DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

3 hours ago, just drew said:

He can’t. Because there aren’t any. She’s a really good wrestler but some folks act like she’s some huge draw when there’s zero empirical reason to believe she’s any more of a draw than Becky or Bianca or even Bayley or Alexa…

There's this: https://thesportingbrews.com/2021/12/05/sasha-banks-drawing-the-best-numbers-in-wrestling-since-return/

It's over a year old now and even hard numbers can be manipulated to confirm biases but, taken at face value, it backs up what people have said about Sasha being a draw at least relative to her peers.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

There's this: https://thesportingbrews.com/2021/12/05/sasha-banks-drawing-the-best-numbers-in-wrestling-since-return/

It's over a year old now and even hard numbers can be manipulated to confirm biases but, taken at face value, it backs up what people have said about Sasha being a draw at least relative to her peers.

That entire blog is nothing but creepy posts about Sasha

Why Sasha Banks is the female Shawn Michaels

Its all a silly argument because no current wrestler by themselves are draws as far as I can tell. RAW has gotten some of its lowest ratings ever lately, even with Becky back. SmackDown holds steady regardless if Bray or Roman are announced as doing something, maybe a one week bump but back to normal the next week. AEW barely got a bump with Danielson and Punk (they helped with other things, like popping a PPV buy and merch, but minimal help with with week to week ratings). Wrestling promotions have shifted to selling themselves as a brand, especially WWE, and arguing who is/isn't a draw is virtually impossible to prove in 2022 since very few (if any) individual wrestlers are "needle movers" as they say.

All that to say, I don't see an issue with Sasha wanting the same money as Becky and Charlotte. She's been at or very near the popularity level of Becky (not basing it off social media followers, just the ear/eye tests from watching shows) and I'd argue she is more popular with fans than Charlotte is. She knows her worth and if she can get it somewhere else, more power to her. And I'd say that about any wrestler, but it is.... interesting that Sasha seems to be the one that gets some fans to bring up the 'draw' argument when wrestlers like Braun probably got paid way too much to return to be a glorified midcarder.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

And I'd say that about any wrestler, but it is.... interesting that Sasha seems to be the one that gets some fans to bring up the 'draw' argument when wrestlers like Braun probably got paid way too much to return to be a glorified midcarder.

You must skip literally every other conversation about Charlotte.

I would say that the female wrestlers on average do get questioned about this much more than their male counterparts though.

About this Vince wants to return rumour... Is it paranoid to think that a belief/fear he would be returning is why there have been no major changes to most of the shows, apart from fired wrestlers returning to fill out the roster, and a reduction of some of the more outrageously stupid and juvenile angles?

I put it down to the fact that the content machine was simply too big to slow down or maybe everyone being scared of Kevin Dunn, but perhaps no one ever really thought the monster had truly gone away, and they're all still trying to impress him like they've been conditioned to do.

But I guess it's impossible to draw a line between them booking a still very Vincey show because they never thought he was truly retired, or because years of brainwashing have convinced them that this is the only way to make money in wrestling, and any major deviation will bring ruin.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

About this Vince wants to return rumour... Is it paranoid to think that a belief/fear he would be returning is why there have been no major changes to most of the shows, apart from fired wrestlers returning to fill out the roster, and a reduction of some of the more outrageously stupid and juvenile angles?

Yes, not saying its wrong completely, but its absolutely paranoid without question. What kind of major changes were you expecting with Vince gone? Things aren't perfect, but you typically don't mess with things too much, especially too soon after major shake ups behind the scenes when the reasoning for said shake ups aren't related to creative.

21 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Sasha seems to be one of the few stars to get any significant main stream exposure of late. that has to count for something

Sasha appeared in a Star Wars TV series and WWE didn't promote it at all.  You had her literally fighting Boba Fett and doing wrestling moves on him, and WWE couldn't be bothered to promote it. Just goes to show the whole "grab the brass ring" thing is utter bullshit and the whole "we're Superstars and competing with Hollywood" is also bullshit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

35 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Sasha appeared in a Star Wars TV series and WWE didn't promote it at all.  You had her literally fighting Boba Fett and doing wrestling moves on him, and WWE couldn't be bothered to promote it. Just goes to show the whole "grab the brass ring" thing is utter bullshit and the whole "we're Superstars and competing with Hollywood" is also bullshit.

I recall the Mandalorian appearance being mentioned on commentary around the time it happened.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I recall the Mandalorian appearance being mentioned on commentary around the time it happened.

I'm pretty sure there was a throwaway WWE.com story on it too. That's really not that special. They should be giving it TV segments on Raw and SmackDown and not throwaway mentions. 

They made a bigger deal out of Stacy Keibler competing on Dancing With the Stars.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Anyone got any equally strong opinions on which men are overpaid?

The only discussion of who is and isn't a draw that I've ever been invested in was a post on this August Message Board declaring that he either didn't watch or didn't want to watch that week's Impact because Sting wasn't beating people up with a baseball bat. "Not a draw, my ass" were his exact words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm pretty sure there was a throwaway WWE.com story on it too. That's really not that special. They should be giving it TV segments on Raw and SmackDown and not throwaway mentions. 

They made a bigger deal out of Stacy Keibler competing on Dancing With the Stars.

Did they? I honestly can't remember how much promotion that go. Did they go as far as dedicating tv segments to it because that seems like a bit much. Beyond that I want to say such promotions are worked out between the companies as things like clips are typically involved. Since it was a job Sasha got on her own there probably wasn't anything worked out with Disney for such promotion to occur.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

And Kiebler was ridiculously under-promoted on that one.

The fact that they gave way more promotion to that EGG from Red Notice tells you that they COULD promote stuff if they choose to, but in those cases at least, they made the conscious decision NOT to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That thing about how WWE didn't see Sasha as someone who could still main event in five years (but does see Charlotte that way) is weird because Sasha Banks is still only 30 years old, and Charlotte is 36. So in five year's time...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1