DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

So is Tony Khan lying about the long-term deals people are getting signed to (Regal was initially reported as 3 years), or is he just letting people out of their contracts whenever they ask

Have we actually seen anyone released and return to WWE? Have any of the former WWE guys who were supposedly wanting to be released actually left?

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Have we actually seen anyone released and return to WWE? Have any of the former WWE guys who were supposedly wanting to be released actually left?

Only Cody.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I thought it was interesting that Malakai Black himself a while back was saying him having five years left in AEW was BS when Tony Khan was the one who put that information out to the public.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JLowe said:

he wasn't released, his contract expired and they couldn't come to terms for a new one.

Aew had an option year but Tony didn’t exercise it because Cody wanted out/they couldn’t agree on a new deal/whatever that story is. 

Edit: also I believe the story was they started working on a new deal which continued past the cut off date for picking up the option, so I guess at that point cody was a free agent. But if Tony wanted he could’ve just picked up the fourth year. 

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

AEW signings in 2022:

Fi6JVqaXEAA5bUN?format=jpg&name=large

Top 5:

5. Toni Storm.

4. Wheeler Yuta.

3. Claudio Castagnoli.

2. William Regal.

1. Konosuke Takeshita.

Honourable mention to Renee Paquette, Samoa Joe and Keith Lee.

Bottom 5:

5. Paige Van Zant

4. Saraya

3. Jeff Jarrett

2. Jeff Jarrett

1. Jeff Jarrett

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

AEW signings in 2022:

Top 5:

5. Toni Storm.

4. Wheeler Yuta.

3. Claudio Castagnoli.

2. William Regal.

1. Konosuke Takeshita.

I'm in agreement of your top 4, #5 for me would be Danhausen.

Bottom 5 (down to 1)

5. AQA (sadly retired before anything ever happened)

4. VanZant (though not her fault, Cody and Brandi leaving threw a wrench in what they plan would've been)

3. Saraya (I'm happy for her coming back from injury but there's a gap in how far everyone else has come along and where she left off)

1b.Jake Atlas (did nothing, got arrested)

1a. Jeff Hardy (do I need to go into why?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

AEW signings in 2022:

Top 5:

5. Toni Storm.

4. Wheeler Yuta.

3. Claudio Castagnoli.

2. William Regal.

1. Konosuke Takeshita.

Great signings all around. *fart sound to the bloated roster theorists. I really hope Jake Atlas can pull things together and get back on the saddle. I also hope we see a freshly trained Paige again. She has such natural charisma.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I'm in agreement of your top 4, #5 for me would be Danhausen.

Bottom 5 (down to 1)

5. AQA (sadly retired before anything ever happened)

4. VanZant (though not her fault, Cody and Brandi leaving threw a wrench in what they plan would've been)

3. Saraya (I'm happy for her coming back from injury but there's a gap in how far everyone else has come along and where she left off)

1b.Jake Atlas (did nothing, got arrested)

1a. Jeff Hardy (do I need to go into why?)

I didn't include Hardy because that was actually a hot angle with some decent matches before the inevitable. I forgot about Atlas' arrest but he got hurt in his first AEW match so I was giving him a pass for that; at this point he's fungible anyway. Didn't know that about AQA, but I also forgot she was even All Elite.

• Like 2

Why are people thinking Tony Khan will get Sasha Banks / Mercedes Varnado for William Regal? AEW needs Sasha more than Sasha needs AEW. She could go the Dave Batista route and line herself movie / TV roles and not even go back to the WWE either. Unless that's just an one-off thing with The Mandalorian and she burned her bridges with WWE.

Based on the usual 'booking' of women in AEW, Sasha Banks would be better off trying to get back to the WWE if she needs the money.

Better question is why didn't Tony Khan try to lock down William Regal for even longer and let him have a more creative / administrative role or an on-screen authority role with the company? It seems like Tony Khan can't win these days.

3 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Why are people thinking Tony Khan will get Sasha Banks / Mercedes Varnado for William Regal?

why people think Regal [will be / has been released from his] or [was working without a] contract is bonkers to me. and there has literally never been a pro wrestling trade, so the fact that people are flocking to that idea is even more insane. IF (HUGE IF) Sasha joins AEW it will be after her WWE contract expires. Why there's even conjecture about that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

**insert "prove me wrong" meme here**

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Why are people thinking Tony Khan will get Sasha Banks / Mercedes Varnado for William Regal? AEW needs Sasha more than Sasha needs AEW. She could go the Dave Batista route and line herself movie / TV roles and not even go back to the WWE either. Unless that's just an one-off thing with The Mandalorian and she burned her bridges with WWE.

Based on the usual 'booking' of women in AEW, Sasha Banks would be better off trying to get back to the WWE if she needs the money.

Better question is why didn't Tony Khan try to lock down William Regal for even longer and let him have a more creative / administrative role or an on-screen authority role with the company? It seems like Tony Khan can't win these days.

I agree with you on both parts, I felt the same way the first time Sasha was away and I don't see AEW as a good place for her any more today either. They've got some good talent but only Brit Baker is the only possible money match. A Saraya match has a built in story but other than that you have a few matchups that might be excellent work wise but nothing that could draw viewers at this point. 

It would suck if Regal is leaving but for him his value as an on screen talent has risen if he goes back to WWE. If he does return he'll probably be on NXT but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter has him on the main roster, at least starting out an then put him back on NXT TV unless Tony Kahn has a deal were he can't show up on WWE TV for part of his release.

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

why people think Regal [will be / has been released from his] or [was working without a] contract is bonkers to me. and there has literally never been a pro wrestling trade, so the fact that people are flocking to that idea is even more insane. IF (HUGE IF) Sasha joins AEW it will be after her WWE contract expires. Why there's even conjecture about that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

**insert "prove me wrong" meme here**

Are we counting the Watts/Jarrett talent swap in 1983/4 as a trade? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I agree with you on both parts, I felt the same way the first time Sasha was away and I don't see AEW as a good place for her any more today either. They've got some good talent but only Brit Baker is the only possible money match. A Saraya match has a built in story but other than that you have a few matchups that might be excellent work wise but nothing that could draw viewers at this point. 

It would suck if Regal is leaving but for him his value as an on screen talent has risen if he goes back to WWE. If he does return he'll probably be on NXT but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter has him on the main roster, at least starting out an then put him back on NXT TV unless Tony Kahn has a deal were he can't show up on WWE TV for part of his release.

I really don't see Britt Baker/Sasha Banks being a money match in AEW either. Britt Baker has kind of reached her limit with AEW (honestly she would do a lot better in WWE versus Becky Lynch/Charlotte/Bayley/Sasha Banks if Sasha goes back as the 5th female wrestler in the mix for titles) so unless she wins the AEW women's title from Hayter not sure what else she could do. Who else could she feud with? Rebel (not to be sexist, but she's better as a manager)? Niho? Nyla Rose? Tay Melo? Anna Jay? Penelope Ford (does she even still work at AEW)?

Sasha could feud with Jade Cargill (although the gas is running out on her and she's sorta terrible), Saraya (like you said and provided she stays healthy and not get injured) and maybe Thunder Rosa (if she ever comes back to wrestling; part of me feels like she's going to be announcing her retirement soon due to her injuries).

Women's wrestling in AEW is surprisingly barren.

Edited by Andrew POE!