DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Matt really liking one of my favorite wrestlers makes me all warm inside.

Punk will be missed if they can’t come to an understanding once he’s not injured. Definitely brought a different type of match layout to AEW. Gutted we’ll probably never get another Danielson match, or versus Omega, or my personal AEW dream match in CMFTR vs The Elite.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Khan definitely hears criticism. But he also hears it in his own way and he has his own mental lines in the sand which may not be the same as what others see/feel. Like the ROH stuff. He's very firm that ROH stuff has been 100% kept off Dynamite except for when it comes to Jericho because he'd be on there anyway. That it's been relegated to Rampage mostly. But I don't think the fanbase necessary remembers what was on Rampage and what was on Dynamite when it comes to the midcard.

I'm glad he hears the criticism and listens/adjusts when it's constructive, but what he's saying isn't true at all.  Joe has defended the TV title on Dynamite several times, Wheeler Yuta and Garcia main evented in Buffalo for the pure title, I definitely saw Maria/Bennett/Taven at some point, PRINCE NANA (always welcome btw) and his crew.  It's kind of nitpicking, but I think Tony is the one who doesn't remember what's on what show in this case.  I couldn't tell you the last time I watched Rampage, all my ROH complaints have been strictly Dynamite related

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He also stopped at "it's..." on the one at 1:20, but you're just going to see what you're inclined to regardless. 

That was his Double or Nothing entrance right before he fought Hangman...where he also would have had boo boo face for obvious reasons

Good catch!

When Regal does go back to WWE, he will be working with Triple H on the main brands, as a producer. Producers in WWE is close to what Coaches are in AEW but not exactly the same. Regal won't be able to appear on WWE tv until 2024. Anyway thanks to Tony for clearing up things.

Tony does shoots into works, meaning take real life stuff and events and fold in it the AEW product, if not for angles than background history or even call backs or working the net or whatever else.

Edited by Red King

22 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I'm glad he hears the criticism and listens/adjusts when it's constructive, but what he's saying isn't true at all.  Joe has defended the TV title on Dynamite several times, Wheeler Yuta and Garcia main evented in Buffalo for the pure title, I definitely saw Maria/Bennett/Taven at some point, PRINCE NANA (always welcome btw) and his crew.  It's kind of nitpicking, but I think Tony is the one who doesn't remember what's on what show in this case.  

I'm with you, especially on Nana, but is this something that turned into telephone game ( @Matt D can't seem to tag) or did Khan actually suggest all the ROH stuff has been kept off Dynamite? I find that distinguishment from him both odd and funny.

3 minutes ago, Red King said:

When Regal does go back to WWE, he will be working with Triple H on the main brands, as a producer. Producers in WWE is close to what Coaches are in AEW but not exactly the same. Regal won't be able to appear on WWE tv until 2024. Anyway thanks to Tony for clearing up things.

I am very curious whether there's a loophole in the "coaching only, not as an onscreen talent" stipulation on Regal from TK.  If someone's primary job is producer and their contract lines out exactly how much of their job is backstage and how much is onscreen, I wonder if they can get away with it.  I don't consider Petey Williams getting blown up by Lashley as onscreen talent, he's a producer who got in the way.

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm with you, especially on Nana, but is this something that turned into telephone game ( @Matt D can't seem to tag) or did Khan actually suggest all the ROH stuff has been kept off Dynamite? I find that distinguishment from him both odd and funny.

Sometimes tagging works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Here's what he said on a podcast yesterday specifically:

"I saw somebody saying they thought there was too much Ring of Honor on Dynamite and I thought that was amusing because there's almost been no Ring of Honor on Dynamite in recent weeks, other than Chris Jericho and frankly, Chris Jericho should be on any wrestling show in the world he wants to be on."

So he did add "recent weeks," but then people can look at that however they want. I guess philosophically, what is ROH in December 2022? Is Brian Cage, who was a wrestler on the AEW roster for the last few years ROH? Is Nana when he's basically in the Tully Blanchard role? Toa was on Dark a few times in 2022. Is he ROH or AEW? Are there individual ROH contracts right now? Most of the ROH titles are in the hands of AEW guys so...

My argument has always been that this is a bunch of stuff he would have been doing anyway even if he didn't buy ROH. Toa was a prospect before ROH (we really wanted him to get signed!). He renewed Cage's contract before ROH, etc. The only guys I wonder if he would have picked up or not are Joe and Claudio, as they were the two ROH PPV surprises (even if Claudio came in earlier) and I imagine he would have anyway. The guy who really benefited was Dalton Castle.

Like I said, Khan hears/sees criticism, but then how he takes it is not always how I or you might take it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I am very curious whether there's a loophole in the "coaching only, not as an onscreen talent" stipulation on Regal from TK.  If someone's primary job is producer and their contract lines out exactly how much of their job is backstage and how much is onscreen, I wonder if they can get away with it.  I don't consider Petey Williams getting blown up by Lashley as onscreen talent, he's a producer who got in the way.

Breach of the deal and then suing time if that happened. He can't appear at all on WWE TV.

Regal made a point of not saying 

WOAHGAYMES~!1

on the Gentleman Villain podcast. I don't think he's going to be keen on breaking a handshake agreement not to be on TV.

If Regal was staying for a few more weeks, I really think they should have held off on the turn. Regal influencing MJF, even if it was in a more WCW restoldy type way...I think could have given his work an extra dimension.

I maintain that this whole MJF title run is the biggest mistake since....the CM Punk Title Run lol....but if they're going to do it, they should actually have him work jobbers on Rampage.

The truth is that the ROH Pure Title matches barely even involve the Pure Rules, and it's a junior title in disguise. In the end, AEW actually just needs to have that junior belt.

I think TK was right to take the plaudits for the awesome first few years of AEW, so it’s only fair he takes the criticism where it’s due. In hindsight I’m sure he regrets signing way too many WWE cast offs at once then also buying ROH at the same time.  I mean, sometimes these opportunities arise once so I can see why he did it, but it was a gamble that he is paying for now.  Hindsight’s a hell of a drug though.

15 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

I maintain that this whole MJF title run is the biggest mistake since....the CM Punk Title Run lol....but if they're going to do it, they should actually have him work jobbers on Rampage.

If I were doing as much spinning of positive business indicators to self-mythologize as he does, I'd be doing everything I could to never be seen on Rampage. And certainly not be seen wrestling. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Red King said:

Khan on Triple H tweeting a supercut of William Regal saying WarGames: “Honestly, given the spirit of the thing and how accommodating we were being, I was really surprised by the tweet with the supercut of him on it, especially since he’s still been with us and part of the shows. We’re still addressing him on the show and going into last week’s show, especially, he’s still a big part of our show. I was a little surprised by the supercut of him on Triple H’s Twitter, and given how accommodating we were being to the whole thing, I was not necessarily expecting to see that. I didn’t necessarily think it was in the spirit of how accommodating we were being about the whole thing, but whatever. The important thing is that it’s a situation that will be resolved and he will be able to be there and do the coaching and work with his son and the stuff that’s important to him, that he said, he was cool and okay with it being a release that he would not be appearing on TV next year.”

You can't be The Family Company Man who did the right thing in letting Regal go work with his son while also being mad about 3-year old footage you don't own being used on Twitter

Pick a lane, Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

No pull aparts from Regal. 

Revolution pre sale is tomorrow. I’m really curious how many ppv tickets they hold back as combo tickets. I understand the strategy but that’s the reason full gear and I believe all out didn’t sell out (I know at least one other ppv didn’t sell out due to people not going for combo tickets). People aren’t going to that rampage show so I would rather have the sold out ppv on the books and then just do your best loading up rampage and dynamite. We shall see how these shows do, I’m very curious after all this time for them to be making the area debut. Of course if it was a year ago I’d be a lot more bullish. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

You can't be The Family Company Man who did the right thing in letting Regal go work with his son while also being mad about 3-year old footage you don't own being used on Twitter

Pick a lane, Tony

I don't think the two things are logically inconsistent, honestly. Pretty unrelated.

Like all of us, Tony contains multitudes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1