DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

55 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Personally, I think Sasha should be patient, and prove to the WWE she doesn't need them. Go reinvent yourself for a year or two, or do it in AEW, and say screw them for the long haul. She's got a ton of charisma and as long as she doesn't walk out, she'll make it.

If she wants to stick to California-area shows, she would be a nice get for that rumored AAA show Mania weekend in Los Angeles - but New Japan and AAA historically don't play nice because of the existing NJPW/CMLL partnership, so it probably won't happen

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I said years ago that that Sasha needed to go and be a big fish in a small pond for a while. Prove to WWE that you are the star you think you are. Essentially the Cody Rhodes pathway of making yourself a big enough star that they give you what you want to go back.

Cody's WWE signing and current push was as much an admittance of his success as it was a pointed political choice to show that the door swung both ways and that some of the grass on the other side of the fence was still green. A way to make the Moxleys and Danielsons and Jerichos and at-the-time-CM Punks (i.e. willing ship-jumper main eventers) scratch their heads and wonder.

If Sasha jumps, puts a couple of years into AEW and goes back to WWE, who does that send a message to? Toni? Using Sasha as an unwitting sleeper agent to poach Jade?? A red carpet rolled out for Sasha's double-hypothetical return has way less leverage than the Cody situation. Not that it wouldn't happen, but there's less ancillary upside for WWE to care at a Cody-like level.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, Raziel said:

So Kairi (look, I love Tam, but she isn't winning that match)

According to Meltzer, Kairi wasn't initially booked to win the IWGP title. Booking was changed because Mayu hasn't signed a new contract yet.

24 minutes ago, Ace said:

According to Meltzer, Kairi wasn't initially booked to win the IWGP title. Booking was changed because Mayu hasn't signed a new contract yet.

...which is kinda odd. Not that I would have any real problem with Mayu being the first champ, but KAIRI being booked as the 1st champ does make all the sense of the world. Also, if someone wants more money and hasn't signed a new deal yet, I dunno why you book them to go all the way to the finals of a prestigious tournament. It also makes lesser sense that instead of doing KAIRI vs. Utami in the finals, they are doing that match with zero stakes at the big year end show. Such is life.

33 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

...which is kinda odd. Not that I would have any real problem with Mayu being the first champ, but KAIRI being booked as the 1st champ does make all the sense of the world. Also, if someone wants more money and hasn't signed a new deal yet, I dunno why you book them to go all the way to the finals of a prestigious tournament. It also makes lesser sense that instead of doing KAIRI vs. Utami in the finals, they are doing that match with zero stakes at the big year end show. Such is life.

To be fair Meltzer's joshi/Stardom rumors are more questionable than his other rumors. With Mayu though she did say something about plans to retire in around 2 years a good year ago. Most guessed 2024 would be the actual time, but maybe its 2023 instead. Mayu likely went all the way because it was a stronger story with the connection she and Kairi share. Utami/Kairi was likely supposed to happen earlier as well, but Kairi catching covid back in August likely threw things off.

Edited by Eivion

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

To be fair Meltzer's joshi/Stardom rumors are more questionable than his other rumors. With Mayu though she did say something about plans to retire in around 2 years a good year ago. Most guessed 2024 would be the actual time, but maybe its 2023 instead. Mayu likely went all the way because it was a stronger story with the connection she and Kairi share. Utami/Kairi was likely supposed to happen earlier as well, but Kairi catching covid back in August likely threw things off.

IMO the story to me is it sounds like KAIRI might not be long term with them either. They're running through the matches at break neck speed and kinda arbitrarily: wrestled Saya for the white belt, wrestled Mayu in the IWGP title tournament finals, wrestling Utami on 12/29, and then Tam at the Dome. So why not KAIRI vs. Mercedes Mone right off the bat?

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IMO the story to me is it sounds like KAIRI might not be long term with them either. They're running through the matches at break neck speed and kinda arbitrarily: wrestled Saya for the white belt, wrestled Mayu in the IWGP title tournament finals, wrestling Utami on 12/29, and then Tam at the Dome. So why not KAIRI vs. Mercedes Mone right off the bat?

Kairi is more of a special attraction in general so her matches trend bigger in scope on the average. Her match with Saya had been building for a few months with Saya being a big part of her return announcement. The challenge against Utami was made months ago as well. No idea how long she will be around, but I've never expected it to be much more than a couple of years if that.

Edited by Eivion

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Kairi is more of a special attraction in general so her matches trend bigger in scope on the average. Her match with Saya had been building for a few months with Saya being a big part of her return announcement. The challenge against Utami was made months ago as well. No idea how long she will be around, but I've never expected it to be much more than a couple of years if that.

I know all that, but to me, it feels strange without maybe a tag or six woman tag thrown in before hand. Granted, maybe they feel like they don't want to waste a KAIRI match on that especially when we regularly get bombarded with multi person matches. 

Either way, it feels like they have her for maybe a year and a certain number of dates. Good for her for getting that type of deal though.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Either way, it feels like they have her for maybe a year and a certain number of dates. Good for her for getting that type of deal though.

She runs a gym with her husband so it makes sense she doesn't want to do full time again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I remember Noble being one of the reasons Velocity was must watch TV

Velocity from 2002-2004 was arguably one of my favorite wrestling shows ever. As a kid, there was something magical about some late Saturday night wrestling.

Followed by Confidential!

• Like 7

It took me a minute to really get into Velocity. I think it's probably because I was more excited to get Jakked and Metal since we didn't get Shotgun Saturday Night in syndication. Funny thing is I don't remember much about either of those two shows besides being a showcase for Essa Rios (when he still had Lita) at one point and Perry Saturn killing Mike Bell. It was just matches that probably should have stayed dark matches. They at least got more out of that show when it became the Smackdown syndicated show.

• Like 1

I'm still mad they gave up on the central conceit of Shotgun Saturday Night and had it from regular arenas after like three months. To me, that was the penultimate time that a WWE B/C show (not counting developmental) was really interesting (the final time was Attitude-era Heat, of course). 

• Like 7

If Sasha Banks walks through the "forbidden door" (aew specifically), I see the only feud that could generate any media attention, being with Jade Cargill.  I know she holds the secondary women's title in the TBS title, and im sure matches with Thunder Rosa and Jamie Hayter would be great, but as far as coverage, wouldnt the "money" match, be "Dat Bish" vs "The Boss (bish)" ?

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Like 2