DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2022 - WEEK THIRTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Don’t look now but Devon Achane is playing tonight, and suddenly the A&M offense has some life again.

A team with nothing left to play for has LSU on the ropes heading to the 4th quarter.

I was coming here to say that I'm going to laugh for hours if TAMU actually beats LSU after they turned their season around and got into playoff contention despite losing by 27 at home earlier this year.

Remember what I said this week about Auburn’s HC job being equal parts ball coach and pastor?

I feel like that’s part of the reason that the fascination with Reverend Freeze has persisted for so long among some auburn folks.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Miami is getting shellacked by Pitt and will finish 5-7, as well.

Going to be an interesting offseason there. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both a mass portal exodus of players and a bit of coaching staff bloodletting. The 2022 Hurricane season was a total failure of culture. No other way to explain it.

What a win for Michigan. They are 24-2 since firing Don Brown and Josh Gattis leaving. Both of those guys have bombed at their new jobs. The second half today might be the best half of Michigan football I've ever seen. 

I know that ESPN will do everything in their power to get Alabama into the CFP so we need Georgia, TCU, USC, and Michigan to all win their conferences to make sure that doesn't happen. No, ESPN, teams that finish 3rd in their conference do not belong in the CFP. 

I would like to point out that despite all the complaints that the CFP is “just the same teams every year” we are heading into a playoff without Clemson and Ohio State for the 2nd straight year, without Oklahoma for the third, and the first without Alabama since 2019.

It’s almost like the 4-team system is fine and everybody else just needed to get better! 

• Like 2

I really don’t get why people are getting so worked up over what ESPN wants. They want whatever will get them the biggest ratings, and let’s be honest in no way does Alabama draw even 1/4 of the west coast audience USC will bring in. Plus they’ve lost to teams (Alabama) that have both been badly exposed.

If you’re going to worry about what ESPN wants worry more about Ohio State (and their one loss, to a top 2 team) getting in. That at least has some merit, and if USC or TCU F up next week it probably should happen. Losing to an undefeated team is much better than losing to frauds like LSU and Tennessee, or losing to a 3 loss Kansas State (who you beat during the regular season), or losing to a 3 loss Utah team (for the second time this year).

Unless something goes completely haywire Alabamas playoff chances should be 0%. There’s no metric that says Alabama is a top 4 team.

Edited by LF2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

There it is.

A flashy hire for Wisco that sends the exact message they want to send, but perhaps an even bigger win for Kansas. With Nebraska and UW jobs off the board, most of the key potential suitors for Leipold are off the board.

Didn't Leipold take himself out of the running and sign an extension last week?

--------

I've seen a few different commentators/columnists today arguing that the field should be set, and next week should just be about seeding because it's "unfair to punish a team for losing the extra game they played their way into and reward the team that didn't have to play because they didn't earn it" and I bet Wisconsin would really like to know where those people were in 2017.

Also it's fun that Michigan basically overnight went from "they're undefeated but look at the schedule" to "they have the best pair of wins in the country, and both were blow outs, are we sure they shouldn't be #1?"

• Like 1

Fickell is a good hire for Wisconsin, guess he got tired of waiting for OSU.

I don’t get the Deion hype, but I also have always hated him so maybe it’s just my bias.

If LSU beat A&M, would’ve been interesting to see if A&M would have found the money for the buyout and a clean start. Now they’re going to try and sell hope to keep their 2022 class from bailing and hold on to the scraps of their ‘23 class.

And my Longhorns go 8-4, which is what I would’ve been perfectly happy with at the start of the season, but instead I think of how 3 or 4 breaks (and one game with fair refs) and they might be 11-1.

Unsurprisingly given the stakes and ranking, Michigan/Ohio was once again the most watched game of the regular season, at approximately 17 million viewers (up 3% from last year's 15.8 million.) It's tentatively the most watched regular season game of the decade, with the estimate putting it just slightly ahead of the 2016 double overtime Michigan/Ohio game.

It gives The Game 3 of the 4 most watched regular season games of the last decade, and five of the top ten, in addition to the most watched regular season game of the last 25+ years in 2006 (actually most watched since the 1993 FSU/ND game.)

Edited by Brian Fowler

• RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic