DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

If Sasha Banks walks through the "forbidden door" (aew specifically), I see the only feud that could generate any media attention, being with Jade Cargill.  I know she holds the secondary women's title in the TBS title, and im sure matches with Thunder Rosa and Jamie Hayter would be great, but as far as coverage, wouldnt the "money" match, be "Dat Bish" vs "The Boss (bish)" ?

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Peck said:

And there have been a ton of reports saying that WWE has been done with marijuana tests "for years".

Matt couldn't stop smoking when he was a UFC guy, and it wasn't fair back then. The threshold for a postive marijuana test in MMA is super high now and you never hear about it. So before the conversation goes in the obvious direction, no, this probably isn't about weed. And Matt Riddle has shown that he lacks the ability to not do the drugs he isn't allowed to do. And I'm not shitting on him, I said I would take the week off the sauce and I'm staring down another martini. But yeah man, this was always a possibility with the guy and I hope it works out.

2 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

If Sasha Banks walks through the "forbidden door" (aew specifically), I see the only feud that could generate any media attention, being with Jade Cargill.  I know she holds the secondary women's title in the TBS title, and im sure matches with Thunder Rosa and Jamie Hayter would be great, but as far as coverage, wouldnt the "money" match, be "Dat Bish" vs "The Boss (bish)" ?

We would legit be to the point where you can do a Foreign Army (Saraya, Sasha/Mercedes, Toni, Ruby) vs. the Native Army which would include Britt, Hayter, and Jade for the first women's Blood and Guts. Problem is Tay and now Athena have already flipped to the heel side. Also, I am not sure where Rosa fits into all this. 

• Like 5

On 12/11/2022 at 5:49 PM, notoriusvig said:

Personally, I think Sasha should be patient, and prove to the WWE she doesn't need them. Go reinvent yourself for a year or two, or do it in AEW, and say screw them for the long haul. She's got a ton of charisma and as long as she doesn't walk out, she'll make it.

If AEW was to have Sasha it would be the biggest acquisition since Bryan. The biggest grab for their Women's division by far but I'm not confident they'll book that division the way it it should have been book. Even NWA at times has had a better Women's division that AEW since it started up so I think it'll be great if she works Japan.

Working Japan is something she's wanted to do so honestly that's the good thing about her possibly having a career in wrestling outside of WWE. 

• Like 2

Trying to keep expectations in check if it doesn't happen and Suplex City sucks. This would be one stiff match which Gunther has to win. Hopefully Brock will put a shift in like he did for AJ Styles at Survivor Series 2017 and Daniel Bryan at Survivor Series 2018.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We would legit be to the point where you can do a Foreign Army (Saraya, Sasha/Mercedes, Toni, Ruby) vs. the Native Army which would include Britt, Hayter, and Jade for the first women's Blood and Guts. Problem is Tay and now Athena have already flipped to the heel side. Also, I am not sure where Rosa fits into all this. 

Would a foreign army of women’s wrestlers really be that special in a promotion that had a de-facto foreign army of male NXT wrestlers back during the peak of the Adam Cole push?

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Would a foreign army of women’s wrestlers really be that special in a promotion that had a de-facto foreign army of male NXT wrestlers back during the peak of the Adam Cole push?

Yes, considering that they did a face vs. face match between two women (Ruby Soho and Statlander) and the fans were solidly to say the least behind the person who was homegrown. That and they leaned in that direction in the build for Britt vs. Saraya.

• Like 2

Matt Riddle has just established why WWE will never be confident to put him up as a main event or world champion. He's unreliable, and he's never been reliable. 

He couldn't even stay clean long enough to get a fight in Bellator when he signed with them. Not to mention, he's constantly gotten into trouble and had problems while in WWE. Publicly trashing Goldberg and Brock Lesnar did not go well for him either. 

I don't know if his issues are marijuana related or not, but I do think it's largely addiction. I am sympathetic to that, but this has been an ongoing thing with him going all the way back to his UFC days. If big promotions can't rely on you, they aren't going to keep you around or put you in the big marquee positions. 

More Vince news in the WSJ. Anyone who said the WSJ would stop reporting on this was dead wrong. One of the best investigative reporters in the world is on this beat. https://www.wsj.com/articles/wwes-vince-mcmahon-faces-fresh-demands-from-women-alleging-sexual-abuse-11670945682

In sum:

1) A new allegation has emerged. A California spa manager says Vince sexually assaulted her about a decade ago. Her husband apparently went to the WWE show in town that night with a bat to beat up Vince but wasn't able to get to him.

2) Rita Chatterton is seeking damages. It doesn't read like a legal claim, but more like her lawyer wrote to Vince's lawyer demanding money. 

3) Greg "The Hammer" Valentine surfaced in the article. He says Rita told him about the incidents in the 80s but he did not believe her because she was not attractive enough for Vince. 

4) Vince has told people he wants to make a comeback and that he was given bad advice when he stepped down. He thinks the whole incident would have blown over. (It wouldn't.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Not 100% analogous, but look what happened when they put a title on RVD. I presume they wouldn't want a repeat of that situation. 

Yeah, that and all the Jeff Hardy stuff probably taught them a thing or two. I can't say that I'm shocked that this happened, but it's good if he was willing to go to rehab. We've had cases where people rather get released than go to rehab.

• Like 2

I don't see how this can be a marijuana problem considering they play up those aspects of his personality; didn't they even give him a shirt with "4:20" on it? If it IS them banging on him for THC then that's bullshit. 

EDIT: Not that I have any sympathy towards Riddle

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

4) Vince has told people he wants to make a comeback and that he was given bad advice when he stepped down. He thinks the whole incident would have blown over. (It wouldn't.)

And the funny thing is, he's much richer now with HHH in charge (stock price hit $80 recently). But what's more important to him, money or being in charge? 

Edited by Dog

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

More Vince news in the WSJ. Anyone who said the WSJ would stop reporting on this was dead wrong. One of the best investigative reporters in the world is on this beat. https://www.wsj.com/articles/wwes-vince-mcmahon-faces-fresh-demands-from-women-alleging-sexual-abuse-11670945682

In sum:

3) Greg "The Hammer" Valentine surfaced in the article. He says Rita told him about the incidents in the 80s but he did not believe her because she was not attractive enough for Vince. 

Bret Hart said the same thing 🤦🏾‍♂️

21 hours ago, zendragon said:

I remember Noble being one of the reasons Velocity was must watch TV

21 hours ago, Zimbra said:

He was one of the masters of the 5-minute TV sprint.

21 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Velocity from 2002-2004 was arguably one of my favorite wrestling shows ever. As a kid, there was something magical about some late Saturday night wrestling.

Followed by Confidential!

I'm a C show guy through and through, but Velocity came a little later on when I was in high school, so being broadcast on Saturday nights, a lot of these episodes were either missed or watched through a OE HG800 haze. Your posts have definitely made me want to revisit at some point. I remember being there live for a really, really good Nunzio/Paul London match around '04ish where I guess evidently the finish was blown (I didn't notice at the time) but they ended up sending them back out to the ring for a reshoot (complete with an awkward London promo challenging him to 'another round'). And count me in as a fan of the Noble/Nidia pairing, as well - back around the last time I watched WWE, I was really hoping those two would pop up as Heath Slater's neighbors during those trailer park vignettes with Rhyno when they were chasing the SD tag belts.

• Like 2

More Details on Sasha Banks Working With NJPW

According to an initial report from Voices of Wrestling, Banks will be working with New Japan on a “per appearance deal at the highest price that Bushiroad has ever paid anyone.” Additionally, Bushiroad is going to be paying Banks even more than what they paid Chris Jericho for his recent stints and matchups in the promotion.

Meltzer stated that Jericho was making $100,000 per shot for his NJPW appearances, starting with his match with Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 12 in 2018. Meltzer indicated that the value for Jericho was quite good at a $100,000 per appearance, noting all the revenue Jericho drove for the company during his recent run. Additionally, Jericho’s $100,000 per appearance price is the reason NJPW stopped bringing him over.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Please no.

The absolute last thing AEW needs to be doing is another nWo style "WWE v Home Grown" invasion/stable war.

It worked for a short time in WCW because the kayfabe line was blurred.

Today you risk damaging people on both sides - The new signings risk getting "go away" heat because people are watching AEW specifically because it's not WWE. The Home Growns risk being seen as 'less than' or legitimately under pushed which was the problem in WWE in the first place.

If Mercedes turns up in AEW she should absolutely get a big match to kick things off but to build a story around all the ex WWE signings would be a huge mistake IMO.

Personally I'd have her come in and say that she only signed if she got a Women's Title match to start because she's that special.

Build to her vs Hayter.

Hayter squashes her in 3 minutes.

Now the story is that, as good as you think you are Mercedes, you're at the back of a long & talented line of women. If you want to prove that you're as good as you've been saying then get to work at climb the ladder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dog said:

And the funny thing is, he's much richer now with HHH in charge (stock price hit $80 recently). But what more important to him, money or being in charge? 

**looks at TSLA stock plummeting like a stone dropping into the Marianas Trench**

Uh, I'm going to guess "being in charge" based on recent evidence. 

(Yes, I know there's a general tech stock correction, but my point still stands.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Personally I'd have her come in and say that she only signed if she got a Women's Title match to start because she's that special.

Build to her vs Hayter.

Hayter squashes her in 3 minutes.

Now the story is that, as good as you think you are Mercedes, you're at the back of a long & talented line of women. If you want to prove that you're as good as you've been saying then get to work at climb the ladder.

As a massive Hayter Lover (shirt idea?) I can definitely get behind this in theory, but in practice: this might be a waste of money and Sasha.

I see the story you want to tell (and its a good one) but FAs on her level don't come around often enough IMO to warrant such a bold experiment/deviation from the norm.

And let me attempt to say this in a way that isn't incendiary toward any of the performers or management:

Personnel-wise, it seems to me like if this kind of angle isn't handled very, very carefully, it could easily end up turning into an express train to 'Doesn't work for me, brother' with a layover at Mindy's Bakery

• Like 4