DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Good for him to get paid. I also have no clue why aew and new japan didn’t pursue him harder, but they didn’t (I know the talk of the neck injury at the cow palace). 

I had the pleasure of seeing him a number of times here in the Bay Area. If better companies wouldn’t sign him, I’m glad wwe did. I texted my friend saying I hoped he would be able to keep his name and he instantly replied “Bruce Leroy” lol. 

edit: also, as cubsfan said, he’s only 27 so he has plenty of time for a nice run after 3 years in wwe or whatever. Get that money. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 3

Watching the first episode of Action Zone in 1995. It's the first episode after Jim Ross returns to the company. It's notable a show only for both the first meeting of future tag champions Kanyon and Bam Bam, and just JR getting absolutely bodied on commentary by Todd Pettengill (and presumably Vince feeding him lines). Speaking of justified heel turns...

• Like 3

Why did Pedro get banned NOW, instead of when he was stirring all that shit up? I guess that's rhetorical, since it was a previously banned poster coming back with a new name, but he was being rather benign of late, unless I missed something.

...apparently, I did. Thanks, Monsoon!

Edited by Shartnado
That got cleared up...
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, matt925 said:

Good for him to get paid. I also have no clue why aew and new japan didn’t pursue him harder, but they didn’t (I know the talk of the neck injury at the cow palace). 

I had the pleasure of seeing him a number of times here in the Bay Area. If better companies wouldn’t sign him, I’m glad wwe did. I texted my friend saying I hoped he would be able to keep his name and he instantly replied “Bruce Leroy” lol. 

edit: also, as cubsfan said, he’s only 27 so he has plenty of time for a nice run after 3 years in wwe or whatever. Get that money. 

Well, they did get Rush and Bandido, when there appeared to be interest from WWE for Bandido as well.

It's a good signing by WWE, but wrestlers like Dragon Lee only get to a certain ceiling there. I don't see that changing in the Triple H regime.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:59 PM, Pedro said:

Didn't he go to USWA for awhile though? I never really watched much USWA but I did read all the Apter mags during that time. Moadib was a beast in GWF/

Yes!  I agree on the Simmons comment. Ron would have been a great mentor to Tony had Tony wanted to listen and behave. 

I really can't tell if he's just being a garden variety smark and using government names out of turn, or its really fitting that of any wrestler he'd be close to, it's the one charged with trafficking young girls.

To paraphrase an Austin promo line - if you take the letter r out of pedro.......

57 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well, they did get Rush and Bandido, when there appeared to be interest from WWE for Bandido as well.

It's a good signing by WWE, but wrestlers like Dragon Lee only get to a certain ceiling there. I don't see that changing in the Triple H regime.

Is it better to be a headliner in AAA or CMLL or a mid-card act in WWE? It might depend on what you value most at this point in your career - financial stability or artistic achievement, presuming WWE offers the former and the Roldans/Carlos or Panico/the Alonsos the latter. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is it better to be a headliner in AAA or CMLL or a mid-card act in WWE? It might depend on what you value most at this point in your career - financial stability or artistic achievement, presuming WWE offers the former and the Roldans/Carlos or Panico/the Alonsos the latter. 

I think only the wrestler can answer that question. The good news for Dragon Lee is that he's still in his 20s. So if he spends 3-5 years in WWE, that can arguably help him and increase his value. Plus he can get financial stability if/when he were to leave, make a return to AAA, Japan, or the indies.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Andrade was claiming recently that main eventers in AAA are making less than opening match guys in CMLL.

The way I understood it, at least before covid, you were pretty much guaranteed a certain number of bookings per week as a CMLL guy,maybe more but not usually less. So, you could presume working x days a week and have a stable if not always great paycheck. And then you could maybe get indy dates to supplement that, as long as they were cleared by the office. 

AAA, not so much. 

For its many faults, CMLL is at least a stable company. 

• Like 1

Current CMLL you can’t beat right now. It’s the best it’s ever been booked since the early 00’s. But a lot of people haven’t picked up on it because of the way the shows have been distributed, but people should give it a shot. They have quite a collection of future stars on their roster right now. Highlighted by a once in a generation lucha talent. I can’t recommend them enough if you need a weekly lucha fix.

• Like 6

You gotta check out Zandokan Jr.. He’s the guy I’m mentioning as the once in a generation guy. He’s currently doing a lot of opening matches. Which you think might be noting, but they are booking him in angles that make him a stand out rudo. It also helps this is because of the big cage match up this Sunday(Sin Salida). After this Sunday though, he’s definitely getting moved up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Current CMLL you can’t beat right now. It’s the best it’s ever been booked since the early 00’s. But a lot of people haven’t picked up on it because of the way the shows have been distributed, but people should give it a shot. They have quite a collection of future stars on their roster right now. Highlighted by a once in a generation lucha talent. I can’t recommend them enough if you need a weekly lucha fix.

How do I watch? Do they have a service or do they also post shows on Twitch or YouTube? 

17 minutes ago, Octopus said:

How do I watch? Do they have a service or do they also post shows on Twitch or YouTube? 

They post Friday shows(Their #1 show) on a two weeks delay on the YouTube channel every Sunday. VideosOficialesCMLL Is where you want to go https://m.youtube.com/@VideosOficialesCMLL. If you want to watch live Friday shows you’ll have to pay five bucks for it on the Ticketmaster page. Cubsfan posts the link usually the day of on Luchablog. The catch with these streams is that you can’t rewatch them after they air. So you need to watch it live, or wait two weeks to rewatch it on YouTube. Try this Sundays show. It’s five bucks, on an easier day to watch it,  and it’s considered one of their biggest of the shows of the calender year, if you are here for the big shows.

I’d also recommend subscribing to certain Lucha YouTube channels. That way you can get quick updates to where the stars of the major promotions are throughout the week.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Listening to Meltzer now and Dave claims he signed for “NXT money”, not main roster money.

Dave thinks Lee’s ceiling is lower than you’d think.  Generally skeptical that he’ll get much of a chance in WWE. Too many factors against him, including not being fluent in English.  AEW was interested in him, but apparently not enough to offer him good money.  Dave’s attitude is that AEW already has their guys and Lee isn’t that unique when you have Fenix, Pentagon, Bandido on the roster.

Lee isn’t as special anymore in 2023(Even probably all the way back in 2019). Which is true. I mean you could factor in that he is an extremely handsome young man, but just being that isn’t exactly helping Hector Garza Jr.. So he’ll need a complete reinvention of who he is if he wants to swim. Still he is the more gifted member of his family in terms of being a spectacle, but again there are 10 other(and more) Luchadors I’d put over him today. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Seeing today is the anniversary of Stan Hansen beating Rick Martel to win the AWA title at the Meadowlands, and the thought occurred to me: how many US arenas can claim they hosted world title switches for three different promotions?

Meadowlands: AWA, WWF (Hart b Undertaker), NWA (Flair b Sting)

• Like 4