DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

What Georgia does right now is clearly QB-proof. They just won back-to-back titles with Stetson Bennett. It’s *highly* likely that whoever they replace him with next year is significantly more talented.

Saban has historically been really good with a new QB. 3 of his 6 natties at Bama have been with a first year starter, and he’s made the CFP finals with one two other times. (Depending on how you categorize Tua coming in to save the day at the half in 2017, it could even be as much as 4 out of 6.)

I wouldn’t worry so much about those two. They’re gonna keep doing what they do.

A QB drop-off is more potentially dangerous for Ohio State, just because they clearly have so many other issues on defense and with the running game. Stroud was the one leg holding this table up. But they’ve always had the next guy up since Urban/Day have been there, so I suspect they’ll have the guy in 2023.

Clemson…is in real trouble. Dabo tried to stay the course and be loyal to his guys this year, and it didn’t work. I know that’s a weird thing to say about the ACC Champs, but the fact is that the rest of the ACC regressed in 2022, which is why Clemson was able to reclaim the throne while still functionally being the exact same, deeply flawed team from 2021. If Dabo doesn’t shake up how he’s doing things this offseason, I think the Clemson run as a national power is probably over.

If we’re looking for a usurper in 2023, I think Florida State is the team to watch. They bring back a lot of their key players from this surprise 10-win team, and they have been killing it in the transfer portal. They’re arming up to make a run at a championship. The ACC is certainly ripe for the taking.

I don’t know if USC could ever be considered a usurper considering their pedigree, but if they could just be, like, the 57th defense in the country instead of 107th, they would be a tough out for most teams.

Although, if you want to talk about a true darkhorse team in 2023, let me tell you a story about a time long ago.

A story about the last back-to-back national champion SEC team who entered the season in search of a three-peat.

And a story about their hated rivals, who were coming off a losing season and starting over with a new, offensive-minded coach.

This is a story about the year 2013.

A story about the Auburn fucking Tigers.

[/true crime podcaster voice]

We are way overdue for an Auburn Chaos Year.

And just like in 2013, this is one of those seasons where Auburn gets Bama and UGA at Jordan-Hare.

41 minutes ago, EVA said:

And just like in 2013, this is one of those seasons where Auburn gets Bama and UGA at Jordan-Hare.

...and the roster revamp through the transfer portal might be going very unnoticed by many. I'm actually considering getting season tix next season, and I'm far from excited about Freeze, but it's definitely been a Freeze warning. Auburn is a minimum 7 win team next year with how the schedule shakes out. 

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Although, if you want to talk about a true darkhorse team in 2023, let me tell you a story about a time long ago.

A story about the last back-to-back national champion SEC team who entered the season in search of a three-peat.

And a story about their hated rivals, who were coming off a losing season and starting over with a new, offensive-minded coach.

This is a story about the year 2013.

A story about the Auburn fucking Tigers.

[/true crime podcaster voice]

My "not exactly a dark horse, but kinda" pick is Penn State. If Drew Allar is as good as advertised, he's got a lot of talent around him. 

Also, I'm deeply nervous about something. This is the first time in a long long time that I legitimately think at this point that Michigan has a real shot to win the national title next year.

The last time I felt that way at the end of the season was 2006, with Henne and Hart coming back. Right up until Appalachian State. They haven't been, IIRC, preseason top 5 since then, but I'm pretty sure they will be this year.

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, I'm deeply nervous about something. This is the first time in a long long time that I legitimately think at this point that Michigan has a real shot to win the national title next year.

The last time I felt that way at the end of the season was 2006, with Henne and Hart coming back. Right up until Appalachian State. They haven't been, IIRC, preseason top 5 since then, but I'm pretty sure they will be this year.

If Harbaugh comes back, yep, you're right. They've got everyone coming back, I think. Maybe not Ronnie Bell? Not sure but they've got a load of guys coming back. Another year of seasoning on JJ, and maybe remembering to not go full Don Brown Defense in the CFP and they're into the title game. 

If you put stock in Bill Connelly's/ESPN's SP+ rankings, Iowa finished first overall in defense (by a fairly wide margin, 3.5 against 5.8 for Illinois, with Georgia third at 6.7) and 118(!) on offense.

As expected, Kevin Warren is leaving the B1G to work for the Chicago Bears. 

I don’t think he enjoyed his time in the college ranks, but it must be gratifying to slap the biggest TV deal in history down on the table and walk away.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

As expected, Kevin Warren is leaving the B1G to work for the Chicago Bears. 

I don’t think he enjoyed his time in the college ranks, but it must be gratifying to slap the biggest TV deal in history down on the table and walk away.

Hell, there was very little chance he was ever going to do anything more impactful than he already has. Why not get out now? 

Brandon Streeter is out as OC at Clemson. TCU's Garrett Riley is reportedly being poached to replace him.

I do wonder if Soybean Wind is gonna end up like Pete Carroll during the back stretch of his USC run, where after losing his coordinators he kept building good, competitive teams that could win the conference, but never got back to the national title level.

Georgia OL Devin Willock was killed in a car crash along with a football program staff member last night.  Two other teammates were involved in the crash and are in stable condition.  

He was 20. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Michigan's President announced that Harbaugh told him today that he (Harbaugh) is staying at Michigan

Gee, a washed-up quarterback that calls audibles from an entirely different team wasn't appealing enough to bring Jim back to the NFL? 

Michigan should be really, really good again next year. Pretty much all of their key guys are coming back. If they can just not lose their minds, like they did against TCU, they've got a very real shot at a national title. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:06 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Michigan Co-offensive coordinator/QBs coach Matt Weiss is on a leave of absence while being investigated for "computer access crimes."

No word on what he allegedly was hacking.

Update: he's been fired

On 1/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, Brian Fowler said:

No word on what he allegedly was hacking.

"an employee reported fraudulent activity involving someone accessing university email accounts without authorization" 

is what MLive is saying. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

"an employee reported fraudulent activity involving someone accessing university email accounts without authorization" 

is what MLive is saying. 

I'm sure the words 'co-ed',  '19 years old', 'stalking', and 'affair' will be in follow-up articles.  

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 7:14 AM, RIPPA said:

Ed Reed has been named HC at Bethune-Cookman

If you have seen pictures of Ed Reed recently - he already looks like he has been beaten down by the recruiting trail

Reed announced today that Bethune-Cookman's trustees have rejected Reed's contract and he will not be coaching them after all.