DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/23/2022

The Natural

Dreading the discussion around the ratings, every year viewership dips because the day before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar holiday in the US and everybody's out getting sloshed with family. I just hope the show is solid and follows up on all these big story movements.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't mean to be so negative, I really don't. I still enjoy AEW way more than anything else out there, even if their current stories don't do a damn thing for me.

AEW is a dead company~!!!!

I get what you're saying here. I've been in the same boat. Going into Full Gear, I wasn't really feeling any of the storylines. That show did seem like a reset, though, so I'm optimistic that tonight, we'll get some new directions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I get what you're saying here. I've been in the same boat. Going into Full Gear, I wasn't really feeling any of the storylines. That show did seem like a reset, though, so I'm optimistic that tonight, we'll get some new directions.

It was definitely a reset, but it's not one that I'm all that invested in. I'm here for the ride, but I'm not going to enjoy it most likely. That statement mainly just applies to the MJF title reign, since I'm not a fan. Everything else will hold my interest now, or hopefully anyway. I usually watch on an hour delay so I'll just fast forward through shit I don't care about.

I was on such an incredible high with Punk's debut and his little 8 month-ish run, so I was bound to experience a massive crash. It happened when he got injured after Double or Nothing, but they kept the title on him so I came back up for a little bit, and then, well, yeah, All Out happened.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 7

I wonder if this Jade v Bow Wow stuff is gonna lead to another mixed tag

I want this to be the beginning of Main Event Keith Lee.

Keith Lee going around cleaning up Malarky! 

He should get his own version of The Lex Express if only such a bus could be procured! 

Spoiler

Joe Biden's “No Malarkey” tour, explained - Vox

And Punk is very much the "asshole friend." The one that you have that you enjoy hanging out with, but you have to fight cringing when they're with you when you're out with other people because who knows what the hell they're going to say. It's like, well, more than likely he's going to say some shit and I'm going to get a text later asking me what was up with your boy.

Then months will pass and I'll be like, no no no, he's different now. He was just in a bad place. And he'll be changed for a bit until he pops off about something again and then inside you're like, "dammit, you had one job."

• Like 3

I'll go out on a limb and predict the arena tonight will maybe have some CM Punk chants, but they'll probably get shouted down. I at least don't plan on participating in those chants.

I do plan on marking the fuck out for Hayter if she's on the show and Ishii.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It was definitely a reset, but it's not one that I'm all that invested in. I'm here for the ride, but I'm not going to enjoy it most likely. That statement mainly just applies to the MJF title reign, since I'm not a fan. Everything else will hold my interest now, or hopefully anyway. I usually watch on an hour delay so I'll just fast forward through shit I don't care about.

I was on such an incredible high with Punk's debut and his little 8 month-ish run, so I was bound to experience a massive crash. It happened when he got injured after Double or Nothing, but they kept the title on him so I came back up for a little bit, and then, well, yeah, All Out happened.

That's pretty much where I'm at. The AEW live fans deciding to turn all the heels into faces (combined with MJF hedging on his full-kayfabe heel character) has been frustrating.

I really liked the Mox run, and I get that he's earned his break, but I'm not invested or confident in MJF as a top guy as a face, and not really as a heel either as I think his promos are wildly overrated. I love BCC but I do agree that they've been in a holding pattern, albeit with fun matches. And as I said elsewhere, Elite-DT best of 7 may be fun for some, but not for me. And Jade Cargill has gotten incredibly stale and boring.

On the other hand, excited to see what's next with The Acclaimed and with Hayter (and how they reconcile that "interim" title). Think it's also time to get FTR back on screen regularly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And Punk is very much the "asshole friend." The one that you have that you enjoy hanging out with, but you have to fight cringing when they're with you when you're out with other people because who knows what the hell they're going to say. It's like, well, more than likely he's going to say some shit and I'm going to get a text later asking me what was up with your boy.

Then months will pass and I'll be like, no no no, he's different now. He was just in a bad place. And he'll be changed for a bit until he pops off about something again and then inside you're like, "dammit, you had one job."

After this last little issue with AEW, I'm all out of time for CM Punk. Really happy with what he brought to AEW and the MJF storyline, but the backstage drama and bullshit seems to always center around that man. Almost every place he has ever been, there's always stories of him being a little pecker. 

Whoever said the Elite ARE AEW is 100% spot on. AEW just feels like AEW with the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega. They are what CM Punk wanted to be, except their revolution blew up a little bit more than Punks.

• Like 5

I'm know I'm not alone in saying that the wrestling style Punk brought to Dynamite, Rampage, and PPVs was a breath of fresh air because it took an older style of wrestling and made it work in the current era. So if these guys can all still figure out how to do business then I'll be happy to see Punk on screen again, but I'll also be waiting to see how it all falls apart.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm heavy handed in my hatred of Punk, and make no mistakes, I think he's an overrated asshole with severe maturity issues, but there is no way I would be as into MJF as a champ without the Punk feud, so for that I'm thankful for him being there.  The rest of his run, meh, take it or leave it, including, IMO, the only bad Hangman Page match this year, but the MJF feud was pretty damn incredible to the point where I went out and bought a T-Shirt from PWT the day after their Dog Collar Match with the "fight poster" on it and I'd put neither MJF or Punk in my top 25 all time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

The rest of his run, meh, take it or leave it, including, IMO, the only bad Hangman Page match this year

Yeah, I mean I've only watched it once from start to finish and missed the whole middle portion on the first go-around, but I felt it was a bit of a mess. With Punk failing to properly perform the Punk-shot lariat TWICE, being the low point, other than the finish. Was hoping for Page retaining, but seeing that it was very unlikely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I do plan on marking the fuck out for Hayter if she's on the show and Ishii.

LARIETTOOOOOO (Ishii's sliding lariet is almost as cool as Hayter's rip cord but not quite)

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

That's pretty much where I'm at. The AEW live fans deciding to turn all the heels into faces (combined with MJF hedging on his full-kayfabe heel character) has been frustrating.

When the super likable Ruby got booed against Strat I read it as the Fans saying "We like the new toys but doing forget about the Day one folks in the process" I think that's kinda happening with other acts as well

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He'll probably announce another match late, but it's pretty clear Tony just could not give a single shit about women's wrestling.

Looks like a fine show otherwise. 

I know that Bock vs Jumbo 2 is 50 minutes and all, but the guy really needs to find some way to put a women's match in there already. Or at least a championship celebration for Hayter.

22 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I know that Bock vs Jumbo 2 is 50 minutes and all, but the guy really needs to find some way to put a women's match in there already. Or at least a championship celebration for Hayter.

As someone who's not afraid of spoilers, is it against he spirit of this fun if I'm done with Bock and Jumbo before the Dynamite at the Forum?

Edited by John from Cincinnati

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As someone who's not afraid of spoilers, is it against he spirit of this fun if I'm done with Bock and Jumbo before the Dynamite at the Forum?

My primarily goal  to figure out how to fill that extra time on my commute on Thursdays where I would have been watching that portion of Dynamite for a span of multiple weeks (obviously not an issue this week but I've got to start somewhere). You whatever brings you the most joy through this journey, my friend. I can tell you right now that the 79 Hawaii match (number 2) is pretty awesome and maybe Jumbo's best performance of the 70s (maybe!) though.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GenerousShockedCob-size_restricted.gif

@The Natural ^^^

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm know I'm not alone in saying that the wrestling style Punk brought to Dynamite, Rampage, and PPVs was a breath of fresh air because it took an older style of wrestling and made it work in the current era. So if these guys can all still figure out how to do business then I'll be happy to see Punk on screen again, but I'll also be waiting to see how it all falls apart.

I definitely enjoyed his aping of Bret's stuff, but in the end, he ironically aped Shawn a whooooole lot more - and sober, too, no less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2