DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

If Kenny was likely or even 50/50 on leaving I doubt TK would be using him to only put over Death Triangle on his way out. He would at least be putting MJF over and maybe another one of the future pullers or would have been kept off tv after the Brawl Out. 

Omega is the biggest backer of the idea of making something new and lasting in wrestling of the original VPs I doubt he’ll leave AEW even after his in ring career is over. 

Kota I could see splitting his time between AEW and NOAH. Or he could fuck off and pop up in a random Mexico Indy for all we know the dude does his own thing no matter how strange it seems to anyone else.

1 hour ago, Red King said:

There's nothing on the net suggesting he will leave. Tony Khan himself loaned Omega to NJPW.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/tony-khan-reportedly-gave-blessing-for-kenny-omega-vs-will-ospreay-in-njpw/

To be fair, there was nothing about Cody either, other than his renegotiations were taking weirdly long and he threw in the barb one one promo about Tony not offering him the contract he wanted. 

(Sunday night) Dave: uhhh there’s something more to this story about Cody not signing yet

(Monday morning) Cody and Brandi are officially no longer a part of aew. 

I personally doubt he’s leaving, but in any sport we’d be talking about upcoming free agents, and I haven’t seen a single person mention that we are less than two months away from an aew world champion being a free agent. 

I'm not holding my breath on anyone staying until I see confirmation of it. I love Omega and the Elite, and think they are AEW, but money talks. Of course, it could be argued that Cody was an anomaly who always had a hard-on for being a top WWE superstar, and seems to be a bit of a belt mark too. Plus, he was unhappy and TK knew that, I assume, since he didn't keep him for the extra year. I'm not sure Omega really cares about being WWE champion or having some Mania moment. 

You know what I didn’t take into account…the nine or so months he was injured. And I guess his suspension could potentially be added to the back end. So I’m probably making much ado about nothing and he’s got another year left before he could leave, if he so chose. 

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

You know what I didn’t take into account…the nine or so months he was injured. And I guess his suspension could potentially be added to the back end. So I’m probably making much ado about nothing and he’s got another year left before he could leave, if he so chose. 

So… think that applies to our buddy Phil too?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Cody Rhodes isn't fat until he starts finishing matches with an awesome looking elbowdrop

This is true and I was by no means insinuating that Cody is getting fat, instead thinking he must have lost a lot of mass not being able to work out after the surgery and is now getting back up to where he's supposed to be for the eventual return to the ring. Sure, 240 may sound high, but when you are a tall guy like him, apparently it really isn't.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:04 AM, The Natural said:

I liked how Starrcade became the biggest PPV of WCW when it was moved to the last month of year. There's only a few memorable WWF December matches.

On 12/1/2022 at 6:04 AM, evidence said:

A reminder that it's been so long since I've watched the Bret vs Davey INY main event 

On 12/1/2022 at 6:14 AM, The Natural said:

That's the match I was thinking of when making that post. I too need to see it again. Haven't for ages. I remember preferring it to the SummerSlam 1992 match.

Fitting:

Some trivia for y'all, WWF In Your House 5: Season's Beatings VHS was given a 15 certificate in the UK. Very rare rating for WWF at that time.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be shocked shocked if Omega left. There's something...weird about the Bucks/Omega since they returned.

You had the weird "They're going to be on the PPV" throwaway announcement of their return (I actually completely missed it and I watched that episode, it wasn't until I was reading the thread on here that I realize it had been announced instead of the big event the return of three of your biggest stars should have been). They have had almost zero promo-time (Aside from Omega doing his go home routine this past week). They threw them into the weird Best of 7 feud with no real build-up or, again, promo-time. You have the little inside digs (the biting, the Go 2 Sleep, even the new theme is a weird sort-of dig). The announcers seem to be trying hard to praise the Bucks without talking too much about them.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they quietly go away after the Best of 7, with the California show being a pseudo-send-off.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fitting:

Some trivia for y'all, WWF In Your House 5: Season's Beatings VHS was given a 15 certificate in the UK. Very rare rating for WWF at that time.

Didn't the WWF Superstar line suggest that there was some sort of HIV scare around this match? I remember Jim Ross in some commercial talking about some health scare.

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Might be the best IYH singles match ever off the top of my head I'd only consider putting the pair of Austin v Foley matches above it

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Michaels/Mankind was also a ride although the finish probably hurts

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker from In House 18: Badd Blood gets my vote for best IYH match ever narrowly over Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind at In Your House 10: Mind Games. Two ***** matches there. I'd probably give the same to Steve Austin vs. Dude Love at Over the Edge: In Your House.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Didn't the WWF Superstar line suggest that there was some sort of HIV scare around this match? I remember Jim Ross in some commercial talking about some health scare.

I don't know. We didn't get In Your House over here till In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker.

1 hour ago, notoriusvig said:

12/26/95 Observer -

Then came the main event with Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith. The match was nothing short of fantastic, and featured the return to WWF of heavy juice by Hart. Announcer Vince McMahon, apparently in an effort to play both sides of the coin, ordered wide shots and apologized about the blood, I guess to placate the cable people who don't want blood on wrestling PPVs, while also trying to get over a rougher style because the old style just didn't cut it anymore. Hart's blood caused an ECW Arena like reaction of "He's hardcore".

USA Today, in a front page story by Andrea Stone on 12/18, complete with a photo of Severn about to punch Taktarov, portrayed the event as being a bloodbath with the rowdy crowd in Denver loving it.

Sen. Roy Goodman called it an "animalistic piece of subhuman behavior more akin to cockfighting than a human sport."
But while calling the event gory, it admitted the worst actual injuries were a fractured hand (actually a broken knuckle by Scott Bessac in an alternates match) and a minor neck contusion (by either Paul Varelans or Steve Jennum, both of whom appeared to be fine at the post-match party). Taktarov, as it becoming costume, bled a lot and needed a few stitches. Mark Hall, another alternate, received what was described as a minor break in the nasal cavity that didn't even need to be set to heal on its own.

The article quoted Dr. Richard Istrico, the UFC's doctor who has been a boxing doctor for 18 years in New York, as saying the politicians who condemn UFC are totally misinformed and obviously haven't seen it, and said he's seen no acute head injuries and said that football is much more violent.

Sounds like Vince was just trying to keep UFC's bad publicity away from WWE

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2