DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/23/2022

The Natural

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

I think one of Ishii’s chops drove Jericho’s necklace into his chest, and that’s what originally busted him open. 

He bladed his chest when he was down in the corner.

My wife was the one to notice; I'm so proud.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Hager was amazing; he had every right to say no to the hat gimmick but instead it was hilarious and gave him some real break out personality. 

Hager has been quietly hilarious for a long time now. His five words or so and faces and posing during the JAS promos crack me up every time. That is a really nice hat too.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Orange Cassidy is my wrestler of the year. The guy is so clued into his character, and finds story beats in every match that make sense for both him and his opponent. The match with Hager felt like I was watching Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin or even Jackie Chan in terms of his ability to tell a story and make me laugh with his body and his movement. And to do that with Jake Hager of all people! (Kudos to Jake though for embracing the silliness of the hat gimmick and committing to it). 

14 hours ago, EVA said:

Yes, this is the secret sauce that most modern indie meme wrestlers don’t understand.

All of the business with Hager’s hat was incredible. I haven’t been paying enough attention to Hager lately to say how well built up the hat gimmick is, but they perfectly established how important it was in the first act of the match and then escalated it wonderfully, to the point that Hager breaking a hold to put it back on seemed plausible within the match’s reality.

10 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Hager was amazing; he had every right to say no to the hat gimmick but instead it was hilarious and gave him some real break out personality. 

1 hour ago, ka-to said:

Hager has been quietly hilarious for a long time now. His five words or so and faces and posing during the JAS promos crack me up every time. That is a really nice hat too.

xy1gzU.gif

FiS_iecXwAUbQlE?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The opening segment was...yeah, I don't know about that. Well, it was different. Now they can't bring Regal back on tv, at least until Mox takes a break, or Mox is required to end him.

Hager and the bucket hat makes me smirk. It will be many months before I can wear mine, though. What is that, purple? Mine is navy blue.

House of Black is back! Great! Now have them actually wrestle. Often. Against interesting, non-preliminary opponents. That security guy is DEAD.

Ok, at least I'm not sick of the best of seven series by the match two. The way Penta used the hammer, and the way he looked while doing it was hilarious.

So Wardlow is angry. Go have another decent breakfast, maybe you'll feel better.

By the way things are going with Starks, he'll be in a full body-cast or wrapped up like a mummy after the MJF match at Winter is Coming.

3-way women's match was a good way to feature a bunch of people at once and since it was a good match that got time, it wasn't a filler. Is Britt already trying to upstage Hayter, despite doing it in a positive and supportive manner? Let the lady talk, she's the champ! Lest you want to be eating a ripcord-lariat a few months down the road...

The Acclaimed's next challengers are Jarrett & Lethal?!?! Not Sting and Darby, for example? Swerve and Lee broke up and Daddy Ass can scissor again, so there is some justice in the world, though. FTR vs Top Flight should be interesting, too.

Loved the main event. Bleeding from the chest was top notch. And Final Battle is leading to a rematch with Claudio. Bit obvious, that. Anyway, Minoru Suzuki has probably faced Ishii in NJPW. I assume they chopped each other. Does anyone know?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

The opening segment was...yeah, I don't know about that. Well, it was different. Now they can't bring Regal back on tv, at least until Mox takes a break, or Mox is required to end him.

From what I understand, it is to take Regal off TV. He's off to go scouting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More ROAD REPORT~! stuff...

Trying to not repeat anything here and I had a lot to say about Dark Elevation and Rampage. Regarding Dark Elevation, I unfortunately missed out on Maki Itoh being there. I was at the merch counter and at concessions when they started taping DE.

As for merch, like everyone else has said, it's woefully lacking because AEW and Pro Wrestling Tees mainly just presses their shirts on demand, hence the longer shipping times and more expensive prices. I did pick up a shirt there, which was the Chicago AEW shirt (not the Elite one in the style of the city flag), and I got a vinyl sticker for my laptop or iPad.

Concessions were a (using my kitchen voice from the Bear) FUCKING SHITSHOW. No joke. So, all over Wintrust they have QR codes to order your food online so you can skip the line and go right to the ticket counter. Plus, there's no fee for ordering through the Grubhub app. So my friend and I order our food, go to the right location to pick it up, and there's only one dude standing there in front of us waiting for his food, but no one is helping us. Finally, after 5 minutes or so a lady comes up and asks the guy in front of us what he needs. He explains he ordered his food online and he's there for pickup. The lady is visibly confused and I think I see her say, "I don't think we do that here." First of all, that's bizarre to think you wouldn't do online ordering considering everywhere you look in the arena there's QR codes for it. Second, she was totally lovely and patient. Until she brought up her tablet and turned on the ticket machine for online orders. Remember that episode from The Bear where they tried to do online ordering? Episode 7, the ultra, ultra, ultra intense episode. WE WERE LIVING THAT OUT. All of a sudden the printer starts printing online order tickets non stop. Literally non stop. It never stops. The lady goes into crisis mode to try and manage it as best as she can and honestly, she did an amazing job considering the circumstances. The other issue was that ordering online gave you options for things they didn't have...like...hot dogs...and pizza. The guy in front of us was totally cool about it though, made his substitutions and neither he or the lady cared about the difference in cost. We get up and it's the same situation. We acted the same way. It's not her fault that whoever her manager was left them ill prepared to handle the situation. So I made substitutions to get food that was ultimately less expensive than what I ordered, but we're talking a difference of maybe $5 and it's expensive concessions so really, who cares. We were just happy she handled the situation. I really, really hope everyone us was cool to her and the other people working at that concession stand. I wanted to give her a hug, but you know, that's creepy coming from a stranger, so I was just like, hey, I hope the rest of the night goes better than this and this is just the worst of it and I hope you have a happy holiday.

Man, these poor people. I really hope no one was shitty to them and people tried to be empathetic.

Dark Elevation was whatever really. A bunch of squash matches. The one interesting thing was Don Callis came out to scout Takeshita. Oh, and Eddie and Monkey wrestled a tag match on DE and Eddie was maybe one of the most over guys all night. Building was nearly at capacity 3/4 of the way through DE.

Crowd was molten hot for the trios match, which many of you heard. Also, what many of you didn't hear unless you were watching the legendary international feed was just how much hotter the crowd got during the commercial break. FUCK THE ELITE. FUCK CM PUNK. FUCK HANGMAN. COLT CABANA. CM PUNK. Just a bunch of competing chants. We did get a kick out of Matt botching the Buckshot Lariat. Oh, and the worst thing about the chants was that it drives other people to try and start even shittier chants. It's been so long since I've been to live wrestling that I forgot how fucking annoying people are. Listen...I know this may surprise you, the fan who is yelling shit all show, BUT THE WRESTLERS CAN'T HEAR YOU AND YOU LOOK LIKE A FOOL. This dude one or two rows behind us tried getting a SAME OLD SHIT chant going during the trios match AND during the main event. Not to mention he tried doing a boring chant multiple times during Starks vs Page and the women's tag match. And he never stopped critiquing everything. Just the most annoying douchebag.

One thing that didn't come through on TV was during the chop fest in the main event, the chops that didn't make a loud slap instead made a loud thud, and those probably hurt even more.

Rampage was...fine. TK booked the matches for Rampage in a really weird order. I mean, I kinda get it once you see what happens in the Rampage main event, but I would have put that in the middle. Darby's match went way too long, but it was rad as hell to finally see Sting live. And people were WHAT'ing Claudio during his promo. I'm still rolling my eyes at WHAT chants in this era. Anyway, but the time the main event came around, people started clearing out. People didn't really give much of a shit about the main event.

Even more disappointing was that considering this was the pre-T-day Dynamite, I had hoped for something a little more special. Like, Tony Khan or Eddie or others coming out to shoot the shit with fans who stuck around. Instead what we got was Jungle Boy coming out to do a little promo about how he still has never been able to have a match in Wintrust and then Jose the Assistant came out. They did a little match thing until JB ran off Jose. Then JB thanked everyone for coming and that was it. No announcement of when they were coming back to Chicago.

All in all it was a fantastic experience to finally get to go to a live AEW show after missing out multiple times, twice of which I bought tickets for shows and couldn't go. I'm hoping I can go to the next All Out in Chicago, but that's always tough because it's a holiday weekend, it's right around my youngest daughter's birthday and my older daughter is back in school at that point so she'll have practice and rehearsals and stuff.

Oh, one final thing to note. Parking couldn't have been easier. This was by far the easiest in and easiest out I've ever had. So, for those not in the Chicagoland area and who haven't been here. McCormick's Place (the convention center) and Wintrust Arena (the arena connected to McCormick's place) are right on the highway. So as you drive into the city, you just stay on the highway and take the route that essentially takes you along the lake because that brings you right along the building where all of this stuff is at. Then you just take the exit to the parking garage, parking was $25, we found parking immediately, walked one flight of stairs up, and we were basically right there at the arena. Getting out was just as easy. Everyone was super organized. Got in line, line lasted a few minutes, got out, and then you're right back on the highway and then we headed home. It was nearly 90 minutes on the dot from where I live to the arena and 90 minutes back. I was a little worried because that's all near the museum district and Soldier Field too and getting to parking over there can be a shitshow. This was the exact opposite.

• Like 12

On 11/25/2022 at 1:27 AM, Shartnado said:

By the way things are going with Starks, he'll be in a full body-cast or wrapped up like a mummy after the MJF match at Winter is Coming.

I am all in on Starks transforming into mini-Yetay.

Finally got to watch.

confused and disappointed by the opening angle but I’ll let it play out. Also give Mox his damn vacation!

I don’t have anything to say about OC-Hager that hasn’t been said better by others. Just an incredible fun match.

HOB is back to bore me to tears again. Free Brody King!

The Starks tournament angle has been incredibly overbooked to me. I guess he has two weeks to be in traction before Winter is Coming. Dean pointed out how old school Ethan Page is, which I said last week doesn’t really work for me in the AEW context.

I actually didn’t pay a lot of attention to the trios match, one thing about having 4-7 matches is there’s not going to be a lot of variety. I have enjoyed seeing the Elite trolling clips here, and Rey Fenix is amazing and I wish they had some sort of X/Cruiser/Flyer title.

I might have to get that Acclaimed Christmas sweatshirt. Really love how over they are, and they clearly do as well.

I was kind of hoping Red Velvet would come back to feud with Jade over being replaced by Leila Gray, but instead I guess Keira Hogan gets to be this month’s victim.

Three way was fine, it was obvious that Skye was going to eat the pin but they let her have some moves. I think AEW needs to stop running that formula when there are 6 wrestlers where everyone gets a big move in one at a time somewhere in the middle of the match. It’s been done to death. Ready for Hayter-Britt to heat up.

Love loved loved that main event. I actually rewound the PiP when I noticed how bloody and raw Jericho’s chest was, and having it be like 4 minutes of nasty chops ruled. Interesting that Jericho won clean.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Love loved loved that main event. I actually rewound the PiP when I noticed how bloody and raw Jericho’s chest was, and having it be like 4 minutes of nasty chops ruled. Interesting that Jericho won clean.

I like a top heel getting a clean win here and there. Ishii is on lone so you don't need to protect him. Guys like Cool Hand Ange and Daddy Magic can be full Honkytonk Man but Jericho should cheat because he can not because he needs to. Thanks for coming to my ted talk

• Like 1

So I've sat and thought about this for a few days.  I struggle with alcoholism, struggled since I was 18(I'm now 39).  I give AEW the benefit of the doubt with things because they haven't destroyed good will the way WWE has regarding on air substance issues, but I felt really uncomfortable watching that angle Weds, but also enamored because it felt so "real", which it was to a sense.  I'm willing to see where it goes, and if Mox gave the blessing for them to use his issues as part of an angle, who am I to say differently, but as someone who has struggled with it, it made me feel uncomfortable and "some sort of way".  A lot of what Danielson said hit home for me and, it was just an uncomfortable, yet amazingly acted segment.

• Like 6

I'm not gonna go segment by segment like I do sometimes, but I did have some thoughts.

-That opening segment was prime soap opera pro wrestling. The subtext I applied is that Regal did so much for Mox in his career that Mox won't just flat out kill him, but isn't gonna let him get away with it either. The "leave and don't come back" trope is one of my favorite Western movie deals. Thought Danielson was really great here too.

-I came to a realization this past week; I don't hate Matthew, Nicholas, and Kenjamin nearly as much when they're compartmentalized into their own little part of the show. I fucking HATED that interminable run on top they had where they were allowed to undercut more over acts and generally self-aggrandize on a weekly basis on tv, but this trios shit isn't too bad. Also, my favorite of all the trolling they did of Punk was the blowing of the Buckshot Lariat, because I know deep down it absolutely bodies Phil that he couldn't do a fairly simple move that a supposedly inferior wrestler can. That's the kind of shit that keeps narcissists awake at night. All six guys kicked ass here.

-HOUSE OF BLACK, BITCHES! Love these dudes. I hope everyone's feeling tip-top emotionally and physically and we can get a proper run on top from these guys. Malakai would be my guy to take the title off the guy who takes it off MJF. Just start lining shit up.

-Some good women's content this week. Toni Storm is a goddamn star. 

-Rick Starks is going to be "THE guy." 

-Last week some idiot in Connecticut went out of his way to jump on Beyonce's internet, log onto this message board, and slander the good goddamn name of Jake Hager. I can't think of a more self-aware, "I know why I'm here" presence on the roster than The All American American. Dude has taken a throwaway, one-off gag about a bucket hat and made it entertaining. It rules and so does he.

-Main event was super fun. Jericho continues to be on one.

• Like 5

WWE getting rid of William Regal is one of the stupidest sackings ever. One of the few in the history of wrestling who can do it all: wrestle, coach, face, heel, commentary, manage, promos, comedy, authority figure. If Regal's available, you hire him on the spot.

• Sad 1