DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

ESPN/ABC Week 1 Schedule
ESPN and ABC will feature 12 games on their air during the first full week of the college football season (all times ET):

Thursday, Aug. 31
Florida at Utah, 8 p.m., ESPN

Friday, Sept. 1
Louisville vs. Georgia Tech (Atlanta), 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Saturday, Sept. 2
Virginia vs. Tennessee (Nashville, Tenn.), Noon, ABC
Arkansas State at Oklahoma, Noon, ESPN
Boise State at Washington, 3:30 p.m., ABC
UMass at Auburn, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
New Mexico at Texas A&M, 7 p.m., ESPN
North Carolina vs. South Carolina (Charlotte, N.C.), 7:30 p.m., ABC
Coastal Carolina at UCLA, 10:30 p.m., ESPN

Sunday, Sept. 3
Jackson State vs. Florida A&M (Miami Gardens, Fla.), 3 p.m., ESPN
LSU vs. Florida State (Orlando, Fla.), 7:30 p.m., ABC

Monday, Sept. 4
Clemson at Duke, 8 p.m., ESPN

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

SEC sticking with 8 conference games for at least 2024. Kinda surprising but we'll see if they change it for 2025 or not.

They are also officially going without divisions starting in 2024

2023 Blue-Chip Ratio just dropped. Behold the 16 teams with the depth of talent necessary to win the national championship this season:

Chaos Auburn is definitely in play, as they sneak in just above the predictive 50% threshold. (Though if you factor in transfers, they drop to 47%.)

Interestingly, FSU, who will be a dark horse natty choice for a lot of pundits, didn’t even come close, with just a 38% BCR. Even counting their massive influx of transfers this offseason, that only bumps them up to 41%. They may not be as close as we assumed.

Edited by EVA

And Clemson, Oregon, and Miami will join the very second they can get out of their GOR and they get an offer.

As Bud writes in the article, you can definitely track the consolidation of power over the last decade through the BCR. As recently as 2017, Bama would be the only team you’d see over 70%, now there are 8 teams in that range.

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

WHO, EVER, WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THIS POSSIBLE??

This is my shocked face. . . .A quick google search says there are 15,000 Division I football players, so at $500 a pop, roughly $7.5 million.  Best part of NCAA football is making you own five star players anyway, or am I the only one to make 7ft 400 lb DT with all the stats maxed?

Big 10 announced conference games for 2024 and 2025 as well as the basic outline of how the schedule works.

Iowa has three protected rivalry games they'll play every year

Five schools have two protected

Nine have one protected

Penn State doesn't have a protected rivalry game at all.

Three opponents each year will be played in back to back years in home and home format while the rest of the schedule will rotate every year. Which means Iowa will only ever have back to back year games against it's three rivals.

This feels... Needlessly complex imo.

Oh and here's the list of permanent games

Illinois vs. Northwestern

llinois vs. Purdue

Indiana vs. Purdue

Iowa vs. Minnesota

Iowa vs. Nebraska

Iowa vs. Wisconsin

Maryland vs. Rutgers

Michigan vs. Michigan State

Michigan vs. Ohio State

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin

UCLA vs. USC

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, EVA said:

Chaos Auburn is definitely in play, as they sneak in just above the predictive 50% threshold. (Though if you factor in transfers, they drop to 47%.

BrAUther Hugh definitely has a lot of people slowly drinking the kool-aid. I could see wagering over 6.5, but my ceiling is 8 wins.

I think some people are talking themselves into 9-3.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maryland vs. Rutgers

Folks locally are using this as another example of how bad a move going to the Big 10 was for Maryland (obviously not financially and that was the whole reason they moved in the first place)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Folks locally are using this as another example of how bad a move going to the Big 10 was for Maryland (obviously not financially and that was the whole reason they moved in the first place)

Both schools wanted the game. Probably because it gives at least one cheap travel road game every other year and, especially for Maryland, guarantees a winnable conference game every year.

You have to understand that Maryland alumni are just as unhinged as the fan base of the NFL team and believe they are on the same level as Penn State, OSU and Michigan

On 6/8/2023 at 12:44 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

WHO, EVER, WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THIS POSSIBLE??

On the one hand, I'm not sure how much EA can realistically lay out in total license fees for players.  

That said, $500 for each player is an awful lot like what Topps used to give players back in the day (except then it was like $10) that helped get Marvin Miller and the MLBPA going.

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that the CFPA is a totally made-up thing with no real power or influence. They’re grandstanding on this to try to get some traction. The vast majority of players will take the free $500 and enjoy seeing themselves immortalized in polygons.

My hunch is that EA will enter into separate, individual NIL deals with the star players who legitimately could command more money as part of the marketing for the game, in order to secure their likenesses.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 10:15 AM, EVA said:

My hunch is that EA will enter into separate, individual NIL deals with the star players who legitimately could command more money as part of the marketing for the game, in order to secure their likenesses.

I was actually going to say this same thing. For example, if it was coming out this year like initially intended, Caleb Williams would be making significantly more than $500.

Also, it's probably worth noting this franchise moves numbers, but it's not FIFA or Madden numbers. That could change given it's been a decade, but  NCAA 14 sold roughly 1 Million copies.

• Like 2

Les Miles just officially became ineligible for the college football hall of fame today.

Vadal Alexander was paid a bit under $200k from a booster (who apparently embezzled the funds from a Baton Rouge children's hospital so...) and the NCAA vacated all the Tigers wins from 2012-2015.

It drops Miles from being 145-73 (.665) to 108-73 (.597) and a coach has to have won at least 60% of his games to be eligible.

Not that he necessarily would have or deserves to get in, but it's an interesting wrinkle.

Edit: of course, if he had never taken the Kansas job his official record would be 105-55 (.656)

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

This is going to be an interesting story to watch play out this season.

As the story notes, last time Army tried to get away from the triple option, it was a disaster.

The unwritten part of this story is that Monken has been trying to leave Army for a P5 job for years but can’t get any traction because he’s perceived as a triple option guy and nobody is in the market for that (though he was runner-up at Kansas this last time). Clearly, a big part of his motivation is to prove to future prospective employers that he isn’t just that. Hopefully he doesn’t tank Army in the process.

• Like 1

Good luck. They just don't have the horses to compete straight up. Doc Blanchard ain't walking through the door anytime soon and it wouldn't matter if he did.