DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 11/25/2022

The Natural

Pres10's heel turn was one of the best ever and I do not say that lightly.  I agree with Matt in that he needs to practice that fucking Discus Lariat.  -1 deserves an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for conveying absolute dejection while wearing a mask.

At first I questioned the logic of making FTR vs. Top Flight the curtain jerker, but the drama of the heel turn elevated that trios match to main event status.

My only regret is that it comes at the expense of Dark Order, a bunch of guys who have been there since Day One.  I have a bad feeling that DO will continue to fade away into nothingness.  AEW's bloated roster cannot support rebuilding DO nor should they be repackaged as something else since they are already over AF.  With Pres10 turning heel, Stu Grayson released, and Alan Angels enjoying some success at Impact, I don't even want to speculate on what the future holds for the stable.  It will just make me sad.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, EVA said:

The 10 turn was great, but I think it was also about a year late and on the wrong show to resonate as strongly as it could.

Hmm. It certainly would have had more impact when Dark Order was still wildly over, but arguably it makes more sense for him to do it when they're obviously struggling. That also gives it a "kicking them when they're down" vibe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Hmm. It certainly would have had more impact when Dark Order was still wildly over, but arguably it makes more sense for him to do it when they're obviously struggling. That also gives it a "kicking them when they're down" vibe.

That and DO wrestling in the main does not feel out of place on Rampage.  There's no way that DO would be booked to work the main on Dynamite in the present day. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Pres10's heel turn was one of the best ever and I do not say that lightly.  I agree with Matt in that he needs to practice that fucking Discus Lariat.  -1 deserves an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for conveying absolute dejection while wearing a mask.

At first I questioned the logic of making FTR vs. Top Flight the curtain jerker, but the drama of the heel turn elevated that trios match to main event status.

My only regret is that it comes at the expense of Dark Order, a bunch of guys who have been there since Day One.  I have a bad feeling that DO will continue to fade away into nothingness.  AEW's bloated roster cannot support rebuilding DO nor should they be repackaged as something else since they are already over AF.  With Pres10 turning heel, Stu Grayson released, and Alan Angels enjoying some success at Impact, I don't even want to speculate on what the future holds for the stable.  It will just make me sad.

They should make SIlver/Reynolds a tag team contender, perhaps heel turn of their own, or move them over to ROH to take tag belts off FTR.

They are really the only two members of DO worth much on their own right now.  Colt and Uno don't really provide much value above replacement at this point, despite being perfectly fine wrestlers I'd love to see at my local indy.

I'd definitely offer Silver and Reynolds to NJPW for BOSJ next year too

Uno will likely become just the video game guy/ JTTS.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 3

JD DRAKE MAKES TV!!!!

Very solid episode of wrestling. Loved the opener, Great stuff from Darby and Anthony Henry, love when Darby shows off his wrestling chops. Drake was a great base for Darby's dive and sold the hell out of Sting clothesline. Be interesting if they decide to start rebuilding Darby for an MJF feud. SHIDA! Are Super Bad Bunny scouting competition or recruiting? Hmmm

Main was more of an angle than a match but BUTCHER AND THE BLADE GET A WIN!!!! Preston Vance throws a sweet overhead Steiner belly to belly so it will be interesting to see him as a single (just hope they don't regulate him to being Rush's muscle)

As for the DO, you have exactly three of them left so maybe a trio's run? V. Dalton and his Boys in ROH?

• Like 5

On 11/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, J.T. said:

Just a guess but it would make a lot of sense if they brought back Stu as part of DO going for revenge.

Edit: Or Hangman.

Edited by sabremike

Bit of a throw away episode here, but the tag match was very exciting, I kept looking for whatever went wrong that caused a scare, but I guess it was edited out or cleaned up a bit? Dax vs Bryan has a more than zero chance of being an ok wrestling match, no? Gunns at Final Battle, then, right?

Darby vs Henry was more competitive than one would have thought, but since they had a previous rivalry that was played up by commentary, that was a good thing. I guess this was a bit like that RVD vs Jerry Lynn from 2001 WWF tv, but without all of Henry's offence edited out?

Storm is willing to break her face to regain the title? That's nice, but I'd assume being willing to break Hayter's face would probably serve you better in actually accomplishing that, right? But hey, I'm not judging. You do you, Toni!

JAS-Claudio segment was a bit of a nothing, but I guess you need an actual segment to set up a PPV main event, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Athena vs Mercedes should kick all kinds of ass! If they gel in the ring, that should be among the best possible pairings that the current women's roster can provide! Nice addition to the PPV if Martinez is ready to go.

Main event was a decent handicap tag match disguised as an angle, or was it the other way? Ok, Preston, you're a dick! Fuck you!

Forgot the Shida squash that had Bunny and Penelope watching. Yes, that could lead to something cool!

Edited by Shartnado
Bunny and Penelope, yay!
  • Like 3

-Man, in nXt and later on main roster WWE, FTR used to drive me up the goddamned wall with their "LOOK AT US HOLD THE TAG ROPE TAG TEAM WRASSLIN'" schtick, but they have been an absolute revelation in AEW. I'd love to see these two teams get another, longer encounter on a bigger stage. 

-I'm a big fan of how AEW handles their JTTS guys. Anthony Henry and JD Drake are guys you absolutely want around to make your stars look great. Darby needs something to do. 

-I liked the Toni Storm interview and the Athena/Mercedes angle after. That's got a chance to be a real sleeper banger on the ROH ppv. 

-Hikaru Shida has never done much for me, but she looked really good here and I'm a big fan of Penelope Ford & Allie, so hopefully this will lead to something. Maybe Ruby Soho's return?

-The Claudio/JAS thing was a thing. If I had to guess, Claudio will lose, be a reluctant part of the JAS, and Yutes will have to beat Jericho to free his buddy. Also, the same dingus from Connecticut I mentioned in the Dynamite thread who slandered American Hero Jake Hager also had the audacity to besmirch Wheeler Yuta. Yuta's rise to prominence has been one of the brightest spots in AEW this year and I'm hoping he gets involved with this thing.

-Man, this main event. Preston Vance has a quality to him that I think is worth exploring on a bigger scale, and the DO took their beatings like men. What would suck is Reynolds & Silver having to continue on with no real aim like McGillicutty and Otunga after the Nexus split up. I thought those guys had some potential as a tag and they were never given much. Silver is mega-over and Reynolds is cool with me on account that he answers the question "what if Chris d'Elia got on the gas for six months straight?" In the short term, I got the feeling TK wanted Hanger and RUSH to do more together, so this might be a way for Hangman Page to come back; team with his DO buddies one more time to help them get revenge. They can say goodbye to the Dark Order gimmick in style. 

I liked this show a ton. I hope this is the beginning of some re-focus on Rampage.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That's a shame. I was hoping it was like Bruce or Road Dogg or someone. 

It's a poster here. But that person being Bruce Prichard would explain a lot...