DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Octopus said:

The only way it changes names is if their is an animal preservation company with the same initials.

And they didn't even have to change it until they started breaching the agreements with the World Wildlife Fund.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Cursory search shows the trademark All Elite Wrestling is owned by AEW LLC which is Shad and Tony Khan.

Being the Elite is owned by the Bucks caused it looks like Michael Dockins secured that one for them.

I dunno why you would want to try to wrestle that trademark away from them when their (the Khan family) lawyers would crush you in court.

Michael Dockins registered "The Elite" on 8/12/2021 for the Bucks, but look what the listing clarifies:

"FIRST USE: 20160105. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20160105"

The "All Elite Wrestling" trademark was filed 11/5/2018 with this clarification:

"FIRST USE: 20190101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20190101"

Bucks' usage of the term would predate AEW by 3 years

Jericho just signed a 5 year deal with AEW so I don’t think he’s looking to bolt as soon as he can.

I’m so confused as to why Regal possibly leaving is suppose to be this big doom sign for AEW. Someone who’s contract may be up is leaving to go to another company it happens all the time.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Michael Dockins registered "The Elite" on 8/12/2021 for the Bucks, but look what the listing clarifies:

"FIRST USE: 20160105. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20160105"

The "All Elite Wrestling" trademark was filed 11/5/2018 with this clarification:

"FIRST USE: 20190101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20190101"

Bucks' usage of the term would predate AEW by 3 years

They would have to prove that they used the actual term All Elite Wrestling prior to the genesis of All Elite Wrestling.

I mean for example Mayumi Ozaki used the term OZ Academy prior to their being an actual promotion called OZ Academy in 1998. It started out as a stable then turned into a full fledged promotion that still runs today.

The Elite would have needed to use the term AEW prior to their being an actual AEW. They own the trademark The Elite but they don't own the usage of the word elite.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Jericho just signed a 5 year deal with AEW so I don’t try ink he’s looking to bolt as soon as he can.

I’m so confused as to why Regal possibly leaving is suppose to be this big doom sign for AEW. Someone who’s contract may be up is leaving to go to another company it happens all the time.

It's likely because it's a hope that maybe Tony Khan realizes he's in a bit in over his head and he needs someone to stabilize the storylines in his promotion rather than what he is currently doing now. As was mentioned Khan threatened legal action to wrestlers for even talking with the WWE. He needs an adult in the room and someone like Regal along with others would be that person. Jim Ross, for example, went from being more involved and suggesting creative ideas to now just showing up to be an announcer periodically.

So no Regal leaving doesn't spell doom for AEW, but it's not good either.

Edited by Andrew POE!

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Elite would have needed to use the term AEW prior to their being an actual AEW. They own the trademark The Elite but they don't own the usage of the word elite.

Hulk Hogan's Micro Championship Wrestling changed to Micro Championship Wrestling after he left the promotion

Tony Khan Reveals The Original Planned Name For AEW

“It wasn’t AEW to begin with. Actually, my first idea was something called ‘World’s Best Wrestling’ which, at the end of the day, similar meaning to All Elite Wrestling trying to say we’re doing great wrestling.”

Again, Regal’s kid is in the WWE system. His entire life’s mission at this point seems to be ensuring young wrestlers have a safe, fair path and things are better for them than they were for him even if he sees his life as a charmed one. Hunter is one of his closest friends and they understand each other without even the need to speak and he’d be right beside him all the way to hell if he needed him. 

Regal leaving AEW is a shame for AEW but the reason he’s leaving likely has absolutely nothing to do with AEW and everything to do with Regal and his loyalties and his ties. When it became obvious Hunter was being pulled from exile to take over, this was apparently inevitable and he’s putting over their new lead heel on the way out by letting himself look like a moron and doing a stretcher job playing on his well publicized real life issues after MJF cut a promo trying to get heat with Triple H’s name right in front of him. 

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Hulk Hogan's Micro Championship Wrestling changed to Micro Championship Wrestling after he left the promotion

Tony Khan Reveals The Original Planned Name For AEW

None of that has anything to do with the trademark. Tony Khan owns the trademark All Elite Wrestling until he doesn't want to own it anymore.

34 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

As was mentioned Khan threatened legal action to wrestlers for even talking with the WWE.

Promoters have done that in the past though. 1996/1997 was much, much uglier than anything that's happened in the recent past to the point where it felt like there was a lawsuit damn near every month. 

And here's the thing: when you ask for someone to be the adult in the room, unfortunately as a promoter, that is part of your responsibilities. You cannot have contract tampering. Hell, I am safely assuming that was something that was passed up the chain to Tony from their legal department and not TK freestyling. I say that as historically, there have been things in the past where McDevitt had to step in and tell Vince, "yeah, no, that cannot be happening.". We saw some of the same things in WCW. That has nothing to do with creative. 

As for Regal, his presence ultimately is to be an on camera talent, not some intercessor between TK and the rest of the roster. Moreover, everything at the end of the day runs through the promoter. If the adult in the room isn't Tony Khan, then there won't be an adult in the room period. Same with Vince when he had all his consiglieres like Bruce, JR, Cornette, Patterson, and a few others. Besides KotR 1994 where he physically couldn't be there and a few TV tapings, everything creatively up until he got ousted, he had a hand in. Did he come up with every single idea? No, but if he didn't get his approval, it wasn't airing 9 out of 10 times. And there were long stretches where WWF/WWE had some downright horrendous TV. The key though is at least for awhile Vince knew it was terrible and decided he had to make some changes. It wouldn't matter what his trusted comrades did if Vince himself didn't step in and do something. In addition to that, it didn't happen overnight. Sometimes it took several months for Vince to get out of a creative funk. Shit, there were times in WWF where it seemed like he was out of one and then jumped right back into another one. As a wrestling fan, you probably need to get use to that. If promoters and bookers could turn everything around in the matter of weeks and with a touch of a button, the territories would still be around. 

• Like 9

Didn't Regal say he didn't want any sort of talent relations job in AEW as he got tired of that in WWE/NXT (or am I maybe thinking of JR)? You can say he may have not been utilized to his fullest potential, but if he's not interested in doing such a position then it's not like he could have carried it out. Regardless of the situation it seems like the speculation and distorted newz via a game of locker room telephone has increased exponentially since AEW became a thing. At the end of the day wrestling promotions are companies and leaving a job because of issues with management and then returning because the manager you're friends with and has always done right by you takes over is nothing new or novel in the work world.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Didn't Regal say he didn't want any sort of talent relations job in AEW as he got tired of that in WWE/NXT (or am I maybe thinking of JR)?

It was Regal. I recall him mentioning being done with that kind of work several times in clips from his podcast.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Although it was more like Gooker mistreating Mean Gene, making the poor bastard attempt a cartwheel with near catastrophic results.

You're absolutely right. However, by the way that whole thing was going and the fact it went on forever, it would have been more catastrophic if the fans started throwing trash in the ring live on PPV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Here's a hell of a question - if Kenny and the Bucks own a trademark on "The Elite" for wrestling purposes...can Tony still call it "All Elite Wrestling" if they leave?

You have to make your concern trolls more camouflaged so they aren't apparently concern trolls.

The question doesn't even segue properly from my post that you responded to, and your follow up to Elsalvaje's answer is a too-desperate attempt to deliberately misunderstand the basics of copyright that even us message board lawyers would know 

2/10, don't try again with game this weak.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The question doesn't even segue properly from my post that you responded to, and your follow up to Elsalvaje's answer is a too-desperate attempt to deliberately misunderstand the basics of copyright that even us message board lawyers would know

If Kenny and the Bucks pull a nWo and show up on WWE television as "The Elite", and declare that they're invaders from "down South in Jacksonville"...you're saying there would be no grounds for a lawsuit since the Bucks own "Elite" and there wouldn't be any brand confusion? Or are you saying Tony would have grounds to defend his brand just like Vince did in 1996?

Edited by Dolphman 3000

The trolls are trying too hard if they are selling the potential loss of Regal as a big deal. He's strictly a seldom-used on-screen character, it would be a bigger deal if he had a backstage role. If TK knew that Regal's contract was ending soon, or had an out, they've known since before this entire current storyline started. As far as we knew, they cooked this up in October to give Regal's character a two-month "out" storyline to put a bow on his run in AEW. To put over MJF on his way out. Either way he's not a key player, the BCC was a fun but really loose faction that rarely involved Regal, and if he never shows up in AEW again its not going to ruin anything or even matter to what they are doing.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If Kenny and the Bucks pull a nWo and show up on WWE television as "The Elite", and declare that they're invaders from "down South in Jacksonville"...you're saying there would be no grounds for a lawsuit since the Bucks own "Elite" and there wouldn't be any brand confusion? Or are you saying Tony would have grounds to defend his brand just like Vince did in 1996?

I'm saying none of those things, obviously, since a) I didn't type them, and b) my internet wrestling board persona doesn't depend on fantasizing a bunch of unlikely scenarios and then asking everyone about the consequences of said scenarios based on my thin grasp of both reality and the law.

On another note, I have been reading here more because I am going to the Seattle show next month. I haven't seen an AEW show since maybe March of this year. Any new signings who work deliberate styles or fat-man tag teams I should look at who are working for AEW since I last saw any of it?

• Like 2