DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

Hyping a show around big announcements is stupid because the announcements never meet fan expectations. And the announcements aren't a surprise if you tell us they are going to happen.

This has been pretty clear ever since WCW tried to market Goldberg's heel turn as a big surprise 23 years ago.

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Are people getting tired of MJF's shtick?

Highest rated segment of the show aside from the lead-in. 

The Guevara / Jungle Boy pieces were clown-like, with Guevara's mic work especially almost painful to watch, so not surprising to see c. 7% of viewers tune out -- could easily be more. Seconded only by how bad the BCC segment was - which would also drop viewers into the final stretch.

That said, while the figures are fairly pitiful given it was a Wrestlemania week where one would expect wrestling interest to be heightened, they kept the numbers more or less steady throughout, which is at least an improvement on dropping 150 - 200 k viewers from segment to segment as had been the case recently. Its a pity they still have zero plan for engaging narratives across the entire breadth of the show, but c'est la vie.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Are people getting tired of MJF's shtick?

Considering the increase for Sammy’s match it seems that way. I noticed others trying to credit MJF with that rating when in reality the only part he had in that quarter hour was being shut up by JB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

Considering the increase for Sammy’s match it seems that way. I noticed others trying to credit MJF with that rating when in reality the only part he had in that quarter hour was being shut up by JB.

Biggest miss of the night was Jungle Boy not hitting MJF with the Cymbals

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LF2 said:

That's how I was interpreting it as well. The quarter-hours are a rolling average over the 15 minutes?

• Thanks 1

I think generally people look too much into quarter ratings, even though they are fun to look at. For something outside the usual trends they are useful, but if you look at the graph the 90 day average line follows a similar trend to this week. Ratings can go up at 9 PM regardless what is going on, as people watching something else from 8 to 9 tune in then, its just hard to know from a graph the *why* part. It always starts high as people watching Big Bang Theory are slow to turn over. I do think slowly losing viewers from going from 8 to 9 isn't ideal but I don't know if its outside the norm for any show for people to start watching and then slowly leave at some point.

The main event losing total viewers obviously isn't good, the trend shows the last quarter usually goes up, not down. But I blame that more on the Ass Boys than FTR, the Gunns don't do a lot for me and probably not for a lot of others also.

• Like 4

Who knew having a strong lead in and not the 39th re-airing of The Equalizer (spoiler: Denzel kills everyone in the end.) would have worked? Crazy.

NBA lead-in boosts AEW Rampage to best viewership since 2021

With the benefit of a lead-in from the NBA, Friday night's episode of AEW Rampage averaged 639,000 viewers on TNT, up 27 percent from the previous week. It's the largest audience total for the show since September 17, 2021. 

Rampage finished seventh on the cable charts with a 0.21 rating in the 18-49 demo. That's up 23.5 percent from the previous week and is Rampage's best rating in that category since April 8, 2022.

Rampage aired immediately after an NBA play-in game that averaged 2.26 million viewers and finished second on the cable charts with a 0.76 rating in 18-49. Another play-in game on ESPN took the top spot on cable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Wrestlenomics doesn't post Rampage graphs because no one cares about Rampage

And we don't need you to post them here for either show. Thank you.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And we don't need you to post them here for either show. Thank you.

You posted about what's supposed to be the network's anchor show on Friday night getting a slight ratings bump from an NBA game, and then the weird guy who follows me around thought he'd try dunking on me.

Critical thought is important, and shutting down all bad news just makes this forum even more of a hugbox than it already is. I appreciate the positivity of this forum towards wrestling, but acting like a one-week ratings bump for Rampage means something is delusional.

I agree the show could have a better lead-in, but Rampage is supposed to be the network's anchor on Friday nights. This just shows AEW doesn't deserve anywhere near whatever NBA is getting from the network for rights fees.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

You posted about what's supposed to be the network's anchor show on Friday night getting a slight ratings bump from an NBA game, and then the weird guy who follows me around thought he'd try dunking on me.

Put him on ignore. Just a thought.

Between you and Red King posting stock updates and pictures out of context, I am not sure who is spamming the board worse. 

I agree the show could have a better lead-in, but Rampage is supposed to be the network's anchor on Friday nights. 

1. No one's top show airs starting at 10 p.m. eastern time. I dunno what the fuck you mean by anchor unless you mean the garbage airing before brings down the average of the station.

2. The later a show airs in primetime, the more help it needs to be successful. This goes for both Dynamite and Rampage. Hell, any TV show just about ever that fits that description. AEW doesn't have the advantage of WWE where Raw has been on USA for 25 out of 30 years (and prior to that, wrestling was there whether it was Prime Time Wrestling or USA dipping their toe in the water with Southwest Championship Wrestling) and Smackdown will have been a thing for 25 years next year. Dynamite is always going to get garbage for a lead in cause TBS and TNT don't have much outside of sports and AEW.  Rampage needs the lead-in just cause people aren't watching TNT in the key hours of primetime (7-10 p.m. eastern) if it ain't basketball, so why the hell would they watch AFTER 10 p.m.? A strong lead is a necessity.

This just shows AEW doesn't deserve anywhere near whatever NBA is getting from the network for rights fees.

I was going to use more colorful language to describe how imbecilic this is, but EVA said it much nicer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Between you and Red King posting stock updates and pictures out of context, I am not sure who is spamming the board worse.

How is me posting the TV Rating once weekly in the thread for TV ratings in any way comparable to the crazy guy with 50,000 posts of unsourced nonsense spamming the board

• Like 1

Just now, Dolphman 3000 said:

How is me posting the TV Rating once weekly in the thread for TV ratings in any way comparable to the crazy guy with 50,000 posts of unsourced nonsense spamming the board

Because your posts are just as useless. Nobody is gonna beat Red King on sheer quantity. I don't expect that to be done.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Because your posts are just as useless. Nobody is gonna beat Red King on sheer quantity. I don't expect that to be done.

Oh, I'd say he has a rival for quantity. EMMV on the quality of all the posts here. 😉