DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Art Briles is the champion of doing something so shitty he can't get hired at the college level. Not that schools haven't tried.

And we'll see if it holds, or if somebody will get desperate enough.

Just now, Pete said:

Ken Niumatalolo is out at Navy. Brian Newberry (DC) is the interim head coach.

I was just coming to post that - it has been teased the last couple of years but I guess another sub .500 season made them finally pull the trigger

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I was just coming to post that - it has been teased the last couple of years but I guess another sub .500 season made them finally pull the trigger

They could've gone 1-10 for five years in a row and as long as West Point was the one he'd probably be okay. 2-5 against your arch-rival after a 14-year winning streak, not so much.

The news immediately mentioning an interim HC when Mississippi State plays one of the latest non-CFP bowls on the schedule (we're 22 days away from the ReliaQuest Bowl!) feels like an indicator that this was something really really serious like a massive heart attack or something involving a brain hemorrhage. The coverage here sorta feels like the coverage you'd see in another country when the head of state is hospitalized.

• Like 1

The Clarion-Ledger confirmed Leach had a "massive heart attack" and was airlifted to the hospital. Two of his kids haven't yet made it to the hospital. I have a terrible feeling we'll get some news shortly after they arrive. 

• Sad 2

On 12/9/2022 at 8:47 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Art Briles is the champion of doing something so shitty he can't get hired at the college level. Not that schools haven't tried.

Charlie Weis is in the conversation too.

Grayson McCall has hit the portal. Probably following his old coach to Liberty. But I would be interested to see what he could do somewhere else, outside of Chadwell’s system. It would honestly improve his draft stock a lot if he could be successful outside of that hybrid triple option offense.

Edited by EVA

On 12/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, RIPPA said:

Niumatalolo quote seems to support Pete's theory. Bolded part is my empasis.

"I'm a competitor," he said. "It's hard for me to think that we got the ball on the 6-inch line, and that's my last game. That's hard to fathom. If we win, he's not firing me. How do you fire a guy after you win the Army-Navy game? That's not going to happen."

He's also not taking it well. Said he basically begged to be allowed to come back next year and finish out his contract, and that he would resign if they didn't turn it around. They've got a ton of experienced players coming back next year, and he really wanted to reap the rewards of taking the lumps the last couple years.

The AD also said flat out that the expectations are to make bowls and win the Commander-In-Chief Trophy, so it's not a guessing game: losing to Army and Air Force the last few years doomed him.