DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 11/30/2022!

DEAN

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

He was arguably already an idiot in this particular instance for not having Regal in a backstage role similar to what he was doing in WWE, and strictly be an on-screen character instead.

I’m always of the opinion that if someone wants to go, let them. Don’t poison the well by forcing people to stay. But I’m just a poor dude from Tennessee, I’m not running the #2 wrestling promotion in North America.

I would guess that most of the guys who Triple H pushed in NXT, got released, and got signed by AEW are looking to go back and if you let one go, they'll all want to bounce.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Fi3GU_9WYAEWu4b?format=jpg&name=large

Daniel Bryan for the win hands down. My favourite custom belt ever.

Very happy to say that my close, personal, longtime friend Andrew Lazarchik of Wildcat Belts (Hot $hot Drew Lazario from Steel City Wrestling) made the Daniel Bryan belt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

I would guess that most of the guys who Triple H pushed in NXT, got released, and got signed by AEW are looking to go back and if you let one go, they'll all want to bounce.

Most folks with sources say it’s only about 3 guys, but you’re not wrong about having to set a standard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Very happy to say that my close, personal, longtime friend Andrew Lazarchik of Wildcat Belts (Hot $hot Drew Lazario from Steel City Wrestling) made the Daniel Bryan belt.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Having listened to a ton of Regal's podcast certainly gives you a sense of him. He brings up the story about how he told Bill Watts that he absolutely would not get out of his prior commitments to join WCW earlier, even if it meant he wouldn't get the job. Watts loved him all the more for that and Regal says that with pride. He goes at length that he would never talk to Triple H about what he was doing in his current job because he's not over there and vice versa. The thing with Regal on the podcast is that he repeats the same stories/same "truths" a lot. he talks about how when he worked in WWE, he and Hunter never actually spoke because they didn't have to. They just knew what they needed from one another all the time. You get the impression that him standing in the ring as MJF talks about Triple H would not be his favorite thing in the world. His kid is over there. They're apparently going global with NXT again. From what he says, you figure he'd love to be an on-screen villain again, who really gets to be a villain. But who knows. He's an interesting human being, so it's interesting; he also seems to be struggling with some short-term memory issues and other things because of his health situation. He seemed to be having a lot of fun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Having listened to a ton of Regal's podcast certainly gives you a sense of him. He brings up the story about how he told Bill Watts that he absolutely would not get out of his prior commitments to join WCW earlier, even if it meant he wouldn't get the job. Watts loved him all the more for that and Regal says that with pride. He goes at length that he would never talk to Triple H about what he was doing in his current job because he's not over there and vice versa. The thing with Regal on the podcast is that he repeats the same stories/same "truths" a lot. he talks about how when he worked in WWE, he and Hunter never actually spoke because they didn't have to. They just knew what they needed from one another all the time. You get the impression that him standing in the ring as MJF talks about Triple H would not be his favorite thing in the world. His kid is over there. They're apparently going global with NXT again. From what he says, you figure he'd love to be an on-screen villain again, who really gets to be a villain. But who knows. He's an interesting human being, so it's interesting; he also seems to be struggling with some short-term memory issues and other things because of his health situation. He seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Yeah, I've listened to his podcast some too, and I certainly don't get the feeling that he's pining to go back to WWE. 

57 minutes ago, JLowe said:

MJF's belt cracks me up because it's very in character with a try-hard who mistakes name brands and gold with actual class. 

Sounds like a presi- I mean, sounds like a guy I used to know...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

An extra MJF thing:

this might be getting close to repeating what he’s already done, but if he’s gonna be a special attraction champ who doesn’t work on TV, doesn’t he kinda need hangers-on to eat the bearings that he won’t get?

They had Holiday and Hammerstone in MLW, neither of which has escaped MLW since MJF left. They sorta had the Firm for a few seconds until they attacked MJF.

But if MJF is a lone wolf heel, then wouldn’t a lot of the shows end up being about other things aside from the World Champ? If you have 120 minutes to play with, MJF promos aren’t gonna make up a lot of that, but the occasional MJF-related match could take up some TV time.

I feel weird saying but the Triple B (gloriously douchey name btdubs) isn't gaudy enough. The dark leather swallows the plaid and Max either wears a robe for his big matches or sport jacket for his promos so not something that'll really stand out. I get that his thing is backstabbing everyone (and man that turn on Regal was vicious) but something that would probably benefit from having someone hold it up behind him.

To echo what a few others said, when I got home from work yesterday I felt really lousy and had a pretty high fever so mostly listened to Dynamite after Wrestler of the Year Dax Harwood and Danielson did their thing. There were a few moments during that segment where I was like "man, this is still going?" I think he is right though, I can see him holding onto that belt for all of 2023. Gonna be gigantic for whoever does take it off him too.

COWBOY SHIZ~

Orange Cassidy gets wrestling in ways no one before him ever has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love that the All Atlantic gimmick has basically become “Orange will agree to literally any kind of match because he doesn’t care.” It’s fun and different, and by extension it makes him look fearless, which is a wonderful quality for a top babyface to have.

• Like 14

Another positive thing. We may not like the way that Khan got there, but this is where Khan anticipated being, more or less. I'm sure he had the Triple B in mind for at least a year and probably longer.

Omega > Page > Punk > MJF was the plan. As solidly as Bruno > Graham > Backlund was the plan. Punk wasn't going to feud with MJF and the Firm forever.

He still has most of the pieces he thought he'd have a year ago, and a couple that he didn't anticipate like Claudio. Cole and Kyle O'Reilly are the two big ones missing right now (with Andrade and Christian).

MJF has a pretty wonderful list of babyfaces to run through: Starks, Jungle Boy, Darby, Sting, Kingston, Danielson, Claudio, Page, Wardlow, Lee, PAC, Cassidy. And there are guys like Takeshita or Bandido or Dante Martin or a Dax or a Hook that could be elevated into a contender's match.

Not to bring up absolutes again but when you look at a new heel champion about to get a long run and potential challengers out there, that's one of the best lists imaginable, right? AEW may have a heel problem but it sure doesn't have a babyface one.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

MJF has a pretty wonderful list of babyfaces to run through: Starks, Jungle Boy, Darby, Sting, Kingston, Danielson, Claudio, Page, Wardlow, Lee, PAC, Cassidy. And there are guys like Takeshita or Bandido or Dante Martin or a Dax or a Hook that could be elevated into a contender's match.

Not to bring up absolutes again but when you look at a new heel champion about to get a long run and potential challengers out there, that's one of the best lists imaginable, right? AEW may have a heel problem but it sure doesn't have a babyface one.

But is he going to be a fighting champion like Mox or OC, or is he going to continue to insist on being a special attraction who only defends every 6-8 weeks (assuming PPVs and specials like Winter is Coming). I can count on two hands the number of MJF matches I've seen in the 15 months I've been watching and still have enough fingers left to hold something.

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

But is he going to be a fighting champion like Mox or OC, or is he going to continue to insist on being a special attraction who only defends every 6-8 weeks (assuming PPVs and specials like Winter is Coming). I can count on two hands the number of MJF matches I've seen in the 15 months I've been watching and still have enough fingers left to hold something.

This is part of the shame in losing Regal, because he's exactly the sort of person who could get over forcing these fights to happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:
  • Willow was super over. I'm with DEAN on the idea that she's over enough to challenge Hayter, but only on the idea that she loses to set up her win against Athena later. One thing I liked about the Anna match was how the idea that she went to a chinlock when she was behind Willow during the PIP instead of the Queenslayer was validated by how easily Willow crushed her when she put the Queenslayer on later. Obviously someone as strong as Willow had to be sufficiently worn down first. Ruby's appearance post match probably would have worked better as a save with Tay and Anna beating down Willow, right?

I just watched the International Feed of Dynamite and Anna JAS looked even better.  I noticed that lately she seemed to be aping Britt Baker in the ring and it really shows here.  Anna isn't Joshi based like the best parts of the AEW Women's division but she has mastered how to be a Southern heel, which is what Britt Baker brings to the table.  She just lets the crowd tell her what to do which is something it would usually take years for a wrestler to learn.  The way she knew when to cut off Willow was really great.  (I'm sure Willow was helping her.)  That was one of the better non-Storm/Hayter/Emi/Shida/Deeb matches in AEW, especially from a HEAT standpoint.

• Like 8

Where I think things went wrong is AEW struggled to adjust on the fly. 

It's great to have a long-term storytelling arc. But you also need to have the ability to pull off a Plan B if an injury happens or if your top star decides to go crazy at a live press conference (or both.) That requires some quick pivoting and turning. And it's hard to do. 

From the different drabs that came out, there was going to be some kind of extended MJF vs. Punk feud and The Firm was going to be MJF's interference. Then the Punk stuff/injury happened and you have to figure out how to make that work. But every step along that path has been poorly done. 

Mox as the emergency champion makes a ton of sense. Mox is the man. But as opposed to having MJF doing the dumb "in the stands making hammy faces" bit, maybe it probably would have been just a lot easier to get to where they are now if MJF was given a bye into the finals of the tournament. He acts appalled but sleazes his way to victory via The Firm. 

Just a nice, simple and easy story to do. 

Instead we had such things as:

1) Yuta Wheeler wanting to bludgeon MJF (which was awesome) followed by Yuta Wheeler wanting to shake MJF's hand after their match ended the next week. If MJF's despicable, then reacting to him like that's the case even if he beats you cleanly it the right way to go.

2) MJF trying to come off like a possible good guy in all of this and The Firm turning on him and no one caring or wanting to see these dweebs involved in a main event match. They're flunkies. Now they're flunkies who turned on their ruler who never actually used them except for one ladder match a few weeks ago. No heat and no hierarchy established with them at all. Imagine if those dudes just tore about the BCC while MJF smirked from the luxury box as opposed to what we got?

3) The convoluted Regal angles. I guess we're going to see Dragon go on the warpath to try and avenge Regal. And while I'm for that, what happens with Ricky Starks? There could be a really interesting thing at play with that, but I don't think we'll get anything interesting. 

It's just such an overthinking of everything. And it's the downside of getting locked into really long-term booking ideas. 

It's probably better to say "We'd like to get to A in a year. But let's take a look at where we are every three months to see how we're doing getting there." 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

Do we know for sure that we're losing Regal?

It's 2022 and even our dirtsheets don't have good sources. We know nothing. We are the blind men touching the elephant.

We hear Dax say on a podcast that he talks to Punk every day but that he just wishes he finds happiness in life and then extrapolate the 27 things that could possibly mean for the future.

We know nothing.

We listen to a clip of Meltzer saying "There's a story, but I can't say what the story is, but the story is that if there was a story, then it would probably be the kind of thing that would be an interesting story, but there's something there, but I just can't say what it is, but we should know more soon, and then maybe I can say something, but for now, just know that there is a story." and find arcane secrets about the true WM 3 box office number in the pieces of paper strewn about his floor.

We know nothing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Also, I saw making the rounds that Tony Kahn grew up e-fedding and in many ways AEW is just a continuation of that. As someone who has e-fedded for a few (ugh) decades:

1) It's a really common occurrence for whoever handles the world championship of your e-fed to disappear for things like "My girlfriend found out about my e-fedding hobby and I'm rightfully embarrassed" or "I have a job with actual health insurance" or "I have to do better in school if I want to get into Rutgers, oh wait, I forgot to tell you I'm 15." And ciliquey in-fighting is also a huge part of the e-fed world. 

TK has experience with this drama, is what I'm saying.

2) He handled it in the most convoluted and complicated way as possible as opposed to doing anything that made narrative sense. That is EXACTLY how it is done in e-feds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I'm with @DEAN and @Matt D on the idea that Willow is ready (or just about there) but going back a few pages to what @Cobra Commander said about the unintentional diluting of the women's division with two titles, I think we have a great example here: I'm of the opinion it would mean more for Willow's character to break Jade's streak and take the TBS title from her, despite the fact that it's the 'lesser' title.

• Like 2

Speaking of Wardlow, Samoa Joe sorta typifies one redundancy of AEW and how many titles AEW+related entities have. Is there a logical reason for the ROH TV title to exist when ROH doesn't have their own TV? Now that Samoa Joe has the TNT Title, shouldn't those two titles be essentially merged? If ROH gets their own TV show again, then the titles can be uncoupled. Sorta like where some US Highways have two numbers for a period time but diverge again later.

ROH has as many men's singles titles (Heavyweight/Pure/TV) as AEW  does (World/TNT/All-Atlantic) if you ignore the FTW title, which is basically Taz's title that's held by his son. So, booking 6 different men's singles titles through your shows might be too many.

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm with @DEAN and @Matt D on the idea that Willow is ready (or just about there) but going back a few pages to what @Cobra Commander said about the unintentional diluting of the women's division with two titles, I think we have a great example here: I'm of the opinion it would mean more for Willow's character to break Jade's streak and take the TBS title from her, despite the fact that it's the 'lesser' title.

They also sort of have a built-in angle with WIllow facing Jade twice previously, with the second match actually having her get more in on Jade. There is also the Willow-Red Velvet match which was Willow's break-out match and where Red turned heel after the crowd turned on her during the match. She was with the Baddies within the next week or two.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

They also sort of have a built-in angle with WIllow facing Jade twice previously, with the second match actually having her get more in on Jade. There is also the Willow-Red Velvet match which was Willow's break-out match and where Red turned heel after the crowd turned on her during the match. She was with the Baddies within the next week or two.

Maybe three months ago, I laid out some BS fantasy booking on a trilogy between Willow/Jade where she gets just a little more every time before finally getting the big underdog win, based almost entirely on the history you've mentioned about the Red match, and the earlier bout - I think there's a solid chance we're heading that way. 

• Like 2