DVDVR Message Board

Secret Santo - Winter 2022/3!

Matt D

Hey guys! So I've been sick with a cold/sinus infection this last week and it set me back a bit, but it's December (and you know what that means...).

Here's the deal. Starting NEXT SATURDAY, if there's interest (at least 6 people, myself included, is pretty much what's necessary), we're running this thing. Research or ask your partner, give them a match, review the match they give you, one week to do it. Keep the matches under 30 mins if possible. Make an effort. Learn about your fellow board members. Watch good wrestling. Go out of your comfort zone or double down into it. If you're going to be unable to give your partner a match for a week, let me know before hand so I take you off the list for a week. Matches can always be reviewed later. Worst thing is not giving your partner something to watch though! My hope is that we could run through the end of the month into the first couple of weeks of January because we're starting a little late and because those early weeks of January can be bleak.

If you are interested, let me know here within the next week.

I roll on the 10th. Once we get a couple of names, someone make sure to tag Dean so we can peer pressure him into it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

giphy.gif

@DEAN

Hey, DEAN!  I am peer pressuring you!

EDIT: might as well get this out of the way now: 

NO "GREAT" MATCHES FOR ME, PLEASE! No ***** Meltzer/Keith-style epics that go long, have tons of (empty) flash and multiple finisher kick-outs. I have seen too much of that. I am here for interesting/weird matches. I love Kenny. I love Okada. I loved Kenny vs Okada at Dominion. I DO NOT WANNA WATCH THAT KIND OF MATCH HERE. I wanna watch Kenny vs Little Girl. Gimme weird. Gimme crazy. Gimme violent. Please don't gimme self-consciously epic and flashy. Also do not give me Sports Entertainment. No WWE. WWWF is fine, if it's weird and/or involves Andre. Also, unless you specifically ask, I won't be giving out great matches, but rather weird or interesting or nostalgic ones.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have special requests that are not hard boundaries, but gentle suggestions.

I would REALLY like to see:

- Random WAR six-man tags

- UWFi (but not the Albright/Vader/etc. tags)

- '70s (Austrian) CWA

- Early-era NOAH, but not if it's a stiff chop/head drop type of deal in the style of its founder.

- As much non-Stampede '60s - '80s Canadian wrestling as you think it is worth seeing. Vancouver! Montreal! Maritimes! I have a Leo Burke-shaped hole in my knowledge!

- Australia in the '70s, though I legit don't know what, if anything, survives from this time. 

Anything that you think I should see from these eras/territories/promotions would go far in filling the many holes in my pro wrestling experience!

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 3

I’m game.

MY TERMS:

Gotta be free on YouTube or similar as I currently have no streaming subscriptions, nor do I have any plans to get one.

No WWE or any of its subsidiaries, acquisitions or “partners,” as I am a petulant child and will not let go of an almost-sixteen-year grudge.

Beyond that? Anything goes.

• Like 4

I'm in, this'll give me something positive to do. After watching all this Territories stuff I would really like to see some good World Class and surely some more Mid-South. Vintage joshi (or more GAIA) would be another option, or any new stuff from any company in the world that's up MY territory... which you know what that means.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

On 12/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, Matt D said:

Hey guys! So I've been sick with a cold/sinus infection this last week and it set me back a bit, but it's December (and you know what that means...).

Here's the deal. Starting NEXT SATURDAY, if there's interest (at least 6 people, myself included, is pretty much what's necessary), we're running this thing. Research or ask your partner, give them a match, review the match they give you, one week to do it. Keep the matches under 30 mins if possible. Make an effort. Learn about your fellow board members. Watch good wrestling. Go out of your comfort zone or double down into it. If you're going to be unable to give your partner a match for a week, let me know before hand so I take you off the list for a week. Matches can always be reviewed later. Worst thing is not giving your partner something to watch though! My hope is that we could run through the end of the month into the first couple of weeks of January because we're starting a little late and because those early weeks of January can be bleak.

If you are interested, let me know here within the next week.

I roll on the 10th. Once we get a couple of names, someone make sure to tag Dean so we can peer pressure him into it again.

I'm in ideally if the match is on YouTube. If not YouTube, Dailymotion. I've never taken part in any of these and I think I suck at match reviews but I'll do my best. I've seen very little of Nick Bockwinkel (sorry, @Matt D), Joshi (sorry) or the late great Mr. Brodie Lee away from WWE/AEW. Cheers!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

On 12/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

- As much non-Stampede '60s - '80s Canadian wrestling as you think it is worth seeing. Vancouver! Montreal! Maritimes! I have a Leo Burke-shaped hole in my knowledge!

Now I want to join just to give Smellington Leo Burke matches. But I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about wrestling to participate in something like this. (Honestly, I only know Leo Burke as a name from my childhood. I have no idea which of his matches are worth seeking out.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Now I want to join just to give Smellington Leo Burke matches. But I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about wrestling to participate in something like this. (Honestly, I only know Leo Burke as a name from my childhood. I have no idea which of his matches are worth seeking out.)

You learn by participating. Join us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You learn by participating. Join us.

The problem is I'd have no interesting matches to give out. But I should at least make an effort to watch as many of the matches you guys give each other as I can.

25 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The problem is I'd have no interesting matches to give out. But I should at least make an effort to watch as many of the matches you guys give each other as I can.

Nothing says you can't watch the match you give out as a blind item.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I know absolutely zero about pro wrestling, and Matt still lets me participate. Why not give it a shot?

To add my two cents, I don't spend much thought on analyzing pro wrestling matches despite decades of fandom so this will be different for me as well. I feel like we are basically amongst friends here so I don't anticipate being embarrassed by the quality of my writing.

This is excellent discipline for focus, articulation and getting some writing done, as well as viewing some different grappling. I'm in, thanks [circle a]Matt D (yeah, it's hard to embed and such still with the Chrome, this is gonna cause much cussin' around the rectory here). AND I get to see some rasslin'. Pick for me stuff THAT YOU LIKE, on some freebie platform like the YouTubes or DMotion. I am swingin' back into a wrestling groove thanks to olde CWF Satanic Sullivan footage so vintage is good but if you dig something "new" and think it will rouse the loins of this old mule, feel free. You ain't gotta impress me - a tickling of the whimsy will do just fine. LET THE DOGS OF OVER_ANALYSIS LOOSE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I'm in. I've leved up over the pandemic and I'm watching absolutely everything like I'm 16 again. I have an IWTV sub I don't use enough fwiw.

EDIT/ADDITION: I have a big blind spot from 2007 to 2015 in the non-WWE or NJPW world. I don't watch enough Florida, or lucharesu, or Moxley-era CZW or post-Misawa NOAH or turn-of-the-millennium lucha or ROH when Nigel was on top or GWF or deathmatches after 2010 or recent AJPW or whatever months Waltman was in WCW or T2P after the debut show or uuuhhh y'know I probably DO watch enough I just want to watch everything.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so we have TWELVE people. That's a lot of people. Some are new. That's great.

Remember, most important thing is to give your partner a match. If you think you won't check the board for a few days, well, try to sneak in on Saturday to do that much at least. Nothing over 30. Hear what your partner has to say. Don't worry about killing yourself on the review. Did you like it or not. What worked/what didn't? What stood out? What surprised you? Etc.

By the way, I'll take whatever. I watch enough wrestling along the lines of what I'm wanting to watch that it's pretty easy. I mean, don't give me Omega/Okada or anything. If you really need help and have the knowledge, post 87 Maeda, pre-AEW Darby Allin, the very best SHIMMER had to offer, CMLL from the last couple of years, but just surprise me really.

@Execproducer
@SirSmellingtonofCascadia
---
@The Natural
@Curt McGirt
---
@porksweats
@Gordlow
---
@Sammo~!
@John E. Dynamite
---
@Super Ape
@DEAN
---
Matt D
@thee Reverend Axl Future

RAF,
Maniac Matt Borne in South Africa against a Otto Wanz-ian local hero.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2