DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

14 hours ago, EVA said:

This is a trend to watch for. As the money gets bigger and bigger at the P5 level, I think you’re going to see more G5 HCs get hired as P5 coordinators. And obviously Colorado and the PAC-12 are not even close to the top of the food chain when it comes to the money they can offer assistant coaches.

Another rumor is that Sanders wants Mike Zimmer to be his defensive coordinator. They go back to their days in Dallas when Zimmer was the DC and Sanders was still a player. Sanders hired him as an analyst after the Vikings fired him last year.

Zimmer doesn't strike me as the "college coach" type, but I wouldn't mind seeing him take this job, to be honest.

Edited by Gonzo

The NCAA granted all University of Virginia players with expiring eligibility an extra year

It is a small number of guys. One has already declared for the draft. Another just finished his 6th year and is playing in the Senior Bowl so neither of them will be using it.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, Tabe said:

Dead serious question: is there any info out there on whether Deion can actually coach? Clearly he can recruit but how about actual coaching? 

That's why you hire good assistants and coordinators.  Barry Switzer used to spend halftime of OU games calling recruits especially if they were laying a beating on someone. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 2:08 PM, hammerva said:

I mean he is a solid coach on the low level of NCAA given his last 2 years.  now whether that translate to playing Arizona or UCLA and not Grambling is another issue

To me the bigger question is whether Deion really went to Jackson State to elevate HBCU or was it always about him.  I mean guess he wasn't SWAC after all

He gave half his pay back to the university. He got big business to invest and improve the facilities. He got Jackson State on TV. He increased game revenue. He is leaving the situation in a far better than what he inherited. Maybe he will inspire others to go that route. I think if he stuck it out for another year he could have got a better job offer. He did more in 3 years to elevate HBCU than anyone else did in the last 3 decades. You can only punish your family for so long by making them live in Mississippi 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So here’s an interesting development: Luke Fickell is bringing in Phil Longo from North Carolina to be his OC. Longo is an Air Raid guy.

It would seem that Wisconsin’s offensive identity is about to seriously change for the first time in…decades.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

So here’s an interesting development: Luke Fickell is bringing in Phil Longo from North Carolina to be his OC. Longo is an Air Raid guy.

It would seem that Wisconsin’s offensive identity is about to seriously change for the first time in…decades.

Not a huge surprise. Wisconsin has been hamstrung by their offense for several years. Fickell comes from the Ohio Spread lineage so an identity change seems obvious. 

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears Stanford will be hiring Jason Garrett as HC

EDIT - Apparently, it is between Garrett and Sacramento St HC Troy Taylor

Stanford has institutional issues that are going to hamstring it in this new NIL era. 

The remaining football schools from the WAC and Atlantic Sun are combining to form a football only conference with the goal of becoming the 11th FBS conference

The schools are

WAC football members: Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah and Tarleton State

Atlantic Sun football members: Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and North Alabama

UT Rio Grande Valley announced they are starting a team and will join in 2025 to give them the 10th member

The conference itself plans on starting in 2024

There are so many flies in the ointment for this happening that you have to read the full story to understand

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35216756/atlantic-sun-wac-teams-pairing-move-fbs-sources-say

This is like one of those small court cases where the the verdict can have huge ramifications down the line. If the NCAA were to abolish the rule against single-sport conferences, that would clear a lot of path for interested parties to pursue a CFB Super League down the line.