DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2022 - CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

RIPPA

I'm gonna start the offseason thread in a moment. In the meantime... schedule for this week

Friday, Dec 2

• Akron at Buffalo*
  • North Texas at UTSA
  • Utah at USC (played in Vegas)

Saturday, Dec 3

• Kansas State at TCU (played in AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX)
  • Toledo at Ohio (played in Detroit)
  • Coastal Carolina at Troy
  • LSU at Georgia (played in Atlanta, GA)
  • UCF at Tulane
  • Fresno St at Boise St
  • Purdue at Michigan (played in Indy)
  • Clemson at UNC (played in Charlotte, NC)

Note - Akron/Buffalo is just the makeup from the game getting postponed due to the blizzard a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

New Mexico State is asking for a waiver to get into a bowl with 5 wins ahead of 5-7 teams due to the game cancellation due to a death on the SJSU team.

Valparaiso is also trying to get a game with NMSU this weekend.

And beating Valpo won't solve the problem because they've already beaten one FCS team. But they want to fill their home game obligations and such.

I think they're waiver application has a decent chance.

Leaders of the College Football Playoff issued an ultimatum to the Rose Bowl this week, giving a self-imposed deadline of Wednesday to determine whether the CFP can expand in time for the start of the 2024 regular season, and if the game's most storied bowl can't agree to the terms, it's possible it could be excluded from the New Year's Six bowl rotation in the next contract, sources told ESPN.

"We want the Rose Bowl," a CFP source said. "We have a good partnership with the six bowls we are affiliated with. We do. And we want to continue with that. I hope the Rose Bowl will be part of that, but there's no guarantee in any of that. None."

If the CFP doesn't expand in time for the 2024 season, it will lose roughly $450 million in potential gross revenue. There is mounting pressure to make a decision this week -- possibly as soon as Tuesday.

While the Rose Bowl's position in an expanded CFP isn't the only obstacle that slowed the process, it is the last and most complicated. The discussion centered around one of the most lucrative television windows in college sports. Laura Farber, the chair of the Rose Bowl management committee, told ESPN earlier this month, the game wanted to maintain its exclusive broadcast window on Jan. 1 at 2 p.m. PT in years that it would also host a CFP semifinal.

The Rose Bowl was willing to temporarily concede its relationship with the Big Ten and Pac-12 to host a quarterfinal game in 2024 and 2025, but in return, it asked for assurances in the new contract. There is no contract in place beyond the current 12-year deal, which runs through the 2025 season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35138651/sources-rose-bowl-given-wednesday-deadline-cfp

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Top 6:

Georgia

Michigan

TCU

USC

Ohio

Alabama

That's exactly how I'd have put it so clearly the committee is populated with geniuses. This week. 

I really really hope that we actually end up with that top 4 just so we get more new blood and less SEC

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I really really hope that we actually end up with that top 4 just so we get more new blood and less SEC

Yeah this is the weird year where chaos actually would help an entrenched power or two, which is no fun.

• Like 1

I think the only possible change in the top 4 is USC dropping out if they lost to Utah a second time, because there IS a perception that great teams don’t lose to the same team twice. And if they drop out, the only team that could replace them is Ohio State. That’s really it. Top 3 are safe even with a loss.

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think the only possible change in the top 4 is USC dropping out if they lost to Utah a second time, because there IS a perception that great teams don’t lose to the same team twice. And if they drop out, the only team that could replace them is Ohio State. That’s really it. Top 3 are safe even with a loss.

I think Georgia is safe pretty much no matter what. Michigan unless they get absolutely demolished. TCU should be in the same boat, but I can't promise it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Georgia is safe pretty much no matter what. Michigan unless they get absolutely demolished. TCU should be in the same boat, but I can't promise it. 

Yeah, people are definitely looking for a reason to leave TCU and Big 12 out.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The parade of guys skipping bowl games to declare for the draft has begun

Penn St's Joey Porter Jr has announced he is peacing out

As a fan, I hate that so much. But, I can't argue that it's not smart.

If it was my kid, I'd encourage them to do the same.

Speaking of which - Kentucky QB Will Levis announced that he is declaring for the draft

However, he said he hasn't made his decision as to if he will play in the Bowl game or not yet (clearly he is waiting to see what bowl it is)

If Ohio State is passing on the Rose Bowl, it would be great if the committee could figure out a way to get the Buckeyes and Alabama together in a bowl. Young vs. Stroud in a duel for the pole position of QB1 in the draft might be the one thing that could convince two superstars not to opt-out of a bowl. Would be great for the game. And ratings.

• Like 2

Blake Corum reportedly needs surgery, and is done for the year. Which obviously is a blow for Michigan, but also... Why the hell was he in uniform and trying to play last week for, if the knee was that bad?

this is more Bowl Season than Championship Week or Off Season, but there's drama over rumors that Mizzou doesn't want to play Kansas in the Liberty Bowl due to the Liberty Bowl being at the same time as a Mizzou/Kentucky basketball game.

Mizzou's Twitter account responded with "Not True … looking forward to our bowl game vs. any team!"

So some good college football drama that's like the Briscos insisting they won't face Steamboat/Youngblood in Greensboro because they got a match with East Carolina in Kansas City instead.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And speaking of former ND QB's - BC's Phil Jurkovec is entering the graduate portal with one more season of eligibility left

Good for him. He’s been getting KILT behind Boston College’s OL the last two years.