DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/7/2022

The Natural

FjBihRUXwAATa55?format=png&name=900x900

It's #FTR's time to hold the AEW World Tag Team Championship, IWGP World Tag Team Championship, ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA World Tag Team Championship. I just think it should have been #FTR beating the Bucks for them in the rubber match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

FjBihRUXwAATa55?format=png&name=900x900

It's #FTR's time to hold the AEW World Tag Team Championship, IWGP World Tag Team Championship, ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA World Tag Team Championship. I just think it should have been #FTR beating the Bucks for them in the rubber match.

Think the finish will be heel interference costing The Acclaimed the titles but with FTR not seeing it so they don't end up heels. This is a real tricky one because The Acclaimed are hot right now and while FTR getting the titles is the right call you don't want to cut off a hot act on the rise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I say they go to a time limit draw and then run it back at Final Battle.

I think the answer is to go to a time limit draw, have FTR's Final Battle opponents (Ass Boys or Kingdom) attack AFTER the time limit is over, have FTR and Acclaimed vow to fight again soon, and then run it back at Revolution if FTR sign extensions. The problem is that you don't want either team to lose (yet).

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think the answer is to go to a time limit draw, have FTR's Final Battle opponents (Ass Boys or Kingdom) attack AFTER the time limit is over, have FTR and Acclaimed vow to fight again soon, and then run it back at Revolution if FTR sign extensions. The problem is that you don't want either team to lose (yet).

I'd rather it be the Kingdom who attack if only for the potential Kingdom/Acclaimed match up that could come down the line, but it's more than likely it'll be the Sons Of Gunn

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Either that or do a live Battle of the Belts and have FTR vs Acclaimed main event that. It would be the first BotB that anyone would give a shit about.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Either that or do a live Battle of the Belts and have FTR vs Acclaimed main event that. It would be the first BotB that anyone would give a shit about.

There is a BOTB coming up in January for the Portland debut.

• Like 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that FTR aren't leaving. Dax is more outspoken than most and the dude is pretty beaten up, but Dax and Cash have also had a lot of time off. And as nice as it may be that HHH is running the book at WWE, it's not like tag team stuff is any more important than the women's division. This may be hot take-ish, but the tag division in WWE is booked pretty similarly to the women's division in AEW. The main storyline that ever matters is around the current champions. Plus, I doubt FTR are going to be allowed to have the freedom they currently have in AEW.

The better move for them would be to stay in AEW and have the freedom to work everywhere and be a focal point of the backbone of AEW, which is tag team wrestling. 

Honestly, the biggest question mark to me that's going to matter to FTR is what happens with Punk. They sound like they have pretty strong loyalties with Punk and if Punk is somehow allowed to jump then maybe FTR follows. That or maybe Dax and Cash decide to go their separate ways and pursue singles careers. Dax has certainly been testing the singles wrestling waters for awhile now and maybe he's starting to feel more and more that he wants to pursue a run without Cash.

• Like 1

So here is something in the ether that I can guarantee you a lot of wrestlers are thinking about:

1) There's a giant shift going on right now in media and TV and streaming services. It's a huge unknown.

2) AEW doesn't have anything locked up long-term in terms of a TV deal. 

3) Tony has spent a hell of a lot of money obtaining talent. That means there are a lot of expenses being paid.

4) The WWE is a gigantic publicly traded company. It's not going anywhere. Can anyone legitimately say the same about AEW?

If you were a wrestler and you only have one or two long-term contracts left -- who would you want to hitch your wagon to if you had the chance?

Obviously, there are plenty of reasons to stay with AEW. Maybe you're already set financially and have a better platform. Maybe you don't want to be a part of the WWE machine and would like more control over your schedule and life and etc. Maybe you like Tony and a bunch of the guys you came up with in the indies who were the groomsmen at your wedding. Etc.

But if you think you have only five years (or less) physically, and maybe want to transition into a career as an agent or a NXT coach (which I am guessing comes along with health insurance and a retirement plan and etc.)... what choice are you going to make? And that even goes beyond the usual "my boss sucks" frustrations. 

• Like 2

I can definitely see older guys wanting to end in WWE.

Not to get too much like that OTHER thread, though, but AEW is still going to get a huge rights increase on their next deal, unless the ratings fail to stabilize. Precedent would have predicted a 3-4 times increase based on their current deal vs. the numbers they pull, but maybe now it's only 2.5 times or something. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

4) The WWE is a gigantic publicly traded company. It's not going anywhere. Can anyone legitimately say the same about AEW?

The Khan's net worth is currently... $11.8 BILLION according to Google.

AEW is going nowhere. This is TK's passion and even if they lost TV and were losing money hand over fist he'd be fine paying for it forever and creating his own streaming service to distribute it. That's not how he's running it. He's running it like a legitimate business and trying to make money with it. But a publicly traded company is on way shakier ground than legitimate billionaires. WWE is always one really bad Saudi incident away from their stock tanking. They are in bed with some pretty unsavory stuff even if they have thus far kept it light and positive.

All this doom and gloom or pontificatating that WWE is on so much more stable ground is a bit misguided to me. The truth is neither one of them are going anywhere. A talent would be better off decideding where they want to be based on how often they'd like to wrestle. In AEW you won't eclipse 25-30 TV matches in a year most likely. In WWE you'll be hitting 50-60 TV matches a year. Do you prefer visibility and TV time, regardless of the importance presented on it, or do you prefer less is more and preserving your body?

Neither choice is right. Neither choice is wrong. It's a preference thing. And that should be what talent base their decision on, not internet sleuths perusing the finances of billionaires lol.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

AEW is going nowhere.

AEW is structured as an LLC that Tony can walk away from if it goes tits up, as opposed to ROH which he personally owns

Warner Bros. Discovery can't be happy that he's using their TV time to promote his pet project that they never signed up for

Edited by Dolphman 3000

14 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

AEW is structured as an LLC that Tony can walk away from if it goes tits up, as opposed to ROH which he personally owns

Warner Bros. Discovery can't be happy that he's using their TV time to promote his pet project that they never signed up for

I don't think they're unhappy with him at all, there has been zero rumblings of WarnerDiscovery feeling anything but positive.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Is this a gimmick? Cause your laying it on a bit too thick if so.. 😵💫

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I don't see them going 60 with everything else going on the show.

My prediction is someone screws FTR with Acclaimed not seeing it, or both teams get attacked.

Edited by Jenalysis

55 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is TK's passion and even if they lost TV and were losing money hand over fist he'd be fine paying for it forever and creating his own streaming service to distribute it.

I don't know about that. If that's true, he's no better than all the other money marks that have come and gone. Maybe that's the case, but not knuckling to Cody and letting at least some contracts expire make me think if this thing isn't profitable after 5 years, he'll be wishing the Bucks good luck in Japan and getting back to football and futbol. I think the Khan family likes being rich more than Tony likes wrestling (keep in mind his dad is part-owner of AEW).

Edited by Dog

It depends how much AEW is losing.  If it's breaking even or only losing like 1 mil/year, that's pocket change to the Khans.  AEW might do some cost-cutting, but it will stay around.  I do think we're going to see a bunch of AEW talents not renewed in a year or two, which might help the bottom line some.  (and some indie talents signed)

I think Fight forever is going to matter a lot- if that game does well, AEW will continue as usual.  If it doesn't (and my gut feeling is that it's not going to do that well) then AEW might have some issues.

• Like 1

AEW was never expected to be profitable until 2024 or so. Supposedly, any money they did make in the past few years was reinvested in either the company or the game. What will tell the story going forward are the TV rights fees.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I don't know about that. If that's true, he's no better than all the other money marks that have come and gone. Maybe that's the case, but not knuckling to Cody and letting at least some contracts expire make me think if this thing isn't profitable after 5 years, he'll be wishing the Bucks good luck in Japan and getting back to football and futbol. I think the Khan family likes being rich more than Tony likes wrestling (keep in mind his dad is part-owner of AEW).

I don't agree. Tony is all in. $1 is to $100 as $100 million is to a $1 billion. If I had $100 and lost $1 doing something I genuinely loved, I wouldn't bat an eye. TK can lose $100 million a year and not bat an eye because that's equivalent to $1 compared to his personal wealth.

I get what you're saying, he's not running it like a money mark. He's making decisions based on budgets and not just jizzing out money everywhere. I'm on board with that. My point is just that, while he's always going to try and turn a profit with it because he has a business and sports background, he's not at all adverse to losing money on this project if that's the way the worm turns. He doesn't WANT to lose money, but I sense he would be okay losing money. If he was genuinely passionate about his vision and believing he could turn it around in enough time.

It's not that he's a money mark. It's that he's rich and doing what he loves. And as long as he can keep doing what he loves, losing money isn't going to be a big deal to him. I mean shit dude Elon Musk blew $44 billion just so he could spout whatever conspiracy nonsense with impunity on Twitter. Rich dudes don't look at money the same way working folks like us do.

• Like 4