DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/7/2022

The Natural

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just gonna have to say it... on the Discord @AxB called it a "double sex collar match" and you can only imagine the slash fic and, as @John from Cincinnati said, the "MJF/Punk fan art treatment". 😆 It takes only one slip of the finger, obvious... oh shit

"FTR edged the Briscoes..."

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Basically the only Takeshita match I liked in 2022 was the first Mox match.

My first thought: son of a bitch, I knew I would regret not taking the financial hit and going to the show.

My second thought: Matt D liked that match because Mox can control Takeshita’s excesses.

• Like 2

Holy fucking shit. What a Dynamite. Everyone was playing “hold my beer.” Starks’ promo was out of this world star making god. Then that gets topped by Darby vs Joe which I’d give 11 stars to. And then somehow the main event topped that. And if that wasn’t enough, after the main event we get the announcement of FTR vs Dem Boys 3: Double Dog Collar Match?!?! Are you fucking kidding me?

Yeah. AEW rules the whole motherfucking world. 

• Like 10

Personally don't care. I love both men's excesses in the ring. I think if we just push the gas pedal on both sides we're gonna get something great. If I'm gonna steal a page from Matt I'd say maybe... Hansen/Kobashi? (Wishful thinking, I know.)

And look at that stacked-ass ROH card, huh? Tony clearly wants us to buy that thing. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just gonna have to say it... on the Discord @AxB called it a "double sex collar match" and you can only imagine the slash fic and, as @John from Cincinnati said, the "MJF/Punk fan art treatment". 😆 It takes only one slip of the finger, obvious... oh shit

I just checked the person's Twitter  that did that for Punk/MJF.  And while there's nothing yet let's just say she's pretty damn excited.

As for the show I need a long feud between Joe and Darby.  That was violent but so damn good, folks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Tony "Integrity" Schiavone knew Regal was going to turn on Mox and didn't say shit. 

The interview referenced the events of Full Gear, so in-story it was taped after Regal had already turned on Mox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm only half-joking, but at this point they've written Regal out of the show three times and they have him till the end of the year. Gotta do it a fourth time with Danielson, right?

Tony reads yadda yadda.

That was a fun two hours of professional wrestling. 

I was about to write off Ricky Starks. He was cool as hell in Team Taz and there were a few people who accurately pointed out he should have had Adam Cole’s cool heel spot. The whole turn and then feud against Powerhouse made him look like a nerd. I thought for sure he was just going to tread water but that promo 180’d him. He looked like he did a few months ago - the coolest motherf’er alive throwing straight fire MJF’s way. I know MJF is winning but I want to see those guys feud on and off for years. 

Jamie Hayter also comes off in a similar way. Not in a “coolest mofo” way, but she is just a shit-talking badass and who does not want that? 

Joe versus Darby was great. I laughed many times at Joe’s dickhead bully stuff throughout. Him cooly walking away when Darby spilled to the floor was everything. Loved it.

That main event was great. The Acclaimed are awesome when they are in a really well laid out match. The first one against SITG was one of the best matches of the year. The rematches had diminishing returns. But FTR know how to do tag wrestling and their subtle heel work let The Acclaimed lean into their act and it ruled. This really makes me want to see them run it back with with a full fledged heel FTR ramming Bowens’s wrist in a car door a few times in the parking lot before the show.

Great night.

• Like 8

Battle Royale was a foregone conclusion and not good even by battle royale standards, but I guess it set up/carried on some low and mid-card feuds and I love Dalton Castle and The Boys. I want a Butcher-Dustin match please.

MJF is at least not trying for cool heel or tweeter heat anymore, so there’s that. He does his usual schtick minus the bidding war but with shooty comments and WWE references. Then Starks FUCKING BURIES HIM with nothing but the truth, delivered with heart and passion. Too bad he’s going to lose, but hopefully he will get his turn at the top soon.

Mox is always great. Mox vs Takeshita is going to be amazing and I was  really really sad for 10 minutes after it was announced because I want to be there live for that more than almost any potential match.

Darby is going to be in a wheelchair by age 40 taking some of these ridiculous bumps. And I’m a sicko because I mark for it. He’s such a fantastic rag doll, which made Joe look even more violent and scary than usual. But that skateboard bump could easily have gone horribly horribly wrong and I think it’s luck as much as anything that it didn’t.

Hayter-Shida will be good.

I liked the BCC-JAS tag team match, yeah Jake was the weak link but he was not as weak a link as he was a few months ago, and Yuta-Garcia always are fun together. Danny sells a big back bump like Rick Rude sold an atomic drop. Good finish, but guess JAS retain at PPV.

Glad to see that Jade got to get her heat back and look like a monster since they’ve been making her look so weak recently 🙄. Way to kill Hogan as a challenger immediately. At least Skye Blue got some good TV time and looked great working with Red Velvet.

Already way over Britt-Saraya.

Main event was fantastic, great action, great build, great story with FTR slowly working heel to get an edge, liked the flash finish. Caster was relatively kind with his disses on FTR in the rap, which was a nice touch with the ostensible face v face matchup. Jeff Jarrett can fuck off. But nice match reveal at the very end. Will I buy the PPV? No, gotta save money. Will I regret it? Yes.

Last thing: Austin crowd did me proud, incredibly hot all night and no embarrassing signs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That... thing Joe did to Darby on the apron is one of the meanest things I've ever seen. As said in the chat, Darby is going to live with arthritis forever.

I was WRONG! I was thinking of that bump that Giant Edge made somebody in the battle royale take. Whoever that was, kudos, I'll see you in gif form here in an hour, and I hope you are still alive.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was WRONG! I was thinking of that bump that Giant Edge made somebody in the battle royale tag take. Whoever that was, kudos, I'll see you in gif form here in an hour, and I hope you are still alive.

Jungle Boy Jack, it was really nasty looking and not sure it didn’t shake JP up. Darby took some nasty bumps as well but they were all by choice, even if he fucked up a little on the dive to nowhere.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I just checked the person's Twitter  that did that for Punk/MJF.  And while there's nothing yet let's just say she's pretty damn excited.

As for the show I need a long feud between Joe and Darby.  That was violent but so damn good, folks.

They should run Joe vs Darby Best of Seven but, like , one match every six weeks or so to give Darby time to recover.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I saw Ricky Starks' promo on YouTube and honestly...if MJF walks away with the title again cleanly, then AEW will have lost me even more. The best finish for that would be to have MJF intentionally get himself DQ'ed or just walk out of the ring with the title and get counted out. Starks completely exposed MJF on the mic.

And boo to AEW for having FTR lose to The Acclaimed. FTR is their tag team linchpin but nope let them hold every other tag title but the AEW tag titles and they'll not renew their contracts. Good job Tony Khan.

• Like 3

They've made it so obvious MJF is winning that I'm starting to think he might lose. Narratively, having him lose the title on his first defence after all that yammering about holding it into 2024 would be a great comeuppance for the character. I want to see it happen, even though I don't think Ricky Starks is ready to be world champ yet.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

They've made it so obvious MJF is winning that I'm starting to think he might lose. Narratively, having him lose the title on his first defence after all that yammering about holding it into 2024 would be a great comeuppance for the character. I want to see it happen, even though I don't think Ricky Starks is ready to be world champ yet.

We’re going to get chickenshit heel champ cheating/taking DQs/ducking matches to hold the belt for a while, unfortunately. Starks is going to hit the spear, go for a second, Max will pull the ref in the way and use the ring to win.

Excellent show! Absolutely star making work from Ricky Starks tonight, loved it. Perfect setting for him to do it in Austin. Added so much to next week's match and while MJF will obviously retain, I too want to see these two have an on-off years long rivalry now. The crowd loving Dalton Castle avoiding elimination was the highlight of the battle royal otherwise.

Darby/Joe was awesome. Great chemistry, great finish. 

BCC/JAS tag was solid, finish was a bit sudden and out of nowhere. As much as I was not a fan of the whole Regal turns on Moxley just for MJF to turn right on him anyway, I actually loved the attempt at explaining things done here tonight. Totally down with the storytelling of the three brothers finding one last video message from their father who was killed last week. Felt like a more proper writing off/sendoff for Regal.

Enjoyed the Baddies tag, but not sure about what seemed like subtle dissension between Jade & Red at the end there, I like them together. From what I recall, Thunder Rosa said in late October that she was "aiming for January" in regards to her return, so that'd be my guess for Saraya's partner. 

Really good main event. Shocked it had a clean finish with the Acclaimed going over like that but it did a great job in putting them over. Popped huge for the post-match reveal for Final Battle, that was unexpected, super hyped. Loved the creative way of going about it since the Briscoes couldn't actually appear. Curious to see what gets added to Zero Hour.

Tony talked about putting big focus back on Rampage and now we get Moxley/Takeshita there, hell yeah. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

And boo to AEW for having FTR lose to The Acclaimed. FTR is their tag team linchpin but nope let them hold every other tag title but the AEW tag titles and they'll not renew their contracts. Good job Tony Khan.

Dropped the ball big time not having FTR beat Jurassic Express back in May. Should've been a four belt summer.

• Like 3

I love how in the Starks’ promo he started on the far corner of the ring mocking MJF, but as he progressively got more intense and confrontational he slowly made his way over to him. Forcing us as viewers closer to both visually and figuratively what was being said. Subtle and well done blocking. 

• Like 19