DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

4 minutes ago, porksweats said:

He's going to want Tota(ew)l Divas.

If it's true that they're turning Rhodes to the Top into a Young Bucks reality show...probably a bad move

Jack Perry/Anna Jay reality show would attract a lot of people - the "Luke Perry's son" angle grabbed the company a lot of headlines early on and they never capitalized on it

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

Neither Jack Perry nor Anna Jay are charismatic enough to carry a reality show. If you're gonna do one, it's Mox and Renee.

Lean full into the true reality...

Britt Baker and Adam Cole. They did appear on Anthony Bourdain's show when he did Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

An interesting development in the business/merch side of AEW:

The action figure business appears to have gotten a bit stagnant. After the success of the first three waves, it sounds like figures were produced in numbers larger than they could reasonably sell, to the point that Ringside Collectibles has figures that haven’t hit shelves yet on sale. Rumors are that AEW might be looking for a new distributor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, just drew said:

An interesting development in the business/merch side of AEW:

The action figure business appears to have gotten a bit stagnant. After the success of the first three waves, it sounds like figures were produced in numbers larger than they could reasonably sell, to the point that Ringside Collectibles has figures that haven’t hit shelves yet on sale. Rumors are that AEW might be looking for a new distributor.

I think that is a microcosm of the dangers of AEW not being able to adequately grow their fan base, and is something that really needs to be addressed. Even accepting it is a pretty hardcore fan base that is more likely to purchase collectibles like that, you can’t expect them to purchase every bit of merchandise and need new ones to cycle in to help those sales. 

• Like 2

I think the other issue is that they only had the figures available at Walmart to start, they were impossible to find, and then after way too long they started making them available in more places, but the ones most readily available were figures no one wanted. Add to that that they cost TWENTY DOLLARS and yeah, I'm not surprised if their action figure business is stagnant. That shit is way too expensive.

To put it another way, if I had a kid that was into wrestling and they wanted those action figures, I don't think I'd ever buy them. At a minimum, without a ring, it would cost $40 just to have a match.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I will stick with Ethan Page, Danhausen, and other wrestlers going around cities and hunting for action figures. Also Ruby Soho shopping at Buc-ee's while wearing a Buc-ee's onesy. That is true quality reality TV.

https://youtu.be/ccZrOTR_tps

I need to stop talking shit about Ethan Page as an in-ring character because I have a bunch of vintage action figures I’d be willing to sell to him and other AEW wrestlers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 10:50 PM, Craig H said:

I think the other issue is that they only had the figures available at Walmart to start, they were impossible to find, and then after way too long they started making them available in more places, but the ones most readily available were figures no one wanted. Add to that that they cost TWENTY DOLLARS and yeah, I'm not surprised if their action figure business is stagnant. That shit is way too expensive.

To put it another way, if I had a kid that was into wrestling and they wanted those action figures, I don't think I'd ever buy them. At a minimum, without a ring, it would cost $40 just to have a match.

Yeah, not having a “basic” option like wwe Mattels hurts them a ton, I’m sure.

• Like 1