraya could even team with her mum Saraya Snr who helped train Britt and even had a match with her where Saraya jnr was in the audience. I'm not sure if global audiences are ready for the c*nt punt quite yet though.

• Like 1

Made progress on the commute. Busy work day but let me throw down some thoughts. I'll hit the last two matches later.

• I liked the battle royal. I'll have to rewatch it for Monday as Dustin was in it. Great to see Dustin in it. I loved all the managers/seconds out there. Stokely and Big Bill. Blade and Bunny. Penelope. Nana. The Boys. And there were managers not even around like Sterling and Jose and Vickie. It's just a really big part of AEW and I do enjoy it. Blade was especially great cheerleading on the outside. There were lots of fun interactions but maybe not as many as I'd like. Always tough to have a commercial break in the midst of a battle royal since it means stacking too many eliminations early and then having a down period where none happy. I enjoyed Lee Moriarty interacting with Page and Matt Hardy quite a bit. He kept wanting a high five from Matt. Starks felt like he disappeared for a while in there though the fans were chanting for him. This would have been a good opportunity to pair off Jungle Boy and Starks for twenty seconds or something. 
  • MJF's promo saying the obvious things people think to tear down his opponent are always a little dangerous but thankfully, Starks was up to the challenge. His delivery of just going and going and going and building and building and spewing personal truth after personal truth was super effective and better than a lot of promos I've heard from him lately. It's not a trick everyone can do and it's not a trick he can always do, but against MJF in front of this crowd with the opportunity upcoming, it worked. He needs to win some feuds real quick though. I hate saying it, but it almost makes sense to pair him with Jericho at Revolution and put him over Parker, Menard, Hager, Garcia, Sammy, and then Jericho, week after week after week all the way. Knowing Jericho, he'd leech onto him for four months though.
  • I'll have to rewatch Darby vs Joe to write it up at length, but they're such perfect opponents and this match, in and of itself, justifies this Joe run. Can you believe this is the same guy who was in the poncho getting soaked as an announcer? I think the proper endgame here is Jungle Boy ultimately toppling but who knows what you do with Wardlow in that scenario. 
  • Enjoyed the tag a lot. Despite this feud going on forever, Hager vs Yuta still felt fresh and Claudio vs Garcia still felt fresh. The hat stuff remains fun. Very much like that Claudio won with the uppercut because it's good to put it over as something that can win a match. Some gnarly spots/bumps between Claudio and Hager, like that face first drop on the rana. The only way for the feud to really end is by Claudio beating Jericho on Saturday but no one will deny that the Claudio in a hat thing wouldn't be amusing for a bit.
  • Like everyone else, I want Hayter vs Shida. It's funny that Khan's response to the low rating is putting Bunny back on Rampage. 
  • Match 4 of 9: Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta 2/4/82: I need to keep going with these as I have 9 matches and they only have 7. This was in AJPW but for the AWA Title. Verne had gotten it back and retired at this point. Between 80 and 82, I'd say Jumbo had moved on to his second form more fully. That is to say that he and Bock came off like equals here, which gave the match a different sort of feel. Bock slammed him from the get go, but then Jumbo returned favor and he took almost the entirety of the opening matwork by hanging onto the arm through Bockwinkel's escape attempts. On paper, some of this (the arm submissions, into a surfboard sort of test of strength, into the initial cobra twist) that took up the first ten minutes might not sound compelling, but when they were zoomed into Bock (and Jumbo's!) facial expressions, it was very good. Just full commitment to the struggle. Bockwinkel might be the best actor and reactor in a wrestling ring ever. And Jumbo, with mouth stretched open and gritted teeth, rose to the occasion.

This went just under twenty and it probably needed another two or three minutes with Bock on top. He took over after the Cobra Twist with some hard shots to the gut in the ropes, a little King of the Mountain, and a slam from a suplex position bringing Jumbo in from the apron. Bock had some holds here but it just needed a bit more heat. Jumbo's big comeback was with the jumping knee off the ropes out of the sleeper.

I'd say the last five minutes of this were excellent. Jumbo was absolutely feeling it, yelling and charging across the ring for these big jumping stomps to Bock's back. He'd use the crab and most of a camel clutch to really wear it down and set things up for the second Cobra Twist. Pretty dramatic stuff and the fans were buying into it. Bockwinkel was able to pry the leg out slowly and dramatically to get him over and escape. He had a last burst of offense, but was always reaching back to sell the back in a way that felt organic and never took away from what he was doing. Just the stuff that he was better than literally anyone in wrestling at doing and that puts him over his contemporaries because he's able to balance this and registering what happened in the match while still keeping it dynamic and exciting and emotional and electric. It all builds to him being unable to slam Jumbo and Jumbo trying to put him away with an airplane spin. Both wrestlers go tumbling out and Jumbo starts spinning him again again, spiraling around the ringside area erratically as photographers have to dive out of the way. Incredible visual. He's unable to beat the count back in though so it's a draw. This was a different dynamic and interesting to see but I think Bockwinkel ultimately gave up just a little too much without getting a little more back to really put it over the top. If Bock had leaned on him a bit more the place would have exploded all the more so when Jumbo hit the jumping knee. Still, great performances.

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JLowe said:

We’re going to get chickenshit heel champ cheating/taking DQs/ducking matches to hold the belt for a while, unfortunately. Starks is going to hit the spear, go for a second, Max will pull the ref in the way and use the ring to win.

I so wanted Ricky to steal the ring last night.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, caley said:

MJF was weaksauce, though. "The Pebble"?! That's like something a disapproving dad would say about you watching wrestling: "He calls himself The Rock? More like the Pebble! The Undertaker? More like The Overfaker!" Fully expect after he defeats Starks, MJF will target The Acclaimed: "Rap music? More like crap music!"

I cannot stress enough how this is actually a good thing. The top heel should not be burying his babyface challenger, or looking cooler than them in any way. These are exactly the types of promos MJF should be doing. A couple lines that make you chuckle, but mostly being annoying, and most importantly, leaving the face some room to fire back and actually generate interest in the payoff match. Not everyone is going to be able to up the ante continuously on scathing promos like Punk, so MJF needs to dial his stuff back to whatever level his opponent can handle/the program requires. By not making himself the center of attention, I'm now way more excited for his match next week than I was a couple days ago, and based on the replies, I'm not alone in that thought.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Acclaimed is one of the company's hottest acts right now and it's not time for them to lose, especially when they haven't had the belts that long.

Only other thing you could've done was a non-finish and that would've pissed everyone off too.

• Like 4

Thursday Reflections: So this show was FOUR TIMES better in the International Feed.  The thing is that there were three tag matches and the foundation of US tag team wrestling is the heat segment and the heat segments are lost in the picture in picture in AEW and WWE.  The thing is that there were three GREAT heat segments lost.  Wheeler Yuta is fuckin Ricky Steamboat getting the crowd behind him as Jake Hagar was FANTASTIC being an old school heel, getting the crowd behind Yuta's struggle.  During the ladies six-woman match, Leila Grey goes so basic as to do a 1974 headlock spot that gets the Austin crowd to actually chant "Skye Blue!"  During the main event, JESUS CHRIST! FTR NEEDS TO TURN SUPERHEEL.  They are so fucking good being complete dicks and Cash Wheeler was fucking Tully Blanchard during the commercial.  I SOOOO going to be into FTR's heel turn.  So fucking great.  I assume they will beat the shit out of the Ass Boys and THEN turn heel to beat the Acclaimed.  What a great time to be alive.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Acclaimed is one of the company's hottest acts right now and it's not time for them to lose, especially when they haven't had the belts that long.

Only other thing you could've done was a non-finish and that would've pissed everyone off too.

FTR doesn't lose a single ounce of credibility losing here either, this was the Acclaimed's to win and my god did they.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm totally aware of it. If he was a decent father and human being he wouldn't have led her to that, hopefully she gets the help he needs and gets away from him as soon as possible.

So any teenager who's attempted suicide has terrible parents? Not a take I expected to see here. Pretty sure mountains of psychological literature disagree with that stance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Log said:

Yeah, let's not do that maybe?

If myths aren't contested, they become accepted. Too many parents already blame themselves for things that are largely out of their control. 

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

If myths aren't contested, they become accepted. Too many parents already blame themselves for things that are largely out of their control. 

Not saying I disagree with you at all.  Just maybe you guys could take it to private message and discuss?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dynamite was at 840 k this week, but Da Meltz said there was a problem with Spectrum cable last night that could’ve effected 30 mil homes, plus the folks in NC that still don’t have cable. Still 3rd on the night, with only the NBA beating them.

• Like 3

This show is so fun at 530am, and easily my favorite early morning programming since Our Gang/Little Rascals topped the 5-7 block. It's a happy feeling seeing a guy like Ricky Starks make the most of his time. Darby v Joe was fucking incredible. So too FTR v Acclaimed. Of course it had a clean finish! Eh E Dub! Okay, Briscoes v FTR 3 as requested, and I'm buying the ROH PPV. Nothing but love and affection for a Saturday afternoon PPV start time. 

• Like 2

DUSTIN MAKES TV! AND HE SLAPPS MEAT WITH THE BUTCHER!!! (I like to think The Butcher has a mid 90's wwf job as a butcher outside of wrestling and his buddy the blade is a barber) Dalton Castle makes TV! and the Boys Makes the save! Have The Boys ever gone head to head with DEM BOYS? Could be fun! I wish Dante Martin was in this, speaking of Dante , him his brother and The Fabulous Mr. Fox should challenge Dalton and His Boys for the six man straps in ROH! What a fun battle royal! If only the Continental Lover JD Drake had been in it. I love when the dark crew gets to pop up in these.

Lot of good wrestling tonight! Sign of the night Julia's Hat > Hager's Hat

You know there is a lot of Rock in Starkman Jones presentation. That's okay there was a lot of Superstar Billy Graham in Hulk Hogan and he turned out ok. Better than all the Mike Rotundo in Ethan Page I guess. You stark getting old you notice these things. Everything old is new again.

I guess Keira Hogan is next for Jade, we are quickly running out of people for her to beat. And I hop no more Madison Rayne

Speaking of THAT WITCH Julia Ghoulia The Reverend Mother of The Bene Gesserit is here to teach us that fear is the mind killer! (Ok I watched David Lynches dune last night under rated film. sure the new one had Dave Bautisa but this one has a naked Sting!) Brody King tells us punishment is extinction under the Killing Moon.

Speaking of extinction. If we extinguish the Elite can we have more main event tag team wrestling like this? Wow is Bowen's putting it together. That was great! But can we take a moment to talk about what exactly the fuck is up with Colton's armpit tattoo?

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Log said:

Not saying I disagree with you at all.  Just maybe you guys could take it to private message and discuss?

There's nothing to discuss. Wrong is wrong, end of story.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Dynamite was at 840 k this week, but Da Meltz said there was a problem with Spectrum cable last night that could’ve effected 30 mil homes, plus the folks in NC that still don’t have cable. Still 3rd on the night, with only the NBA beating them.

but Reddit tells me every week that if Dynamite doesn't get over a million viewers that Warner Discovery will be pissed and cancel them or not give them money! #3 for the night and only the NBA beat them?! DO BETTER.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2