DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2022 - CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

RIPPA

Somewhere in Bristol, there's an exec looking at the "most watched regular season games of the last ten and twenty years" list I was talking about last week and dreaming of what the NCG could be.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

You misspelled Alabama I believe 

Admittedly, the committee apparently makes a decision then decides what the criteria is, but it would be very hard for them to justify flipping the ratings of Ohio and Bama, especially if Michigan and Georgia both win. I suppose if Purdue and LSU both pull an upset, then you could plausibly argue that Ohio's loss looks worse and the second Bama loss looks better now.

But that would also fly in the face of the precedent that they've clearly set over the previous 8 years that two loses and your out. 

All the angst over the USC/OSU/Bama situation just underscores the point I’ve always made about a 4-team playoff: there are rarely more than 2 or 3 truly elite teams in CFB in any given year! The last spot or two is always just splitting hairs between lesser-than teams who don’t really deserve to be in the convo for CFB’s best team anyway!

The same will be true (x3) in a 12 team playoff.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EVA said:

All the angst over the USC/OSU/Bama situation just underscores the point I’ve always made about a 4-team playoff: there are rarely more than 2 or 3 truly elite teams in CFB in any given year! The last spot or two is always just splitting hairs between lesser-than teams who don’t really deserve to be in the convo for CFB’s best team anyway!

The same will be true (x3) in a 12 team playoff.

To be fair, that is true in every sport, its just about the content and the money 😄 Plus you know at some point a #8 seed or something will win the championship and everyone will be like SEE THIS IS WHY EXPANSION IS GOOD.

• Like 1

• RIPPA changed the title to NCAAF 2022 - CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK/BOWL GAMES

Decided to make my life easier

Anyway - the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Pitt DT Calijah Kancey will skip Pitt's bowl game

He cited a "health issue" but didn't specify further

He also didn't address if he will be entering the draft or not

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

They should make OSU/Bama play next week for the final spot

Me and every other right thinking person will then go around saying that this is the real National Championship game (I will admit that Georgia is the best team this year, but Ohio State and Alabama are The National football programs).

I'm not as... knowledgeable when it comes to college football as some of you are, while I watch it each week I tend to avoid the political side unless its particular juicy and entertaining. Anyway, as a moderately casual fan I do think its a bit unfair that some teams have an extra game against a tough opponent that other schools do not. We had USC losing yesterday and TCU in a tough fight today, while Ohio State gets to rest at home. I'm out invested enough emotionally to be outraged or anything, but if they are going full tournament model then it would be nice if the teams at least played the same number of games.

13 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm not as... knowledgeable when it comes to college football as some of you are, while I watch it each week I tend to avoid the political side unless its particular juicy and entertaining. Anyway, as a moderately casual fan I do think its a bit unfair that some teams have an extra game against a tough opponent that other schools do not. We had USC losing yesterday and TCU in a tough fight today, while Ohio State gets to rest at home. I'm out invested enough emotionally to be outraged or anything, but if they are going full tournament model then it would be nice if the teams at least played the same number of games.

It's because Ohio State played in the real B1GTen Championship game last week.  The B1GTen West is like the nWo B-team.  Hogan(Ohio State), Nash(Michigan), and Hall(Penn State) are in the east, and they play Buff Bagwell to decide the nWo champion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Anyone who knows me very well at all knows I don't want Ohio to get in.

But without suddenly making a massive change to how things work, there's just no other choice. There's basically no possible field except UGA, UM, TCU, and Ohio. There are no other undefeated or one loss teams in the entirety of D-1 FBS football.

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Man If TCU gets bounced out of the playoffs by 2 plays that was only a couple inches from TD in OT.   I guess we will see what clout the Big 12 has.  Which is probably none

If Alabama gets in ahead of TCU it's the committee's way of saying that if you're not in the B1G or the SEC you need to run the table to even be considered.

Whether they want that or not is the question.

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Suspect that the committee is hoping for a way to be flexible about Georgia/Michigan so that they don't have a first round rematch.

Either Georgia/Ohio State and Michigan/TCU or Georgia/Ohio State and Michigan/Alabama.

If Michigan wins big tonight, especially if Georgia wins a close one, you could put Ohio at #3 and then use Michigan beating #3 by 22 on the road as an excuse to move them to number 1, I suppose.

Or just not drop TCU and say Ohio is four because they have the fewest wins.