DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF GOIN' BOWLING! - 2022-23

Raziel

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

If there's any team in the nation I have absolutely no clue if they are any good or not, it's Penn State. Dominated a bunch of bad teams, won close against a mediocre/decent team, got destroyed on the road and lost a fairly close home game against the only two good teams they played, but those were two of the five or six best teams in the country. I have no idea.

I'm starting to think they're pretty good.

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Penn St and Florida St will both have a lot of juice as playoff contenders next season.

Assuming the Buckeyes find a replacement at QB, the top of the B1G East (in possibly it's okay year is existence) could be just absurdly good. Michigan is bringing back a ton of talent, and presumably J.J. and Donovan will be even better (and Blake might be back), Ohio will have the best collection of skill position players in the country by a large margin... If Maryland or Sparty or somebody less expected steps up and has a good year... It's a meat grinder.

Georgia/Ohio was the most watched CFP semifinal game since Georgia/Oklahoma in 2018 (2017 season), averaging 22.1 million viewers.

Michigan/TCU was the most watched afternoon semifinal game since the same Rose Bowl, drawing 21.4 million viewers.

Turns out getting arguably the two biggest TV draws in college football, and having them both play down to the wire instant classics, is good for TV ratings. (And some exec in Bristol is *pissed* that they both lost.)

• Like 2

So apparently tailgating is not allowed in their parking lots.  Yeah I am sure the fans  at Georgia and TCU are more than willing to cooperate with the rules.  There better about 20 bars in that area 😬

Man hope they don't enforce this rule during Wrestlemania this year.  Oh boy the pain that will cause 

Edited by hammerva

On 1/4/2023 at 2:25 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Georgia/Ohio was the most watched CFP semifinal game since Georgia/Oklahoma in 2018 (2017 season), averaging 22.1 million viewers.

Michigan/TCU was the most watched afternoon semifinal game since the same Rose Bowl, drawing 21.4 million viewers.

Turns out getting arguably the two biggest TV draws in college football, and having them both play down to the wire instant classics, is good for TV ratings. (And some exec in Bristol is *pissed* that they both lost.)

I personally am sick of the monotony and monopoly the SEC has had over the FBS "Playoffs," and the ratings speak to it. 

Congrats to South Dakota State. At least FCS does playoffs infinitely better than FBS does.

1 hour ago, cubbymark said:

I personally am sick of the monotony and monopoly the SEC has had over the FBS "Playoffs," and the ratings speak to it. 

Congrats to South Dakota State. At least FCS does playoffs infinitely better than FBS does.

??? FCS is way worse than FBS in terms of having the same teams at the top all the time. ND State has won 9 of the last 12 FCS titles, appearing in 10 of the title games. The other three winners have appeared in a combined 8 title games during that stretch. You get just as much chalk, if not more, at the lower levels of CFB, because the larger playoff field benefits the elite programs having slightly off years who might otherwise have missed the field (like Bama this year). Which is exactly what’s going to happen when FBS goes to 12.

I may be conflating two separate comments you’re making here, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cubbymark said:

I don't think these ratings had much if anything to do with SEC fatigue. It's just Michigan and Ohio State are two of the top five draws in college football.

(Actually, by a study 538 did several years back, the top three largest fanbases were them and Penn State, though I no longer remember the order.)

The 2006 Michigan/Ohio State game is the most watched regular season game of the 21st century. Three of the four and five of the ten most watched regular season games of the last decade are The Game. 

If the NCG ratings disappoint, I don't think it'll be because SEC, but because the biggest draws didn't make it (and also if it's a blow out instead of an instant classic...)

• Like 1

Fun fact: Sonny Dykes could become only the fourth head coach to win a national title in his first year at a school since the start of the poll era, following Larry Coker and Dennis Erickson both at Miami, and Bennie Oosterbaan at Michigan.

Of course, when Coker got the Miami job he inherited the most talented roster in college football history and a team that finished second the year before. Erickson inherited the Canes right in the middle of the 80's-90's dynasty, also coming off a #2 ranking the year before, and having just won the Natty one year before that. And Oosterbaan took over a Michigan team that finished second in the AP bowl, won an unofficial post-Bowl Game AP poll, and was named national champion by every other NCAA recognized selector in 1947.

Dykes took over a 5-7 team.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

While I’m still betting on Georgia winning this, I don’t necessarily see it as being a slam dunk anymore. Whatever the Horned Frogs’ Odd Stack defense lacks in size, it makes up for it in tricksiness. If the Georgia OL can’t adjust to the odd angles they attack from any better than Michigan could, and it becomes a Dugan vs. Stetson QB duel…Georgia’s odds go way down.

Give Stetson one-on-one’s and he can be really effective. Ask him to sort out a complex coverage that changes after the snap, like TCU’s does? He’s very confusable and prone to throwing picks. And as we saw against Michigan, when you spot TCU possessions/points, they can be hard to catch up to.

I mean, if Georgia has the OL assignments sorted out, that’s a wrap. When UGA can run the ball and just throw off play-action/misdirection when they feel like it, they never lose. TCU will get mashed.

Edited by EVA

I think Smart is less likely to be a stubborn as Harbaugh and keep trying to force the between the tackles stuff if TCU's odd angle run stunts disrupt it early (again I lament not having Corum for those runs.)

After the last two weeks, it's hard to deny that Georgia has a problem defending top level receivers if the QB gets or can buy enough time, and TCU has a lethal number one wideout that might be a top ten pick and a tough athletic QB that can buy time. Michigan got burnt trying to blitz at times, particularly on that corner blitz. 

Georgia is the favorite for good reason, but I absolutely think if they don't overwhelm TCU early, then it can be a dog fight.

Max Duggan reverting to his mean. There is a big advantage in having a senior or super senior QB in college football right now. TCU had a couple of hot WR coaches who recruited guys who had offers from bigger schools. And they worked the portal.