DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Should be noted cord cuting for cable is still ongoing, so that problem will make AEW and RAW ratings sink further down slowly. In this decade for several American old medias such as print, cable tv, and even going to the movies will all futher shrink downwards. Those old medias survive by dumping lots of money in those businesses and inflation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2022/12/13/as-cord-cutting-grows-and-streaming-video-struggles-viewers-are-buying-digital-antennas/?sh=23024b8774d7

Edited by Red King
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I mentioned Baltimore earlier as having 2 already. Since the Arena (whatever its name now) is still used, it's a candidate. Funny thing is I don't know if ROH ran there when Sinclair owned them. The one ROH show i went to was in a park or on someone's campus IIRC. 

Okay, found one:

Joe Louis Arena

NWA (via JCP) - Ron Garvin b Ric Flair 9/25/1987 
WWF - The Undertaker b Hulk Hogan 11/27/1991
WCW - The Giant b Hulk Hogan (by DQ, retroactively) 10/29/1995

• Like 8

On 12/29/2022 at 10:22 AM, Mario said:

Dave thinks Lee’s ceiling is lower than you’d think.  Generally skeptical that he’ll get much of a chance in WWE. Too many factors against him, including not being fluent in English.  AEW was interested in him, but apparently not enough to offer him good money.  Dave’s attitude is that AEW already has their guys and Lee isn’t that unique when you have Fenix, Pentagon, Bandido on the roster.

I agree with Meltzer here. Outside of getting a chance to put on the lengthy matches on Dynamite and Rampage that might get people talking for a week or 2 then WWE is the better option anyway. I don't see him getting a sustained push going in.

It's still dope seeing Hunter putting over someone he signed that has already has a relatively big name outside of WWE. 

Ricochet is finally getting featured as Strong presence on the main roster after all this time. If they want to they could match Lee up against Ricochet or Ali.

Hunter could actually push the guy. Unless start hiring more known talent from the outside for NXT to hopefully draw on the road then they may as well bring him straight to the main roster 

• Like 1

Chavez Bros.(Angel Del Oro & Niebla Rojo) Vs. Titan & Volador Jr. for the CMLL Tag Titles from last night has been getting high praise by the usual suspects. CMLL puts it up on their YouTube channel in two weeks. So look out for that one.

Chavez Bros have been red hot all of 2022, with Angel Del Oro being the main factor. He has really found his superstar presence from deep within himself.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 9:17 AM, tbarrie said:

Warning: watching that video may make you want to see Miz in the main event scene again, which probably isn't healthy.

What I learned from watching this is that MJF desperately needs to use this song as his entrance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd certainly take Fenix and Bandido over Dragon Lee.

I might even take fucking Pentagon over Lee. Actually, I'll row back on that. The taint spammer.

Pentagon leading the return of the attitude era?! Cero miedo about showing butt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd certainly take Fenix and Bandido over Dragon Lee.

I might even take fucking Pentagon over Lee. Actually, I'll row back on that. The taint spammer.

therein lies the rub, what exactly has Bandito done since the Jericho match? WWE at least has a zillion hours of television to fill

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

therein lies the rub, what exactly has Bandito done since the Jericho match? WWE at least has a zillion hours of television to fill

Bandido was in the tournament for the #1 contendership. He beat Rush and then lost to Ethan Page.

• Like 2

It’s true, these two are great dance partners, and this might be the first tease of the year for a mask match between both men. You know, it might actually happen. They really seem insistent on doing it, and if CMLL builds it well enough, I think they will allow them. Soberano is very red hot, and putting him in with a talented rival in a big stakes match would be the best for him, and the company. The semi-main is ehhhhhhh… But the rest of the card is of very good quality. The segunda especially has a lot of potential. This combo of the Panthers already produced magic once. Could be another test to see if this can be a another permanent fixture on Friday’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s true, these two are great dance partners, and this might be the first tease of the year for a mask match between both men. You know, it might actually happen. They really seem insistent on doing it, and if CMLL builds it well enough, I think they will allow them. Soberano is very red hot, and putting him in with a talented rival in a big stakes match would be the best for him, and the company. The semi-main is ehhhhhhh… But the rest of the card is of very good quality. The segunda especially has a lot of potential. This combo of the Panthers already produced magic once. Could be another test to see if this can be a another permanent fixture on Friday’s.

Oh shit, that's a huge rematch. I didn't even realize Templario was back. I was gonna watch the Sin Salida card live but maybe I'll do this instead.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Gonna edit this later when I can inline, but I totally forgot I had started to make a list of all the Soberano/Templario matches I could find. There were two episodes of Super Viernes that had CMLL Welterweight title matches that just straight-up don't exist on their YouTube. Oh well. Here's my backlog.

1-25-19, Lightning Match

6-13-19, Lucha Pittsburgh

9-1-19, Warrior Wrestling from Chicago

10-4-2019

1-31-2020, Lightning Match

• Thanks 1