DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/7/2022

The Natural

Get this money talk out of the fucking Dynamite thread.

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

But if you think you have only five years (or less) physically, and maybe want to transition into a career as an agent or a NXT coach (which I am guessing comes along with health insurance and a retirement plan and etc.)... what choice are you going to make? And that even goes beyond the usual "my boss sucks" frustrations. 

Impact. All of the WWE's coaches (and some of AEW's) are from Impact.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, porksweats said:

I don't think they're unhappy with him at all, there has been zero rumblings of WarnerDiscovery feeling anything but positive.

Warner Bros. Discovery said "no" to the Briscoes appearing on their networks, so Tony signed them to ROH in spite of their edict

Dixie Carter rehiring Vince Russo behind Spike TV's back is a big reason why they cancelled Impact - why continue working with someone you can't trust?

Edited by Dolphman 3000

46 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Warner Bros. Discovery said "no" to the Briscoes appearing on their networks, so Tony signed them to ROH in spite of their edict

Dixie Carter rehiring Vince Russo behind Spike TV's back is a big reason why they cancelled Impact - why continue working with someone you can't trust?

Can't tell if serious.

Dixie being told Spike didn't want to work with Russo then hiring Russo and lying to the network about it is NOT the same as Tony being told WBD don't want performers on their TV, and very publicly giving them a job where they.... aren't appearing on WBD TV.

He signed them to ROH & has made them PPV only. He's not hiding anything. He's not being deceitful. He isn't lying to them. He is abiding by their ask.

You are doing some real fancy mental gymnastics to make this confirm to your bias.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Dog said:

Please don't start the "Tony Khan hired Vince Russo" rumor.

Tony Khan didn't hire Vince Russo. He stole Steve Austin's time machine to go back in time and create Vince Russo, so he would destroy WCW and create an opening for a new number two wrestling promotion.

It's obvious once you see it.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Tony Khan didn't hire Vince Russo. He stole Steve Austin's time machine to go back in time and create Vince Russo, so he would destroy WCW and create an opening for a new number two wrestling promotion.

milhouse-looking-glass.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My prediction is FTR go heel and win the titles.  Might explain Dax and Bryan happening out of nowhere last week.  And it seemed like the plan was always for them to have all the titles but Acclaimed getting so over and some other stuff got in the way.  Makes sense to put the belts on them before they start dropping the other titles.  I'd expect them to lose the IWGP at Wrestle Kingdom

I'd love to see Darby win the TNT title, but then again I also think he should be the guy to beat MJF down the line.  Feels like he's been criminally underused over the last year

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

It's obvious once you see it.

Goddamn! It makes sense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

AEW is structured as an LLC that Tony can walk away from if it goes tits up, as opposed to ROH which he personally owns

Warner Bros. Discovery can't be happy that he's using their TV time to promote his pet project that they never signed up for

Didn't WBD ask for more PPVs?

Anyway fire promo from MOX this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTp4ix93tFM&ab_channel=AllEliteWrestling

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

My prediction is FTR go heel and win the titles.  Might explain Dax and Bryan happening out of nowhere last week.  And it seemed like the plan was always for them to have all the titles but Acclaimed getting so over and some other stuff got in the way.  Makes sense to put the belts on them before they start dropping the other titles.  I'd expect them to lose the IWGP at Wrestle Kingdom

I'd love to see Darby win the TNT title, but then again I also think he should be the guy to beat MJF down the line.  Feels like he's been criminally underused over the last year

While FTR is always great in-ring, I do prefer them as heels to the "aw, shucks" faces they've been lately. Plus, aren't great worker tag teams more fun when they're heels?

• Like 4

On one hand The Acclaimed are hot as fuck right now and I'd like to see them get a decently long title reign. On the other hand, I love FTR and it feels like them winning the belts is something that should have long since happened. I also think The Acclaimed might be over enough that they don't need the titles. Their music hitting with the knowledge you're going to get one of Caster's raps is getting some of the biggest pops in the company right now.

• Like 1

If FTR does not win all of the gold tonight, I will probably smash my television set.   If they turn heel and feud with The Acclaimed for a couple of months, all the better.  The Acclaimed do not need a championship to be over and there is probably a great story to be made out of their quest for vengeance to reclaim their belts from the villainous FTR.

I would love for AEW to make a big deal about Darby having MJF's number in the past and setting Allin up as the #1 Contender for the AEW title after MJF screws Darby out of a win over Joe in the main tonight just to show what a gigantic douchebag he is.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

I don't see them going 60 with everything else going on the show.

My prediction is someone screws FTR with Acclaimed not seeing it, or both teams get attacked.

They can do a 30 minute draw. There's a real danger in screwing FTR again after they just did so against the SITG match a month or two ago. Especially if it's the Kingdom to set up a match on Saturday. Fans will hate that live.

Now, I mean, if it's the Briscoes doing it, the fans are going to respond to that completely differently.

Also @J.T.I appreciate your passion here, but the path of least resistance is that tonight is a way to set up a PPV match for FTR on Saturday. Take a beat. Breathe.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Would Acclaimed over clean be the outcome that results in the most amusing takes? I think so. Let's go Acclaimed. 

Yes. You'll hear my wailing across the pond like *SPOILER WARNING*

Spoiler

Superman's death cries by Doomsday in Zack Snyder's Justice League.

TK from the Media call:

The person I’m releasing later this month, who is still with us through the holiday, has been an essential part of major TV stories and is still an essential part of the TV as of tonight. 

Certainly this could just be his reference in the MJF-Danielson build, but it sure would be nice to get one more promo from his Lordship.

• Like 3

The Acclaimed should be treated like Super-Cena and run through those super-indy marks for the business like a knife through butter, or like the Smoking Gunns going over the Heavenly Bodies to think of what Gorilla said on commentary once.

Edited by SprintingFromAmerica
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

If FTR does not win all of the gold tonight, I will probably smash my television set.   If they turn heel and feud with The Acclaimed for a couple of months, all the better.  The Acclaimed do not need a championship to be over and there is probably a great story to be made out of their quest for vengeance to reclaim their belts from the villainous FTR.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yes. You'll hear my wailing across the pond like *SPOILER WARNING*

Reveal hidden contents

Superman's death cries by Doomsday in Zack Snyder's Justice League.

Fuckity fucking fuck.

Allright!  Bring on the Professional Wrestling!  Ricky Starks!  ALLRIGHT!  A BATTLE ROYALE!  I HATE THEM ALMOST AS MUCH AS TRIPLE THREATS!  What a week!  DUSTIN RHODES!  DALTON CASTLE AND THE BOYS!  Oh man, I hate these things.  What do I know.  Dalton Castle making fart noises on Matt Hardy's tummy is the highlight so far!  Orange Cassidy tells a little story with Kip Sabien.  Dalton Castle is your Battle Royals superstar!  Oh!  And Brian Cage is finally too much for him.  My heart is broken.  I'm GUESSING that Matt Hardy eliminates Ethan Page.  Captain Shawn Dean winning would be the Vince Russo finish we are all waiting for.  GNARLY Chokeslam on Jack Perry by Big Bill!  I really don't care. but why isn't W Morrisey in this?  Ricky Starks is your winner!  MJF hits the ring immediately!  Bryan Danielson versus MJF will be good.  Ricky heated that baby up.  That was great.  Starks is so not winning, but he heated that up.  Darby Allin is going to take an ass beating.  Allin is good at those things and Joe is a Proto-Brodie King.  Allin TOPES TO NOWHERE!  Samoa Joe is dancing with Allin into the barricade and into the side of the ring.  Oh man, POWERSLAM on the CONCRETE!  Joe heels it up during the picture in picture.  We come out of it and Allin bumps HUGE against the ring post!  COFFIN DROP on the floor!  CODE RED!  FOR TWO!  Uranagi by Joe!  Allin goes for the Coffin Drop but he falls right into Joe's Rear Naked Choke!  Allin is fucking great at making the DEATH VISAGE while passing out!  Postmatch, WARDLOW doesn't save Darby from the Muscle Buster on the skateboard!  BCC vs JAS!  Wheeler Yuta is OVER in Austin.  Daniel Garcia and Yuta are magic in the ring together.  Hagar is our SECRET WRESTLING MACHINE!  Yuta assumes the Ricky Morton role.  NASTY Superplex by Yuta onto Garcia!  Hagar is great as a Southern heel, cutting off the ring and beating the crap out of Wheeler Yuta.  Neato German Suplex by Yuta as he fights for the tag!  Giant Swing!  Lariat FOR TWO!  COMPLEX DOUBLE SUBMISSION INTO A ROOL UP FOR THE WIN BY CLAUDIO!  Regal makes his swan song.  This is a big night of wrestling.  It's Jade Cargill!  And Red Velvet and Leila Grey!  Against Madison Rayne, Skye Blue and Keira Hogan! It's good to see Red Velvet again.  Skye Blue and Red Velvet are good on the mat!  Leila Grey sets up Skye's kick on the mat really well. Skye assumes the Ricky Morton role as we head to picture in picture.  Grey grabs a headlock for the entire commercial break so this match suddenly RULES.  Red Velvet tags in to give up the hot tag!  Hogan is awesome as our Robert Gibson, beating on Cargill!  Cargill cuts her off but she has another comeback!  Cargill CRUSHES Madison Rayne with the Jaded!  That was good.  YAY! RED VELVET!  I like how Cargill had an aura of being a force of nature even while selling.  Hayter/ Baker versus Saraya and somebody sounds like fun.  JON MOXLEY vs KONOSUKE TAKESHITA, THE REMATCH, makes one assume that THERE WILL BLOOD!  FTR! FTR! FTR!  Well, THIS will be good.  JESUS, AUSTIN IS MOLTEN!  Oh man, they are doing the Briscoes match.   FTR needs to completely wrestle heel.  DOUBLE SHARPSHOOTERS by the Acclaimed!  Oh man, FTR are sooo fucking great.  Oh man, I cannot WAIT to see the International Feed of this.  Max Caster is taking an ass beating.  Cash Wheeler sinks in a Chinlock as this match cannot possibly get any greater.  Anthony Bowen is awesome as a house afire.  FTR make him look like one hiundred million dollars.  GREAT FUCKING SPIKE PILEDRIVER!  Fun nearfalls!  GREAT NEARFALL ON THE BIG RIG!  MAx misses the Mic Drop!  LARIAT OF THE YEAR BY CASH WHEELER!  Max rolls through the Powerbomb and GETS THE PIN!  That was fucking great.  That was the fourth best FTR match this year, behind the Briscoes two and the Aussie Open match. JESUS FUDGE!  FTR vs the Briscoes in a Dog Collar Match?  I gotta buy this fucking PPV.  Jesus, AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING FUCKING WORLD! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

So of all the mini-pushes where someone new is tested out as a big TV challenger for the world title... has anyone captured that moment more than Ricky Starks did tonight? That was a bigtime passionate promo that took no shit from MJF and got the people exceptionally invested in the issue. It's the promo we've all thought Starks had in him if he got the ball. He may have talked himself up a tier through sheer force of will and charisma. That was a PPV-level sales pitch, not a TV sales pitch. 

Speaking of PPV-level pitches, what a show close. It's been clear that there's not much of a hook for the ROH show in spite of it having a very good card. Tony has one trick to move ROH PPVs, but it's a pretty great trick. 

Darby mostly works best when he has a big guy he can be the heavy underdog for and toss his body around with abandon. Joe's best these days when someone else can really bring the speed to compliment his all-time swag. This might be the best thing they've done all year, both guys. Bring on the coffin match and pray for Darby.

Good show.

• Like 13