DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF GOIN' BOWLING! - 2022-23

Raziel

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

What’s that? You’ve never seen a guy simultaneously break his school’s freshman bowl passing record and yet still play badly enough to probably lose his starting job at the same time?

I guess you didn’t watch the Alamo Bowl.

Ewers is such a fascinating player. At times this year he looked every bit as good as the hype if not better, and at others like he's gonna be one of the most overhyped flops ever.

Assuming Manning does grab his job, there'll be no shortage of coaches who want to see if they can "fix" him.

Part of me thinks he should've stayed in Columbus. Sure, he wouldn't have played much this here, but it's a hell of a situation to step into next season. Harrison, Egbuka, Williams, no clear cut answer at QB, a coach who is a brilliant passing game designer... 

I’ve been doing my CFP homework this week, and I regret to say that I’m now even more confident that before that we are just killing time until crowning Georgia again.

I know I said Ohio State has the old “puncher’s chance,” but I’m fading that hard right now. I do not see OSU’s OL holding up to Georgia’s DL, and CJ Stroud is not Bryce Young. Those two are comparably talented as passers, but the key difference that allowed Young to be so successful against Georgia last year was his ability to be an improvisational wizard when the pocket breaks down, as it inevitably does against Georgia. Stroud is not that. Stroud wants to stand on a pedestal in the pocket and deal; he becomes a significantly worse passer under pressure and on the move, and he is definitely not a willing runner like Young is. I think that’s a key difference in this game.

Maybe…maybe…Marvin Harrison can be good enough on his own to break Georgia’s secondary rules, like Jameson Williams was last year, and create explosive plays through sheer talent, but that’s a tall order.

Beyond that, you’re kind of just left hoping that, much like against Clemson in the 2020 playoffs, Ryan Day has stumbled upon the one flaw that Georgia has no answer for. And that’s really hard to imagine. Kirby’s defensive schemes are just SO sound when he has time to prepare, there’s usually no answer except elite offensive execution.

Conversely, Michigan/TCU looks like a walk for Michigan. The best comp for this game might be TCU/Texas from earlier this year. Longhorns were the closest team to Michigan’s combo of size/athleticism on defense that TCU has played all year, and they were totally incompetent on offense, only getting in the endzone on a busted coverage and missed run fit. And Michigan’s defense is a HELL of a lot better than UT’s.

In that game, TCU’s undersized 3-3-5 defense had to totally sellout to stop Texas’s run game with Bijan Robinson, and though they succeeded in that, they left themselves wide open for explosive pass plays that Quinn Ewers, in a recurring theme for his season, could not consistently convert. However, as we saw in the Michigan/OSU game, while JJ McCarthy may not be a great pocket passer, he can certainly make plays if you give him one-on-one’s down the field.

So we’re looking at an UGA/Mich final, and…I just don’t see anything that suggests this game would be much different from last year’s. Like, I don’t think it would be over by halftime again, but I do think its Georgia going away in the end. Think less Bama/ND 2012 and more Bama/ND 2020. Same outcome but a more respectable showing for Michigan. McCarthy’s legs and livelier arm give the Wolverines a little something extra that they didn’t have (until garbage time) last year, but you don’t beat Georgia with that alone. You HAVE to have a QB who can consistently execute NFL reads and make the perfect throw into the 2% of the field that Georgia will give you…and I haven’t seen that from McCarthy yet.

Now, if Ohio State can somehow pull the upset, I also don’t see any reason why the outcome of Michigan/OSU II should be any different than the last game, either. The Buckeyes have developed a toughness problem under Ryan Day. Whether it’s a problem of not valuing it, not knowing how to find it, or not being able to get it on campus, he just doesn’t have the Dudes on the OL/DL like they did when Urban Meyer was there and they could even push around the likes of Alabama, let alone Michigan. Until that changes, OSU is going to continue to have a BIG problem matching up with Michigan.

Edited by EVA

If it comes down to Michigan/UGA again, I'm a realist and know that Georgia probably wins. But I do think Georgia isn't quite as good on defense as last year, and Michigan has a higher ceiling on offense. Also hopefully Michigan's coaching staff learned a valuable lesson about not calling slow developing plays.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

Well this is fun - New Jersey has halted betting on the Citrus Bowl (Purdue vs LSU) because "an individual associated with Purdue Football team" is in violation of state regulations.

If you guessed that that person is Drew Brees - you win a prize

Basically, Brees being a spokesperson for PointsBet is a big red flag for the state

Should come as no surprise, but the Barstool Bowl commentary has big shindie energy. Just the loudest, most obnoxious people who never shut up, know nothing about what’s happening, and seem primarily interested in popping themselves.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile one man found a way to parlay the Mayo Bowl into getting suspended from his job:

Good Lord. It's one thing to be the kind of person who thinks that, but it's a whole nother to also be dumb enough to say it on the air.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also hopefully Michigan's coaching staff learned a valuable lesson enjoy not calling store l slow developing plays.

I rewatched a cut-up of that game this week, and my immediate thought was “This was a very dumb offensive gameplan.”

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

I rewatched a cut-up of that game this week, and my immediate thought was “This was a very dumb offensive gameplan.”

They clearly thought their offensive line could hold up the front four much better than they actually could. So many plays that took way too long to develop.

I'm pretty certain they'll be much smarter in a rematch, at least.

33 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Good Lord. It's one thing to be the kind of person who thinks that, but it's a whole nother to also be dumb enough to say it on the air.

It's like that really old south park episode, "you're gonna get us in trouble again."

38 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

the "reading of out of town scores to fill time" thing is literally one of the easier less controversial parts of an announcer's job, Brennaman'ing yourself during that is just another level (maybe not a fair comp since Hahn knew he was on the air)

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

the "reading of out of town scores to fill time" thing is literally one of the easier less controversial parts of an announcer's job, Brennaman'ing yourself during that is just another level (maybe not a fair comp since Hahn knew he was on the air)

It's staggeringly stupid.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He’s a good announcer so I’m hoping he just gets a slap on the wrist and a short vacation.  

For all the focus on sub-par QB play at Clemson these last two seasons, I think it’s also worth noting that they’ve been missing dudes at WR, too. There’s no Watkins, Hopkins, Higgins, Renfrow, or Ross out there helping.

Clemson’s last couple of drives have really exemplified that.

Edited by EVA