DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

44 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Vince trying to get control back would be a fascinating train wreck to watch lol

Remember when *redacted* thought his, um... issues would blow over and he would be able to come back to ROH?

Yeah, that's how I see this going.

• Like 1

Sasha shows up, goads Jade into some kind of match, and cheats to win and ends the streak and maybe even takes the Baddies with her. Simple and effective. And Jade chasing Sasha means Jade now gets to work against an all-time great but having to do so by coming from underneath, which means she will hopefully grow and improve as a worker.

She’s fine now as the overwhelming athlete force of nature but that has a limited shelf life. At some point, Jade is going to have to be in a competitive match and might as well have her in there with someone who is a great heel with a huge level of star power.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Today you risk damaging people on both sides - The new signings risk getting "go away" heat because people are watching AEW specifically because it's not WWE. The Home Growns risk being seen as 'less than' or legitimately under pushed which was the problem in WWE in the first place.e

I honestly get all the skepticism especially since you cannot afford to book anything like wrong. However,  think it's more damaging to acknowledge the elephant in the room especially when a good year plus everyone was like, "this division sucks...we need to bring a workhorse or two from WWE who isn't happy to be in WWE".  Add in that Thunder Rosa's run petered out before she was forced to weirdly vacant her title. However, it turns out that isn't looking like the solution when people are getting behind Jade and Jamie Hayter and before that got behind Britt Baker. You cannot have that, then make the biggest free agent acquisition you can get make when it comes to your female division, and just ignore that all that. 

Moreover, I don't believe Mercedes Varnado would agree to come in and then first thing that happens in someone comes in and eats her up. I don't see that flying with her nor would TK agree to that. The last thing that division needs is just another person. Ruby and Athena came in with big pops and then after 3 or 4 months, they were just pretty much just another person to work on Dark or Dark: Elevation. Whether you feel those two women are quality performers or not, that's clearly a waste of two free agent signees. There isn't another star on the horizon ready to jump from WWE. Why fuck this up just to prove a point? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

4) Vince has told people he wants to make a comeback and that he was given bad advice when he stepped down. He thinks the whole incident would have blown over. (It wouldn't.)

"Bad advice" is what is getting me. That's a level of delusion that I didn't even think Vince was capable of having.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Moreover, I don't believe Mercedes Varnado would agree to come in and then first thing that happens in someone comes in and eats her up. I don't see that flying with her nor would TK agree to that. The last thing that division needs is just another person. Ruby and Athena came in with big pops and then after 3 or 4 months, they were just pretty much just another person to work on Dark or Dark: Elevation. Whether you feel those two women are quality performers or not, that's clearly a waste of two free agent signees. There isn't another star on the horizon ready to jump from WWE. Why fuck this up just to prove a point? 

You could argue that Samoa Joe never recovered from Kurt Angle beating him clean in their first TNA match - his mystique was gone after that

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

You could argue that Samoa Joe never recovered from Kurt Angle beating him clean in their first TNA match - his mystique was gone after that

TNA then was in a much different place than AEW is now. They thought signing Angle would jump start the entire promotion. I mean they got two good buyrates out of it IIRC and that was pretty much it. The problem that TNA has was they made a bunch of people sacrificial lambs, not just Joe despite perhaps him being the biggest sacrificial lamb. AEW has the opposite problem is that the stars they do bring in cannot maintain any sense of aura.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Today you risk damaging people on both sides - The new signings risk getting "go away" heat because people are watching AEW specifically because it's not WWE. 

Nearly everyone who makes the jump gets enthusiastic receptions from audiences (I say nearly because, well, Jarrett...). People were even pitching a Punk/Bryan/Cole stable of new arrivals for some reason. It'd be fine, nobody's giving Sasha's crew "go away" anything. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

"Bad advice" is what is getting me. That's a level of delusion that I didn't even think Vince was capable of having.

cocaine-cocaines-a-hell-of-a-drug.gif

Seriously though, Vince is one of these psychotic workaholics that probably doesn't have any identity/personality/interests outside of his job.  While you work that's the recipe for being super successful.  Once that work is taken away though...   

It appears he's currently at the 'bargaining' phase of processing the loss of his job and realizing he's never going to work again. 

• Like 6

Imagine being so much of a workaholic that you’re a multimillionaire and you’re sad because you can’t go back to work.

Like, goddamn dude, go to the Bahamas or something for a year. Jesus. Work isn’t everything.

Also fuck him, but still.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Sasha shows up, goads Jade into some kind of match, and cheats to win and ends the streak and maybe even takes the Baddies with her. Simple and effective. And Jade chasing Sasha means Jade now gets to work against an all-time great but having to do so by coming from underneath, which means she will hopefully grow and improve as a worker.

She’s fine now as the overwhelming athlete force of nature but that has a limited shelf life. At some point, Jade is going to have to be in a competitive match and might as well have her in there with someone who is a great heel with a huge level of star power.

If your going to end Jades streak this early, then Sasha would be the person and I do believe she'd give hee her best match as I'm sure she's gotten good matches out of people as green or greener than Jade. I'd like to see her against Saraya first because the obvious backstory but guys would see that as a WWE match.

With Vince,  if he does come back and assume power again then I doubt with announce it form formally

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As a massive Hayter Lover (shirt idea?) I can definitely get behind this in theory, but in practice: this might be a waste of money and Sasha.

I see the story you want to tell (and its a good one) but FAs on her level don't come around often enough IMO to warrant such a bold experiment/deviation from the norm.

And let me attempt to say this in a way that isn't incendiary toward any of the performers or management:

Personnel-wise, it seems to me like if this kind of angle isn't handled very, very carefully, it could easily end up turning into an express train to 'Doesn't work for me, brother' with a layover at Mindy's Bakery

This is the story they should have told with Saraya (loses to Brit in her first match in 5 years, works her way back up the card) but they blew it.  Sasha is the wrong one to do it with, and she'd never go for it (nor should she).

If I were Matt Riddle I know what I'd probably be failing for.  This is a fun one for speculation but I won't go there other than to say you'd think he'd be better at this at this point.  Disappointing because he's one of the most talented guys they have IMO, and it seemed like he was already fighting an uphill battle on a couple fronts.  Vince seemed to like him, Hunter pushed him in NXT....not sure who's in charge makes a difference on this one

The Vince stuff is hilarious.  I totally think it was a coup at this point and have for a while (him saying he got bad advice from people close to him is interesting)....he's delusional if he thinks he's getting back in power, right?

• Like 1

I'm conflicted between wanting to learn from the mistakes of Joe/Angle, have Mercedes come in, make a big mistake (is there a massive difference between AEW and WWE rings that would conceivably be used as a finish?), pump kick, shock win, and then spend the rest of the year, initially redeeming/proving herself to the AEW crowd, and then finding any excuse to get matches with Jade in tag and multi-woman matches, and then you do a slow build of Mercedes learning Jade's game and scouting her, leading to the match where she finally gets her win back.

But also aware that it probably comes across as more of a rip off of Bianca/Becky from Summerslam than it would be Joe/Angle. 

Either way - Mercedes debuting and beating Jade in her first match isn't it. 

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'm conflicted between wanting to learn from the mistakes of Joe/Angle, have Mercedes come in, make a big mistake (is there a massive difference between AEW and WWE rings that would conceivably be used as a finish?), pump kick, shock win, and then spend the rest of the year, initially redeeming/proving herself to the AEW crowd, and then finding any excuse to get matches with Jade in tag and multi-woman matches, and then you do a slow build of Mercedes learning Jade's game and scouting her, leading to the match where she finally gets her win back.

But also aware that it probably comes across as more of a rip off of Bianca/Becky from Summerslam than it would be Joe/Angle. 

Either way - Mercedes debuting and beating Jade in her first match isn't it. 

Are people this jaded (pun intended maybe?!) over interpromotional stuff that we have to establish who is better than who right off the bat? Is there like a hard and fast deadline I don't about? It doesn't have to be either/or. We saw WWF leave money on the table believing that. In addition, I saw UFC leave a ton of money on the table with the death of PRIDE FC believing that as well and also doing petty shit along with the way too (see the matchmaker passing Joe Rogan notes saying "this ain't Japan" after a former PRIDE star loses). You don't have to squash anyone most especially when they first come in. Keep in mind, AEW has done surprise squashes and they really haven't been that meaningful (maybe for Brodie Lee it did). Point is no one was a much bigger star from it. Moreover, there is no way Tony Khan is going do it. I think those were part and parcel of someone saying "let me show how much of a pro I can be" and then patting themselves on the back. It's the ole Scott Hall I put you over without putting you over move.

You can book it where you manage to keep everyone strong if you do it right. If Tony Khan can't do it right, then he was likely to fuck up ANY scenario you can think. Either way, it was going to be damaging. Then, there was no point in signing her (Mercedes Varnado) at all. You can have it where she comes in and manages to put together a streak of her own. She doesn't have to be put over any of the really notable names 3 or 4 months in. Hell, they manage to keep Jade strong WITHOUT putting her over any of the real big names and we're how many months in? That's amazing considering the women's roster ain't that big. Goldberg had a goddamn roster where the amount cannon fodder he had available he could have been undefeated for six years.

You can literally have a year to year storyline where it's can she at some point beat the TBS or world champ. You save the big bosses towards the end of act 2 or beginning of act 3. THEN, you have her go against Jade for the TBS title. They have Jade's most competitive matchup yet and hopefully Jade is ready to have that type of match. In the words of Calvin Candie, Jade "muddles the line between winning and losing" but she manages to come out on top. That way if you want to do some damn redemption story for Mercedes (Varnado), now it makes sense. You can have where she loses to Jade but some how put together a mini win streak afterwards and manages to win the world title whether it's over a Toni Storm or Jamie Hayter. That's when you work towards having a real trilogy with Jade where Jade comes in and says she's that bitch because she holds a win over the current world champ. In match two, that's when you can possibly end the streak if Jade has to lose. You have Jade be more dominant than she was in match 1, but slips on the banana peel because she feels that she already has the formula to beat her. I think the twist here is you don't have Jade make excuses or say that she lost for X reason. You have just simply justify that there needs to be a rubber match, and now it becomes a question of can either woman recreate the magic it takes to beat the other woman? Can Mercedes prove that the 2nd match wasn't a fluke? Can Jade somehow beat the more skilled vet who made all the necessary adjustments from the first match? That is when you elevate Jade Cargill to full bad bitch status and have Jade win the world women's title. I think that's more than adequate storytelling. At no point was anyone on either side squashed or made to look lesser. You can add the garnish of "hey, my girls can beat your girls" or whatever to help elevate some others (hopefully, if they do Blood and Guts, they don't make it 75 minutes long like the other ones). However, the clear through line is that the FKA Sasha Banks working her way to the big bosses (pun intended) and proving she belongs there.

• Like 2