DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/7/2022

The Natural

49 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

And boo to AEW for having FTR lose to The Acclaimed. FTR is their tag team linchpin but nope let them hold every other tag title but the AEW tag titles and they'll not renew their contracts. Good job Tony Khan.

9 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Dropped the ball big time not having FTR beat Jurassic Express back in May. Should've been a four belt summer.

#FTR should have ended the Bucks second reign as AEW World Tag Team Champions on Dynamite or even All Out in the rubber match.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They were really long overdue to sell that Starks vs. MJF match. Not sure if tonight's promo will do the trick, but at least it was a damn good segment, and Starks more than held his own in there. Nice to see someone fire back at MJF for once. 

I'm so confused about The Gunn Club's actions. They're are punishing FTR by booking them in a dog collar match with The Briscoes? Also, what gives them the authority to put such a match together? Also why not try to challenge FTR for a shot at their belts?

Just now, TheVileOne said:

I'm so confused about The Gunn Club's actions. They're are punishing FTR by booking them in a dog collar match with The Briscoes? Also, what gives them the authority to put such a match together? Also why not try to challenge FTR for a shot at their belts?

You're confused because you're dumb, not actually watching, and just looking to bitch about whatever.

They're delivering a message from the Briscoes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I love how in the Starks’ promo he started on the far corner of the ring mocking MJF, but as he progressively got more intense and confrontational he slowly made his way over to him. Forcing us as viewers closer to both visually and figuratively what was being said. Subtle and well done blocking. 

If memory serves, this is similar to how the escalation was presented in the first Punk-MJF sparring session last thanksgiving. Nice to notice some people keeping useful tricks. 

• Like 4

Apologies if this has already been said.  Just finished the show and this is stream of conscious. 

Props to Ricky Starks for standing toe to toe with MJF on the mic, that is some feat.  He did have home field advantage and imo, he needs a catch phrase, because he tapered off at the end there, but i was hyped and smiling from this energy. 

Using Darby Allin to get Wardlow over is decent, although they took too long.  Joe should have kept the clutch on, and when refs couldnt pry him off, that is when Wardlow runs down. 

Jon Moxley def no sold Regals write off and is a better man for that.  He moved it along, but i found it weird Danielson was left out of this. 

The more i see Jade, the more i go "her perfect opponent is Mercedes Varnado", and i just dont see someone like that currently employed by AEW.  Although, i dont believe her streak should be snapped by a WWE castoff. 

Miro returns to beat Orange Cassidy?  Hm.

Final Battle saved by FTR/Briscoes III, but why do i feel like this is the beginning of the end for FTR in AEW, and they are following Willy Reegs?

Acclaimed should NOT have lost, but FTR needed the win to cement their year.  Their loss told me a lot, unfortunately.

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Acclaimed should NOT have lost, but FTR needed the win to cement their year.  

May I ask why? Especially when they’re poised to add another jewel to the crown in three days?

There seemed to be a moment on the table when plans had to pivot to the Bucks from the Hardys, but it’s passed. FTR’s reputation isn’t enhanced by another set of belts, while Acclaimed would have flash-in-the-pan stink if they drop to another allegedly more important babyface team. This was the right result if they were booking this match right now. We agree on Acclaimed not losing at the very least.

• Like 4

I’m not a huge Sasha Banks fan, but she’s definitely the polar opposite of a “WWE cast off”. And she’s also way above the TBS title. If they signed her, and that’s a huge if, then she automatically goes into the Women’s World title picture. Would easily be the most recognizable name/person in that division if it happens, too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I And boo to AEW for having FTR lose to The Acclaimed. FTR is their tag team linchpin but nope let them hold every other tag title but the AEW tag titles and they'll not renew their contracts. Good job Tony Khan.

I'm as pro-FTR as you can be and I totally disagree.   With the sentiment going around that The Acclaimed should've been a team that FTR just rolled over, I think Bowens and Castor needed to have a significant win against a worthy adversary to show that deserve to be in the current top tag teams discussion. 

That being said, I am not sure why you announce FTR vs. Briscoes for the RoH tag titles in a double -dog collar match at Final Battle when you should be allowing Max and Anthony to celebrate their hard-fought victory over arguably the best tag-team on earth.

I also don't understand why the Ass Boys are the messengers when it is so much better when the Briscoes issue their own profanity laden challenges on YouTube.

They ain't ready... - The Briscoe Brothers - YouTube

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I’m not a huge Sasha Banks fan, but she’s definitely the polar opposite of a “WWE cast off”. And she’s also way above the TBS title. If they signed her, and that’s a huge if, then she automatically goes into the Women’s World title picture. Would easily be the most recognizable name/person in that division if it happens, too.

This is something I bring up while watching AEW with other people and it's gonna sound a little uncouth asking it here but I trust this board to be a place of sensible discussion. I think if Sasha signs she should be the one to take the belt off Jade immediately. Possibly in her debut match. And the main point of that argument is that Sasha is a star and has the sort of credibility that won't hurt Jade and it'll generate headlines and interest and clicks and all of that. But there's another layer to it that I wonder about.

If Kris Stadtlander beats Jade Cargill for the TBS Championship, and this is meant to be a move that rockets Kris up the babyface ranks, will there be resentment from AEW's black fanbase? Plenty of good TV has been made out of black AEW talent enjoying working with and elevating each other (Starks/Hobbes vs. StrickLee vs. Acclaimed comes to mind) and Jade's reign absolutely fits that bill, particularly when you factor in feuds vs. one-off defenses. Jade's reign has a particular cultural feeling to it that maybe wouldn't serve a white babyface well to end? Not saying that the TBS belt should be booked as "The Black Belt" but there's a context that Jade's eight-outta-fifteen defenses vs. non-white talent might be worth respecting. 

ugh i feel like an anxious millennial cowboy bill watts for even trying to analyze this

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

Hnfy0rX.md.jpg

So.....I was going to come here and make a lengthy post about how the death of the BCC was basically akin to the BCC becoming AEW's Nexus: a stable filled with amazing people, doing amazing things, but not living up to it's true potential, and dying before it's time even arrived, and then that video with Regal comes out....and I have mixed emotions. I'm sad, but I want to know more, and I'm genuinely curious as to how they're going to proceed with it.

Otherwise, that was a fairly amazing episode of Dynamite. MJF/Starks was great, "You come out here smelling like paint thinner and ass", really excited that The Captain got a little push, loved "JAKE HAGER and His Hat", loved the callback to Claudio and the beach ball, "Ted Cruz hates to scissor", etc.

• Like 5

Darby's performance vs. Joe was the most insanely self-destructive bumping performance in a non-gimmick match since Foley in the 90s. Not exactly the type of match that's gonna get a lot of looks for MOTY, but one you find yourself watching over and over nevertheless.

Overall, this show was great, and reminded us why we watch AEW. Much better promo from MJF this week who was a dick, but set up Ricky to knock it out of the park. Jungle Boy's apron bump gets a shout even if it was washed away by the aforementioned Darby match. BCC vs. JAS was a solid tag match, and I'll give TK some credit for his effort to salvage the Regal storyline mess. Not sure it fully worked, but certainly a creative attempt. Main event was good and put the Acclaimed over while leaving FTR strong enough for the immediate transition to what should be an all-timer at Final Battle.

• Like 3

Regal's nonsensical retconned promo was SOOOO close to being "I have to go now, my planet needs me, sunshine" followed by a handwritten note that he died on his way back to WWE that they really just should have done that. "When Maxwell pushed Tony Schiavone, I was so upset that I helped make him world champion because it's hard to be the champ and the BCC need to learn one last lesson from me to never turn your back and I will immediately follow this up by literally turning my back on the very someone who I'm trying to screw over..." They could just as easily have had Regal self-record a video where he says MJF offered him more money than he could realistically ever turn down but now he can't look himself in the mirror after selling out people who were like family to him and that it would be a long time before you'd see William Regal, if ever again. 

Starks promo was amazing. I was worried they were going to go the familiar route (especially in WWE) of MJF trashing Starks, only for Starks not even getting to stand up for himself but he did and it was glorious. MJF was weaksauce, though. "The Pebble"?! That's like something a disapproving dad would say about you watching wrestling: "He calls himself The Rock? More like the Pebble! The Undertaker? More like The Overfaker!" Fully expect after he defeats Starks, MJF will target The Acclaimed: "Rap music? More like crap music!"

Joe-Allin was extraordinarily good. I liked it better than the main honestly...but then again I'm like the only guy in the world who really doesn't like FTR. Joe's walk away from a tope spot may never be topped by tonight's edition with Allin skidding on concrete.

I was thinking tonight that the funniest result in the world would be Saraya ending Jade's streak and taking her title. Would love to see the online reactions after that.

Britt's challenge to Saraya made no sense: "Good luck finding a partner...no one will team with you?" After several weeks of Saraya accompanying Toni Storm to the ring, after her introductory promo where she brought out all the face females and complimented them, even her debut was saving the faces from Britt and co. Clearly she has a lot of friends in AEW, so why would this be such a tough challenge: "Good luck finding a partner, popular girl!" If they had reversed it with Saraya offering up the challenge to Britt and Hayter with "I've got a surprise partner for you!" it would make so much more sense.

I enjoyed when Taz went "Skye Blue and Red Velvet, they're both named after colours" (ignoring that there was a THIRD wrestler in there with a colour in her name!) to no reaction followed by his explanation of football to Excalibur to even less of a reaction (I suspect both Tony and Excalibur were laughing and on mute). I can't believe what fantastic change it was to put Tazz in the booth and remove JR. It's night and day, really. You might lose that mainstream cache of JR being in there, but all three genuinely sound like they're having a good time and enjoying calling the show. Makes a huge difference. I never really cared for Tazz' announcing prior to AEW but he's incredible now, straddling the line between PBP and explaining moves, playing the heel commentator and also just cracking jokes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, caley said:

They could just as easily have had Regal self-record a video where he says MJF offered him more money than he could realistically ever turn down but now he can't look himself in the mirror after selling out people who were like family to him and that it would be a long time before you'd see William Regal, if ever again.

This wouldn't really make much sense as there's no precedence regarding Regal being motivated by money. It would be out of character. I liked that the interview was a little ambiguous, as it could lead to different outcomes.

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

Last thing: Austin crowd did me proud, incredibly hot all night and no embarrassing signs.

Spoiler

During the Acclaimed entrance they lingered a little too long on a "Ted Cruz fears scissors" sign.  Not cool whoever made that sign.

Ass Boys reveal Dem Boys FTR III @ Final Battle?  Sure, why not!  It's not a one match show by any means, but nothing felt must see.  That match alone sells it.  I won't be ordering it, but now I feel like I'll be missing out.  By necessity or not they've kept the indy dream match feel alive with the Briscoes.

I wanted FTR to win but no complaints about the way the match went.  I need to watch it again without PIP but there was some good back and forth and just enough heelishness from FTR to tease them going further in the rematch.  I still want them to get all the belts sooner than later but I have no idea how NJPW and AAA feel about having semi-absentee champions for so long.  I also can't wait for Dax and Cash to kick the shit out of Billy Gunn and cut a promo on how shitty his half dozen tag teams were

Are we okay with people kicking out of spike piledrivers?  I know it's 2022 but that should still be a tag team death move

I wasn't really feeling Starks and MJF before tonight, the tournament field wasn't as impressive as years past, but they did a great job making Starks look like a star from the entrance to the match to the promo.  The breakup/feud with Hobbs didn't really work for whatever reason, probably because they were such a great pairing and nobody wanted to see them feud.  Feels like he's back on track now.  Having other young and hungry "homegrown" peers like Starks, Jungle Boy and Darby as opponents is going to do wonders for MJF's title run.  Crowd was super hot for this.  AEW Originals all the way!

Darby and Joe are perfect opponents, that match was hella fun.  No offense to Mr. Mayhem or Mr. Juice but I want to see Rd. 2.  Actually, that might be a really fun fatal 4 way...

Really fun show that breezed by and did a good job building to 4 upcoming shows at the same time (Rampage, ROH, Winter is Coming, 1/11 LA Dynamite), and also showed the depth of the roster (no Jericho, Danielson or Elite/Death Triangle aside from video packages).  Things are heating up and it feels like they're hitting a groove again at just the right time

• Like 6

I love Starks as a heel but damn he has some awesome dickhead babyface fire going on. I feel he destroyed Maxi Pad on the mic today and even though he's losing the match I hope they dont knock him down the card too much because this guy a star.

• Like 6

I’d be all for Danielson giving Starks the brass knuckles to knock MJF out and win the belt. That feud doesn’t need the belt, especially since Danielson has said he doesn’t want it. 

Also, I think MJF is the only person that kind of comeuppance can be given to without it seeming like a heel move from the babyface. 

Edited by RefMattyD570
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:
  Reveal hidden contents

During the Acclaimed entrance they lingered a little too long on a "Ted Cruz fears scissors" sign.  Not cool whoever made that sign.

Spoiler

If anything, they should have shown it longer. Albeit we don't want to give Fled Cruz more TV time, but he deserves a lot worse. Give whomever made that sign an award.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If anything, they should have shown it longer. Albeit we don't want to give Fled Cruz more TV time, but he deserves a lot worse. Give whomever made that sign an award.

Spoiler

His 14 yr old daughter just attempted suicide via sharp object.  I'm going to assume you were not aware of this.  The asshole who made the sign clearly was.  Fuck that.

• Sad 1