DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Octopus said:

If 2022 was Dax’s year, who would we like to see face off against hair in: 2023 - Year of the Cash?

Wheeler should be the one to take on Jeff Jarrett between him and Dax.

Other good Wheeler ideas, first ones I've mentioned - Dr Luther, Hager (and his hat), Trent.

Ones I just thought of -  a returning Kyle O'Reilly, Christian Cage, Miro, Tony Nese.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Octopus said:

If 2022 was Dax’s year, who would we like to see face off against hair in: 2023 - Year of the Cash?

PAC, Rush, Brody King, Buddy Matthews, Danielson, Samoa Joe, Eddie Kingston, Jungle Boy and Adam Page. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm saying none of those things, obviously, since a) I didn't type them, and b) my internet wrestling board persona doesn't depend on fantasizing a bunch of unlikely scenarios and then asking everyone about the consequences of said scenarios based on my thin grasp of both reality and the law.

Didn't you just post this fantasy scenerio in another thread:

This is an interesting thought. If you drop 1998 Steve Austin into 1985 WWF, is he as big a star, or does the era + the territory's traditional fanbase still having a large influence on the product prevent Austin from being the star that he was thirteen years later. 

And as for this...

13 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

On another note, I have been reading here more because I am going to the Seattle show next month. I haven't seen an AEW show since maybe March of this year. Any new signings who work deliberate styles or fat-man tag teams I should look at who are working for AEW since I last saw any of it?

Why are you criticizing others for commenting on a product you admit to not having watched in 9 months?

Edited by Dolphman 3000

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Why are you criticizing others for talking about a product you admit you haven't watched in 9 months

He's criticizing your absurd what if's, not the product. 

16 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm saying none of those things, obviously, since a) I didn't type them, and b) my internet wrestling board persona doesn't depend on fantasizing a bunch of unlikely scenarios and then asking everyone about the consequences of said scenarios based on my thin grasp of both reality and the law.

On another note, I have been reading here more because I am going to the Seattle show next month. I haven't seen an AEW show since maybe March of this year. Any new signings who work deliberate styles or fat-man tag teams I should look at who are working for AEW since I last saw any of it?

For your second note Smellington, Swerve Strickland's got a deliberate style in the sense he's always going for something slick if that makes any sense, pairs well with Keith Lee who's your colossus of a man. 

While not specifically a fat man tag team, on the ROH side we've got The Gates of Agony as a part of the Embassy who are big hard hitters.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Tony Khan's an idiot. You mean to tell me that Khan signs a known wrestler now authority figure, gives him a faction, puts credible wrestlers in this faction including a younger wrestler who wants to emulate the other wrestlers in their style, makes merch for this faction, has the known wrestler/authority figure screw over the former World champion then he gets screwed over in a final segment all in less than a year?

Honestly, someone should take booking duties from him but there's no one to do that. Omega & the Bucks are happy main eventing dwindling audiences while wrestlers like Moxley and Jericho are probably wondering how quickly they can get out of their contracts too.

Yeah, the leap in logic from “non wrestler wants to go work with his best friend who stuck by him through multiple bouts of drug addiction AND his son, who is a very promising prospect” to “Tony Khan is a moron and everyone wants to leave” is baffling. Truly breathtaking. AEW doesn’t really have a developmental program. Whether or not they need one is another discussion, but why make a guy do a job he doesn’t want to when the job he wants to do isn’t one your company offers?

As far as Mox goes, it wouldn’t shock me if he’s one of the guys who told TK just to let Regal out of his deal. What actual

harm can letting a 50+ year old non wrestler go do AEW?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

How is a guy hypothesizing Steve Austin time traveling back to 1985 less absurd than hypothesizing The Elite jumping to WWE

Your act is more transparent than A_K's, and that's saying something.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, just drew said:

Yeah, the leap in logic from “non wrestler wants to go work with his best friend who stuck by him through multiple bouts of drug addiction AND his son, who is a very promising prospect” to “Tony Khan is a moron and everyone wants to leave” is baffling. Truly breathtaking. AEW doesn’t really have a developmental program. Whether or not they need one is another discussion, but why make a guy do a job he doesn’t want to when the job he wants to do isn’t one your company offers?

As far as Mox goes, it wouldn’t shock me if he’s one of the guys who told TK just to let Regal out of his deal. What actual

harm can letting a 50+ year old non wrestler go do AEW?

For real the guy just wants to be around his kid. Considering his past bouts with addiction he might not live till he’s 90 to watch his son wrestle. 

If TK gave him the out then good on him. 

Edited by FourPostMassacre
Spelling
  • Like 5

In 2019, Dustin Rhodes was under WWE contract and asked to be released so he could go to AEW and wrestle Cody at the first All Out. And WWE let him go.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

In 2019, Dustin Rhodes was under WWE contract and asked to be released so he could go to AEW and wrestle Cody at the first All Out. And WWE let him go.

And, if I remember correctly, that was the end of WWE. So, once again, we are forced to admit that the doomsayers are making a great point.

Also, let's remember the story of the boy who cried "Wolf!" 

As I recall, the boy kept yelling that there was a wolf among the sheep or goats and disaster was  immanent and everyone came running and he got to be the centre of attention for a while and everyone was happy and said, "Gee whiz, boy who keeps crying wolf even though there is no wolf, you sure are smart and cool."  And everybody liked him and we all learned something . So there's that as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If Kenny and the Bucks pull a nWo and show up on WWE television as "The Elite", and declare that they're invaders from "down South in Jacksonville"...you're saying there would be no grounds for a lawsuit since the Bucks own "Elite" and there wouldn't be any brand confusion? Or are you saying Tony would have grounds to defend his brand just like Vince did in 1996?

How are you this bad at how trademarks work? "The Elite" is a trademark for specific people. Kenny & the Bucks own that. They can be called "The Elite" anywhere they want. That ad "Being The Elite are owned by them. Just because the word 'elite' appears in both trademarks, doesn't mean they can kibosh anything using that word. The specific trademark "All Elite Wrestling" is a completely different trademark than "The Elite". It relates to the name of a business, not people.

The "World' Best Wrestling" idea was actually one of The Buck's ideas before "All Elite Wrestling" came up. They (Tony & The Elite) looked into it and someone already owned that trademark. That doesn't factor into this at all. Tony & Shad Khan's LLC own "All Elite Wrestling". Full stop. Legally The Elite have no claim to that name or any possible way to force The Khans to change their trademark.

I kinda hope people are right and you're just trolling lol, because this is a pretty common sense thing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't say Tony Khan is an idiot, but I do think he went on a way too heavy signing spree and signed way too many guys just to sign them and without really thinking about their place on the roster long-term.

Also, even if Regal's time in AEW was brief, you got some pretty good mileage out of him, and he got to be in some classic wrestling segments. 

https://youtu.be/alncMQV-Au4

So chances are by this time, the top brass already knew Regal was gone in few weeks. So considering that, and how they wrote him out, I think that was a brilliant way to do it because it kind of brought things full circle.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

How is a guy hypothesizing Steve Austin time traveling back to 1985 less absurd than hypothesizing The Elite jumping to WWE

Because, while unlikely, the time travel scenario could plausably happen?

• Haha 2