DVDVR Message Board

POLL 11/19-11/25/2022- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? OH! HERE WE GO!

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• AZM vs Momoka Hanazono- STARDOM
    • Cole Karter/ QT Marshall/ Aaron Solo/ Lee Johnson/ Nick Comoroto vs Orange Cassidy/ Danhausen/ Trent Barretta/ Chuck Taylor/ Rocky Romero- AEW Zero Hour
    • Ricky Starks vs Brian Cage- AEW Zero Hour
    • Jun Akiyama vs Eddie Kingston- AEW Zero Hour
    • Delirious/ Yuya Uemura vs Raj Singh/ Shera- IMPACT! BTI
    • BATEMAN vs B-Boy- CWFH
    • Jazmin Allure vs Kamille- NWA PoweRRR
    • Saki Kashima vs Koguma vs Hazuki vs Natsuko Tora vs Ruaka vs Hanan vs Rina vs Hina vs Saya Iida vs Momo Kohgo vs MIRAI vs Ami Sourei vs Waka Tsukiyama vs Miyu Amasaki vs Saya Iida- New Japan World
    • Aster Boy vs Spider-Fly- IWRG
    • Kosei Fujita vs Yuto Nakashima- New Japan World
    • Togi Makabe/ Tomoaki Honma/ Oskar Leube/ Ryohei Oiwa vs Aaron Henare/ Great-O-Khan/ Kyle Fletcher/ Mark Davis- New Japan World
    • Leva Bates/ Emi Sakura vs Willow Nightingale/ Hikaru Shida- AEW Elevation
    • Dax Harwood/ Cash Wheeler vs Darius Martin/ Dante Martin- RAMPAGE
    • Penelope Pink vs Foxxy Fierce- WOW
    • The Heavy Metal Sisters vs Coach Campanelli/ Randy Rah Rah/ Chantilly Chella- WOW
    • The Brawling Brutes vs The Judgement Day- RAW
    • Mustafa Ali vs Austin Theory- RAW
    • Matt Riddle/ Elias vs Chad Gable/ Otis- RAW
    • Drew McIntyre vs Baron Corbin- RAW
    • Asuka vs Rhea Ripley- RAW
    • Jey Uso/ Jimmy Uso vs SHEAMUS/ Drew McIntyre- SMACKDOWN
    • Skye Blue vs Tay Melo- AEW Dark
    • Taya Valkyrie vs Britanny Blake- MLW
    • Yu Iizuka vs Minoru Suzuki- GLEAT
    • Willow Nightingale/ Skye Blue vs Jamie Hayter/ Britt Baker vs Anna JAS/ Tay Melo- DYNAMITE
    • Wes Lee vs Carmello Hayes- NXT
    • Pretty Deadly vs Duke Hudson/ Andre Chase- NXT
    • Alex Hammerstone vs Richard Holliday- MLW
    • Wendy Choo vs Cora Jade- NXT
    • Darby Allin vs Anthony Henry- RAMPAGE
    • Michiko Miyagi vs Maya Fukuda- GLEAT
    • Cerebro Negro/ Cerebro Negro Jr /Dr Cerebro vs Hijo De Pandemonium/ Pandemonium/ Pandemonium Jr- IWRG
    • Puma de Oro vs Aster Boy- IWRG
    • Ricochet vs Brawn Strowman- SMACKDOWN
    • Hideki Suzuki vs Shuhei Taniguchi- NOAH
    • Chris Jericho vs Tomohiro Ishii- DYNAMITE
    • Matt Jackson/ Nick Jackson/ Kenny Omega vs PAC/ Rey Fenix/ Penta El Zero Miedo- DYNAMITE
    • KiLynn King vs Gia Scott- Women's Wrestling Army
    • Ethan Page vs Ricky Starks- DYNAMITE
    • Orange Cassidy vs Jake Hagar- DYNAMITE

JAYZEUS!  This may be the most competitive poll yet.  The CUT LIST is fucking GIGANTIC.  That's a lot of quality wrestling that didn't make the cut.  AEW waaaay overdelivered this week, starting with Eddie Kingston vs Jun Akiyama, continuing with the Elite vs Death Triangle and BRINGING IT with the Jericho/Tomohiro Ishii match.  The best WWE match was- oddly- according to ME, Baron Corbin versus Drew McIntyre.  The Usos also delivered big with the tag match from SMACKDOWN and NXT brung it with the Carmello Hayes/ Wes Lee Strange Style extravaganza.  New Japan was a rerun on AXS, but the streamed live every day this week, showing the first two matches on every card, which means it was an introduction to rookie phenom Kosei Fujita.  GLEAT streamed TWICE but didn;t really deliver much.  IWRG streamed TWICE and the elevation of Aster Boy to the main event is pretty beautiful to behold.  Plus they added BLOOD to the Cerebros vs the Pandemoniums fued.  The best fringe match was prolly KiLynn King versus Gia Scott from Women's Wrestling Army or the fabulous ass beating that Kamille laid upon a very feisty Jazmin Allure.  And AZM had a doozy against Mamoka Hanazono.  WHAT A WEEK!  WHAT A GREAT TIME TO BE A WRESTLING FAN!

THE CUT LIST: Keyra vs Bengalee- IWRG; Ryohei Oiwa vs Yuto Nakashima- New Japan World; The Dark Order vs the TrustBusters- AEW Dark; 24K vs Agents of Chaos- CWFH; Ivy Nile vs Kiana James- NXT; Kosei Fujita/ Oskar Leube vs Togi Makabe/ Tomoaki Honma- New Japan World; Flamita/ YUTANI vs Jun Tonsho/ Minoru Tanaka- GLEAT;  Kosei Fujita/ Oskar Leube/ Ryohei Oiwa/ Yuto Nakashima vs Alex Coughlin/ Clark Connors/ Gabriel Kidd/ Kevin Knight- New Japan World; Nate Bradley vs Chuck Devine- NWA PoweRRR; The Tonga Twins vs Miami Sweet Heat- WOW; Zoey Stark vs Sol Ruca- NXT;  Kosei Fujita/ Oskar Leube vs Ryohei Oiwa/ Yuto Nakashima- New Japan World; Marina Shafir vs Willow Nightingale- AEW Dark;

• Thanks 1

I can hardly believe that it's possible another match beat out Kingston vs Akiyama. In the same week. In the same company. I was so sure that I'd be voting for Kingston vs Akiyama this week that I felt just fine about not voting for Kingston & Ortiz vs Akiyama & Takeshita last week. I think that if we include Kingston's post-match talk then it's unbeatable. Cannot be topped.

But here we are. 

• Like 3

Thought Jericho/Ishii was fun but overrated due to the novelty of a bloody Jericho/Ishii chop battle. Jericho lasting that long in a strike battle with Ishii is more wrong than anything else bloody chest or not. Nothing else on Dynamite really interested me enough to stick with it, and I'm SOL on Rampage due to not realizing a different air time. Still need to see Eddie/Jun.

Lee/Hayes was great and the match that I'm leaning towards right now. Really hope some give it a shot. Asuka/Rhea, JD/Brutes, Elias/Riddle vs. AA, and Drew/Corbin were damn good. Drew/Corbin in particular was a nice surprise though Asuka/Rhea is probably the only match that would really battle Lee/Hayes for me. Dug Usos vs. Drew/Sheamus more than either of the Raw tags though oddly enough I'm not sure it was really better per say.

Still need to catch Cerebros/Pandemoniums II, AZM/momoka, & NJPW.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Drew/Corbin in particular was a nice surprise though Asuka/Rhea is probably the only match that would really battle Lee/Hayes for me.

Rhea Ripley assuming the role of VADER was fucking choice.  They should run with that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I can hardly believe that it's possible another match beat out Kingston vs Akiyama. In the same week. In the same company. I was so sure that I'd be voting for Kingston vs Akiyama this week that I felt just fine about not voting for Kingston & Ortiz vs Akiyama & Takeshita last week. I think that if we include Kingston's post-match talk then it's unbeatable. Cannot be topped.

But here we are. 

Who would have thought that Jericho could pull that match out of Ishii?  That was the strongest Strong Style match I can remember.  Ishii didn't even hit a Brainbuster and it was the best Ishii match in years.  Jericho is just getting dudes over.  God, remember the Bandido and Dalton Castle matches.  I await the Jericho/Takeshita match.  Hell, I might have voted for the Elite/Death Triangle match over Eddie/Akiyama, and I fucking LOVED Eddie/Akiyama. WHAT A WEEK!

• Like 3

Just to be a contrarian, I went Duke/Chase-Pretty Deadly but actually it was the most fun I had all week watching wrestling, Chase U is way OVER with the crowd, Pretty Deadly cheats and double-teams, then keep manipulating Duke who is either REALLY trying to win over Chase U or playing dumb REALLY well before turning on Chase U.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

Just to be a contrarian, I went Duke/Chase-Pretty Deadly but actually it was the most fun I had all week watching wrestling, Chase U is way OVER with the crowd, Pretty Deadly cheats and double-teams, then keep manipulating Duke who is either REALLY trying to win over Chase U or playing dumb REALLY well before turning on Chase U.

Chase U is a magnificently stupid gimmick that I love. Andre Chase is also sneakingly solid-good which he really doesn't have to be with a gimmick like this. Duke in the ring is a step up from Bohdi, and Pretty Deadly are one of the best tag teams in WWE. That was match already guaranteed to be fun, but it actually was legit good as well. i'm glad to see someone else give it some love.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Chase U is a magnificently stupid gimmick that I love. Andre Chase is also sneakingly solid-good which he really doesn't have to be with a gimmick like this. Duke in the ring is a step up from Bohdi, and Pretty Deadly are one of the best tag teams in WWE. That was match already guaranteed to be fun, but it actually was legit good as well. i'm glad to see someone else give it some love.

I was ranting a while back about how stupid the Chase U gimmick was but inexplicably they have made it work and I've come to embrace it. I think Thea Hail's delightfully unhinged act is underrated as well. 

• Like 2

So I love "body part other than the face is bleeding" matches (also love "face is bleeding" matches in both senses of the word), like the Aja Kong vs. Yumiko Hotta Bloody Hand match might be in my all-time Top ten. This was always gonna be the winner because I am a sucker for watching two masters of their craft work around a violent, less-common psychological motif like Jericho's nipple getting chopped off. 

BUT I gotta point out that Aster Boy vs. Puma del Oro is mega fuckin' great and probably woulda won my vote on a down week. IWRG is a great flavor of pro wrestling and this gave me Rey Mysterio-in-ECW / peak-years CZW/IWA-MS "guys who don't need to do hardcore stuff but do anyway" (a lot of young guy indie lucha feuds inhabit this realm) and the highspots all land and the blood is bleedy and oh my God what a completely logical finish. Which they use to set up a triangle Masacara contra Mascara contra Mascara match for the anniversary show and they're dripping blood all over the contracts while signing them. Not to reduce this to lazy stereotype but this is taco truck pro wres cause it's just fuckin' *right there*, FREE ON YOUTUBE and ain't trying to be remotely fancy but often the best IWRG matches end up being the most satisfying pro wres I eat all week.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DEAN said:

It's amazing how hated the Death Triangle/Elite six-man match is.

BTI was fun but with main Impact off this week, I'm giving my vote to this! May be a blowout but it deserves a little more love

Honestly think it was the match I enjoyed the most of the week, thought it was totally awesome with nonstop action throughout. An absolute blast. Might've preferred it to the first one as well. It happening in the middle of a Dynamite I really liked with other great segments before it helped too.  He's got a hammer in his trunks!!

• Like 1

• DEAN unpinned this topic