DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/23/2022

The Natural

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Was that supposed to be a Punk reference? I got everything else, but not that one.

2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I figured it's cause they're Christian AF

I watched it back: when Matt was in midair he had his hands over his chest and not in the Punk "go to sleep" position by the side of his head (which...I don't know I'd want any part of my body off-center when backflipping off a tall object either). When he landed, he sat down cross-legged (that's when I started thinking Punk) and closed his eyes as if in prayer. I jokingly had the same thought as The Green Meanie: "the moonsault itself is technically not a Punk reference; they're booing the nice Michinoku Pro-loving Christian boys!" But, maybe a prod at Punk's "Second City Saints?"

Right after, Nick was aping some Randy Savage mannerisms, which I assumed was poking fun at Punk's top rope elbow. That, or the crowd was booing everything the Elite were doing at that point without even stopping to analyze if it made sense to do so and Nick was just clowning around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I’d be happy to see a healthy Punk return  for fun matches and everyone to become closer from all this. But the stinker in me would like for all this trolling to be sheer pettiness. 

I'm thinking it's the latter, my friend.

I watched the Regal/Moxley/Danielson segment online and it was intense. Although I am fearing what will happen with MJF (not appearing on shows or showing up and promising title defenses but never doing them) will happen. Not that I care, the less of him on TV the better. He's the only midcard wrestler there that thinks he should be in the main event despite not having the wrestling ability to be there or the past record of matches to do so. I think of other wrestlers currently at AEW that would have better claim for the AEW title (Wardlow, Kingston, Danielson, even Jericho, Hager, hell give a World title reign to Dustin Rhodes or Billy Gunn).

If he did appear on the show, Chicago crowd would have eaten him alive and chanted CM Punk at him until he got frustrated or mad.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I watched it back: when Matt was in midair he had his hands over his chest and not in the Punk "go to sleep" position by the side of his head (which...I don't know I'd want any part of my body off-center when backflipping off a tall object either). When he landed, he sat down cross-legged (that's when I started thinking Punk) and closed his eyes as if in prayer. I jokingly had the same thought as The Green Meanie: "the moonsault itself is technically not a Punk reference; they're booing the nice Michinoku Pro-loving Christian boys!" But, maybe a prod at Punk's "Second City Saints?"

Right after, Nick was aping some Randy Savage mannerisms, which I assumed was poking fun at Punk's top rope elbow. That, or the crowd was booing everything the Elite were doing at that point without even stopping to analyze if it made sense to do so and Nick was just clowning around.

Pretty sure the "prayer" moonsault was just because it was a dangerous move, and they're been doing the Macho Man gestures at LEAST since they went full heel a good while back. Not everything means something deeper, especially when most of the stuff they did was overt as fuuuuuuuuck. 

• Like 2

I think some people are reading a bit too much into The Elite's trolling. They didn't do it on Saturday, I really think it was just a heel tactic for the Chicago crowd and nothing more, who honestly were not as Anti-Elite as I was (and maybe they were) expecting once the match started. Yea, they were booing them but it wasn't the sustained molten heat I was expecting, and when they were planning out the spots its possible they thought it would really rile up the crowd even more than it did. I say all that to say it may have just been a one-time tactic just for that crowd, it doesn't mean Punk is coming back or there was a bigger purpose beyond being heels.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think some people are reading a bit too much into The Elite's trolling. They didn't do it on Saturday, I really think it was just a heel tactic for the Chicago crowd and nothing more, who honestly were not as Anti-Elite as I was (and maybe they were) expecting once the match started. Yea, they were booing them but it wasn't the sustained molten heat I was expecting, and when they were planning out the spots its possible they thought it would really rile up the crowd even more than it did. I say all that to say it may have just been a one-time tactic just for that crowd, it doesn't mean Punk is coming back or there was a bigger purpose beyond being heels.

I tend to agree with you but I also wonder if they didn’t inadvertently manifest something into the universe. People were not at all hungry for Elite vs Punk on Tuesday. Now?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Orange Cassidy is my wrestler of the year. The guy is so clued into his character, and finds story beats in every match that make sense for both him and his opponent. The match with Hager felt like I was watching Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin or even Jackie Chan in terms of his ability to tell a story and make me laugh with his body and his movement. And to do that with Jake Hager of all people! (Kudos to Jake though for embracing the silliness of the hat gimmick and committing to it). 

Hager was amazing; he had every right to say no to the hat gimmick but instead it was hilarious and gave him some real break out personality. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Would be really interesting if Dragon and Claudio were in cahoots with Regal. And maybe that gets us to MJF/BCC vs Mox/Yuta/Eddie (who knows what a scumbag Claudio is.)

Claudio is more of a star than MJF is, so of course that won't happen. Danielson would go from dealing with The Miz to Great Value Miz.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

My only problem with it is that it's all people are talking about, when they should be talking about the beating Ishii laid on Jericho and how amazing that match was.

People who know how to make sure the conversation is about them made sure the conversation is about them. Their best quality and worst quality are one and the same. 

• Like 5

Late to the party - in the Full Gear thread, I said this week would be really important to see if they could ride the momentum of a great PPV, and thankfully, they delivered big here IMO. It's an abstract, sort of intangible thing, but this (like FG) FELT like an AEW broadcast should. It may be as simple as having The Elite back, or having a wild (full) crowd, but that's two in a row that really, really clicked for me. On to Rampage!

• Like 8