DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized this hadn't been mentioned

Kliff Kingsbury will be joining USC's staff for real this time

He will join Lincoln Riley's staff as "senior offensive analyst"

On 4/16/2023 at 12:11 AM, Brian Fowler said:

In news that shouldn't be surprising, Quinn Ewers is coming out of spring football the starter for Texas.

The Mannings weren't expecting for Arch to be competing for starter, and the plan that was discussed all along was for him to redshirt. 

I think that, among a lot of people, there was a belief/expectation/(hope?) that Arch would show up looking like A MANNING and force his way into the starter discussion by virtue of his undeniable talent.

As opposed to looking like a lost, overmatched freshman, which is what they got.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I think that, among a lot of people, there was a belief/expectation/(hope?) that Arch would show up looking like A MANNING and force his way into the starter discussion by virtue of his undeniable talent.

As opposed to looking like a lost, overmatched freshman, which is what they got.

Imagine that - a dude who can't even keep track of his ID being not quite ready. 

Honestly, who was the last true freshmen to win the starting QB job at a major program?

I assume there's at least a couple past Henne in 04, but I don't think there's very many.

(Henne was great for a freshman. And he never really improved in four years as a starter.)

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, who was the last true freshmen to win the starting QB job at a major program?

I assume there's at least a couple past Henne in 04, but I don't think there's very many.

(Henne was great for a freshman. And he never really improved in four years as a starter.)

I'm struggling to think of one. All the names coming to mind were redshirt freshmen. 

I’m certain I’m forgetting someone, but the closest I’m getting right now is Jalen Hurts in 2016. He was not technically the starter for the first game, but he was scripted to enter the game on the third series…and then he never left, despite not playing particularly well for his first few drives. It was clear that the coaches considered him the real QB1 and that the other guy starting was just theater.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Shane Buechele did it at Texas (ironically) in 2016

A perfect example that having a true freshman win the starting QB position is generally a sign of an unhealthy program and poor recruiting. 

Lots of smoke swirling around Miami QB Tyler Van Dyke possibly transferring to Alabama right now.

Word out of Bama’s spring camp is that the young replacements for Young (Milroe and Simpson) are progressing well, but neither are standing out as a star yet. I could definitely see Saban being in the market to bring a more experienced hand into the QB room.

TVD is a tough read, though. Looked like a 1st round pick in 2021 playing for Rhett Lashley but was mostly terrible playing under Josh Gattis in 2022. No idea what Bama could even expect out of him.

9 hours ago, EVA said:

TVD is a tough read, though. Looked like a 1st round pick in 2021 playing for Rhett Lashley but was mostly terrible playing under Josh Gattis in 2022. No idea what Bama could even expect out of him.

Josh Gattis is awful.  Hard to blame a QB for looking awful under the direction of Gattis.

A couple of rule changes starting next season

• Clock will now run after first downs (this applies to all levels but D-III). It will continue to stop in the last two minutes of each half.
  • Teams can no longer call two consecutive team timeouts
  • Penalties at the end of the first and third quarter will carry over and be enforced on the first play of the next quarter.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A couple of rule changes starting next season

• Clock will now run after first downs (this applies to all levels but D-III). It will continue to stop in the last two minutes of each half.

I know this is partly a safety issues but I hate this change. I love this difference about college football. 

• Thanks 2

In a quieter story because can't take the shine off of Coach Prime - since April 15, 17 Colorado players have entered the transfer portal (either because they don't want to play for Deion or they were told to get out)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

In a quieter story because can't take the shine off of Coach Prime - since April 15, 17 Colorado players have entered the transfer portal (either because they don't want to play for Deion or they were told to get out)

Think there have been a couple more since this was posted an hour ago. 8 players since the spring game.

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Think there have been a couple more since this was posted an hour ago. 8 players since the spring game.

Yup here is the updated story

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/36280712/montana-lemonious-craig-4-colorado-players-enter-portal

Apparently 15 entered just today. The total is 28 since April 15

Granted that was also bound to happen with the number of players Deion was bringing in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I'm a little surprised it's quiet. I figured Deion would trumpet this news.